What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA Romance short story about girl from a civilization that only comes out at night falling in love with boy from the people who come out during the day.

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Raivyn (last edited Apr 25, 2019 12:53PM) (new)

Raivyn | 6 comments I read this around 2010-2012. It was a free e-book for the Kindle Fire on Amazon. I think the author was a woman. It's about two civilizations that are segregated. There are the "night people" (I don't remember the exact terminology used in the story) who come out at night only, then go back to sleep during the day. Then there are the "sun people" who do the opposite. Both civilizations are separated by this giant gate if I remember correctly. The night people have light skin while the day people have darker skin.
The story follows a girl from the night people and she somehow ends up being locked out from night civilization so she can't return home. That's how she meets a boy from the sun people and they eventually fall in love. I remember the girl having a younger sibling btw. Spoiler details below.

(view spoiler)

Edit: I also want to emphasize that this was a short story, not a full book so it might be harder to find.

I'd love if anyone knew what this was or even had guesses. I remember this story being really touching.

message 2: by Bridget (last edited Apr 23, 2019 09:27AM) (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments Tell the Wind and Fire by Sarah Rees Brennan?
If not this one, I could swear I know what book you're talking about. Did it possibly have both a white guy and a dark-skinned woman on the cover? I remember seeing it at some point and wanting to read it. I'll have to go through my TBR. =)

message 3: by Bridget (last edited Apr 23, 2019 09:29AM) (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments I think I may have found it! Is it Plus One by Elizabeth Fama? Plus One by Elizabeth Fama

message 4: by Raivyn (new)

Raivyn | 6 comments Bridget wrote: "I think I may have found it! Is it Plus One by Elizabeth Fama? Plus One by Elizabeth Fama"

Neither of those are it, but thank you for trying!! I might just check out Plus One regardless because it sounds really good.

message 5: by Raivyn (new)

Raivyn | 6 comments Bridget wrote: "Tell the Wind and Fire by Sarah Rees Brennan?
If not this one, I could swear I know what book you're talking about. Did it possibly have both a white guy and a dark..."

To answer your question, the story was actually about a darker skinned guy and a white girl.

message 6: by Orla (new)

Orla Eady | 3 comments Could it be The Secret Hour it's the first book in the Midnighters series by Scott Westerfield?

message 7: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments Huh. I had no idea there were several books with this similar plot, although it's definitely a good one. I hope you find it! I'll be adding it to my TBR 😉

message 8: by Raivyn (new)

Raivyn | 6 comments Orla wrote: "Could it be The Secret Hour it's the first book in the Midnighters series by Scott Westerfield?"

Also no, but thank you!

message 9: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15786 comments Still looking, Raivyn?

message 10: by Raivyn (new)

Raivyn | 6 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Still looking, Raivyn?"

YES. I'm no closer to finding it and I'd REALLY love to reread it.

message 11: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15786 comments Do you think it might have been collected in a book of short stories?

If so, might want to check the YA Science Fiction Anthologies list.