Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Featured Author Challenge > FAC: Jennifer L. Armentrout and Cat Johnson (May 2019)

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fran, Moderator (last edited May 19, 2019 08:53AM) (new)

Fran | 11003 comments Welcome to the slightly revamped FAC Challenge!

As of February, we are showcasing TWO authors each month instead of one. Double the pleasure, double the fun!
-You do not need to read a book by both authors. Please feel free to choose either one or both authors.
-If you decide to read a book by both authors, please post your results in separate posts. It will be much easier for us to track, and everyone else to see how you felt about your reading choice.
-There will be two different sub-genres of Romance to choose from, with one author recognized as 'Queen of Romance' and the other as 'Princess of Romance' (she may be slightly less widely known than the Queen).

message 2: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Apr 20, 2019 09:20PM) (new)

Fran | 11003 comments May- Queen of Romance- Jennifer L. Armentrout-

#1 New York Times and #1 International Bestselling author Jennifer lives in Charles Town, West Virginia. All the rumors you’ve heard about her state aren’t true. When she’s not hard at work writing. she spends her time reading, watching really bad zombie movies, pretending to write, hanging out with her husband and her Jack Russell Loki. In early 2015, Jennifer was diagnosed with retinitis pigmentosa, a group of rare genetic disorders that involve a breakdown and death of cells in the retina, eventually resulting in loss of vision, among other complications. Due to this diagnosis, educating people on the varying degrees of blindness has become of passion of hers, right alongside writing, which she plans to do as long as she can.

Her dreams of becoming an author started in algebra class, where she spent most of her time writing short stories….which explains her dismal grades in math. Jennifer writes young adult paranormal, science fiction, fantasy, and contemporary romance.

Her Wicked Series has been optioned by PassionFlix. Jennifer has won numerous awards, including the 2013 Reviewers Choice Award for Wait for You, the 2015 Editor’s Pick for Fall with Me, and the 2014/2015 Moerser-Jugendbuch- Jury award for Obsidian. Her young adult romantic suspense novel Don't Look Back was a 2014 nominated Best in Young Adult Fiction by YALSA. Her adult romantic suspense novel Till Death was a Amazon Editor’s Pick and iBook Book of the Month. Her young adult contemporary The Problem with Forever is a 2017 RITA Award Winner in Young Adult Fiction. She also writes Adult and New Adult contemporary and paranormal romance under the name J. Lynn.

She is the owner of ApollyCon and The Origin Event, the successful annual events that features over hundred bestselling authors in Young Adult, New Adult, and Adult Fiction, panels, parties, and more. She is also the creator and sole financier of the annual Write Your Way To RT Book Convention, a contest that gives aspiring authors a chance to win a fully paid trip to RT Book Reviews.

Jennifer's GR page can be found here- Jennifer L. Armentrout

message 3: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Apr 20, 2019 09:22PM) (new)

Fran | 11003 comments May- Princess of Romance- Cat Johnson-

Cat Johnson is a top 10 New York Times bestseller and the author of the USA Today bestselling Hot SEALs series.
She writes contemporary romance that usually features hot alpha heroes (who often wear combat or cowboy boots) and the sassy heroines brave enough to love them. Known for her unique marketing she has sponsored pro bull riders, owns a collection of camouflage and western wear for book signings, and has used bologna to promote romance novels.

Awards Cat has won include-
Unridden: A Cowboy Menage Romance -Best Western Romance of 2010 Authors After Dark Bookie Award.
Ride- Best Western Short Romance of 2011 Authors After Dark Bookie Award.
One Night with a Cowboy -Best Western Romance of 2013 Authors After Dark Book Award

Cat Johnson's series list-
Studs in Spurs (9 books)
Red, Hot & Blue (12 books)
Hot SEALs (15 books)
Oklahoma Nights (3 books)
Midnight Heat Midnight Cowboys (3 books)
The Trilogy Collection (3 books)
Billionaire Bad Boys (4 books)
Maverick Ranch (2 books)
Crash O'Malley (2 books)
Perfect Strangers (2 books)
Sex, Lies & Wedding Cake (3 books)
For Hire (3 books)
Bad Boys of Mount Olympus (4 books)

Cat's GR page can be found here- Cat Johnson

message 4: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Apr 20, 2019 09:23PM) (new)

Fran | 11003 comments Challenge Task: Read one book written by one or both of our featured authors.
Challenge Duration: The whole month of May.

