Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

Hugo Award 2019 Shorts discuss > “The Last Banquet of Temporal Confections” by Tina Connolly

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is our discussion of the 2019 Hugo Award "best novelette" finalist...

The Last Banquet of Temporal Confections” by Tina Connolly
It can be read on-line at Tor.com.

This is part of our discussion of the 2019 Hugo Award short story & novelette finalists.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

This fantasy posits the interesting premise that a chef can create candies, pastries & other desserts that evoke past memories so vividly it's as if you relive them. "This truffle tastes of regret with just a hint of despair at the finish."

The narration, provided by the chef's wife, is nicely done. Not my favorite, but enjoyable enough.

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2510 comments I really enjoyed it. Interesting to use one memories as a weapon. And loved the names of the delicacies, as well as the title of the story.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Andrea wrote: "I really enjoyed it. Interesting to use one memories as a weapon."

Yes, "Temporal Confections" is a cute term for the dish.

BTW, it reminded me a bit of a scene in Pixar's Ratatouille where a dish also evokes strong memories (in the food critic), though not as intense as Connolly imagines.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 522 comments Although you can feel where it’s most likely going still enjoyed this one. I’m still glad for the ‘happy’ ending.
Another interesting way to tell a story - it’s the Hugo year of fun formats! So interesting how each dessert will be different for each person and how it can change over time.
Cool idea, well developed I thought.

message 6: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 68 comments I absolutely loved this one. Not sure if it's because I also love baking but thought it was such a clever, interesting way of handling the reluctant resistance vs fantasy tyrant.

message 7: by Oleksandr (new)

Oleksandr Zholud I found the idea interesting but I think that the ending broke the rules of how pastries work, so I lowered the overall rating