To sign up:
Post your interest and the book(s) you are planning to read.

For each author, you must also signify if you are:
A - I'm a big fan! I'm excited to read another of her books.
B - Familiar with her work, and wouldn't mind reading her again.
C - Totally new to this author. Will see how I like it.
D - Didn't like the last one I've read, but willing to give it another chance.

To complete:
Post the date when you've completed your book(s).

You must also say if, after reading:
A - would definitely look at her other books, since I've enjoyed this one very much.
B - could take it or leave it. Was not an unpleasant experience but I'm not burning rubber to get to her other books.
C - Oh well, I tried. Definitely not my cup of tea.

A little review of the book read is welcomed but not required.

message 5: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11003 comments *

message 6: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11003 comments *

message 7: by Loz (last edited May 29, 2019 06:54PM) (new)

Loz | 54 comments I'm a C for both authors. Wouldn't mind checking out Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout
And / or
Night with a SEAL by Cat Johnson.

EDIT: Where did May go? I completely forgot about these challenge books and have run out of time! But because I love checking out new to me authors I will hopefully remember to read these ones soon!

message 8: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 1245 comments I'm a C for Jennifer Armentrout and will be reading Wait for You (Wait for You, #1) by J. Lynn

I'm a B for Cat Johnson and will be reading Saved By A SEAL (Hot SEALs, #2) by Cat Johnson

Mamacita aka MawMaw  (mamawantsbedtimestory) | 766 comments I'm a C - Totally new to this author. Will see how I like it For both authors.

I have alot of both of their books on my TBR tho & will need to see what I can find.

message 10: by Pamela (last edited May 03, 2019 12:58PM) (new)

Pamela aka Scottieluvr (scottieluvr) Cat Johnson: A - I'm a big fan! I'm excited to read another of her books.
- Night with a SEAL (Hot SEALs) (Volume 1); 83 pgs; May 2nd - 5 stars

A - would definitely look at her other books, since I've enjoyed this one very much.

message 11: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11003 comments I'm an A for Jennifer L. Armentrout.

I'm a B for Cat Johnson.

Not sure what I'm going to read yet :)

message 12: by Nidhi (new)

Nidhi Bhatt | 2 comments I'm an A for J Armentrout. I loved her Lux series and Covenant Series. May be I'll try reading the Origins series book 1, which takes place in the same world as Lux series. I've read so many of her books now that I think about it.

I'm a C for Cat Johnson. She's completely new to me and I'll give her a try.

message 13: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19705 comments I'm a B for Jennifer L. Armentrout, I read one book and even though it was good I didn't read anymore. I'm going to read Wait for You.

And I'm a C for Cat Johnson. I'm going to read Midnight Ride.

message 14: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 770 comments I have never participated in the FAC so I'm going to try it this month. Both authors for me are a C. I've never read anything by either. I have 1 book by Armentrout on my kindle and 4 Cat Johnson's.
I'm going to try and read Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentroutand Night with a SEAL by Cat Johnson

message 15: by Fran, Moderator (last edited May 18, 2019 03:30PM) (new)

Fran | 11003 comments I started out an A for Armentrout and read the short story "The Client", found in The Sirens of SaSS Anthology. I really liked it! I wish I had more time this month to read something longer by her, but I'm glad I got to fit in a shortie :)

I finish an A.

message 16: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2049 comments I read Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout. It was ok, I didn't really care for it. The main characters seem a bit naive to me but it's a YA so I get it. I started out as a D and ended up a B. I'm going to try a book by Cat Johnson too.

Origin (Lux, #4) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

message 17: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19705 comments I read Wait for You by Jennifer L. Armentrout as J. Lynn and liked it. I am not usually a huge fan of YA and though this skirted the line between that and NA, it had a little more angst than I prefer. Still I was involved with the story and wanted a happy ending for the MCs.

I started a B and I end a B - I would read her again, but am not going to rush out and buy all I can find.

message 18: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19705 comments I read Midnight Ride by Cat Johnson and it was good, but not great. I liked the story, but it was a little simpler and a little 'cleaner' than I prefer. I'm not opposed to reading her again, but am not going to seek out her books.

I started a C and end a low B.