Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

Book Discussions > 2019 Hugo Award Short Story & Novelette Finalists

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 24, 2019 07:00AM) (new)

This is our discussion of the Finalists for the 2019 Hugo Awards in the Short Story and Novelette categories. Please comment of each individual story in it's own topic in Hugo Award 2019 Short Story Finalists folder. Click on the story title below to visit the discussion topic for each story. (I've included links to where each of the stories can be read on-line following each story title & author.)

Best Novelette Finalists:

If at First You Don’t Succeed, Try, Try Again” by Zen Cho ( B&N Blog)

The Last Banquet of Temporal Confections” by Tina Connolly (Tor.com)

Nine Last Days on Planet Earth" by Daryl Gregory (Tor.com)

The Thing About Ghost Stories” by Naomi Kritzer (Uncanny Magazine)

When We Were Starless” by Simone Heller (Clarkesworld Magazine)

(Note: "The Only Harmless Great Thing" by Brooke Bolander is the only novelette finalist not available to read for free on-line; However, we already discussed that in the The Only Harmless Great Thing discussion topic last year. If you want to discuss it as well, please do! It was one of Tor.com's ebookclub giveaways, so it may already be in your collection.)

Best Short Story Finalists:

The Court Magician” by Sarah Pinsker (Lightspeed magazine)

The Rose MacGregor Drinking and Admiration Society” by T. Kingfisher (Uncanny Magazine)

The Secret Lives of the Nine Negro Teeth of George Washington” by P. Djèlí Clark (Fireside Magazine)

STET” by Sarah Gailey (Fireside Magazine)

The Tale of the Three Beautiful Raptor Sisters, and the Prince Who Was Made of Meat” by Brooke Bolander (Uncanny Magazine)

A Witch’s Guide to Escape: A Practical Compendium of Portal Fantasies” by Alix E. Harrow (Apex Magazine)

Please comment of each individual story in it's own topic in Hugo Award 2019 Short Story Finalists folder. (Links to each story's topic in the list of finalists above.) You can use this topic for general discussions of the anthology as a whole.

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 524 comments Thanks for doing all this work of linking all the stories for us geezer leader!

This would be the right place to compare the categories and which we would vote for I think?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Rachel wrote: "This would be the right place to compare the categories and which we would vote for I think? "

This would be that place.

Some general observations I had:
- The traditional "big three" paid magazine (Analog, Asimov's, Fantasy & Science Fiction) didn't get any nominees. That's too bad; they still print great stories, it's just no one pays for short stories anymore.
- Also no nominees from original anthologies; probably the asm "no one pays to read short stories anymore" issue.
- I noticed one issue of Uncanny and one issue of Fireside each got two nominees; I suspect there's something structural in the nomination process to account for this.

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2665 comments G33z3r wrote: "Also no nominees from original anthologies; probably the asm "no one pays to read short stories anymore" issue."

Actually, I was thinking that anthologies seem more common on bookstore shelves these days. However, when I thought about it more, they are anthologies like Epic or Rogue where they are usually stories from an existing universes (e.g Jim Butcher has a billion Dresden stories in urban fantasy anthologies). I think you may be right about standalone shorts. They exist of course, but will people pay? Good question. I nab them when I find them at a book fair, but don't generally buy them from the store.

As for the big three, I was actually in a magazine store today and was holding a copy of Asimov's in my hand looking for that slip you'd send in to subscribe to see how much it cost...then I remembered there are about several free magazines online I could read (with hundreds of issues to catch up) so why would I pay for it (and have the issues take up space on my shelf) when I could just read equally good stories online....plus I have too much stuff to read anyway, I couldn't keep up with a magazine subscription :) I've got a few boxes of Analog magazines I got for 5 dollars a box when a used bookstore went out of business I should read first anyhow...

So much to read, so little time.

Almost done with the last story, then I'll have to decide which one I would pick as a winner. I'd like to see other people post who they'd like to see win too.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 524 comments I need to read one more for the shorts. A few more for the novelettes

It’s funny - when I’m ready to read short fiction more (more time) I’ve been mostly pulled to Tor.com, Uncanny and Beyond Ceaseless Skies - I think b/c a lot of my favorite stuff has been coming from those.
Tho if I find time to regularly read one I believe I will try to pay for issues I read online to support that part of the industry since I’m realizing it’s more important to get new authors out there

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 524 comments it's official I loved the Raptor sisters the most. I was thinking I'd like the Witches compendium the most, and that STET was the most powerful/affecting. but i LOVED Raptor sisters.

message 7: by SA (new)

SA | 81 comments No reviews, just my rankings-
Best Novelette:
***** The Last Banquet, Nine Last Days, When We Were Starless
****The Thing About Ghost Stories
*** If at First You Don’t Succeed, The Only Harmless Great Thing

Short Story:
****The Secret Lives, The Tale of the Three, STET
***The Court Magician, A Witch’s Guide, The Rose MacGregor,,,

message 8: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2665 comments Favorite Novelette - “The Last Banquet of Temporal Confections”
Favorite Short - “The Rose MacGregor Drinking and Admiration Society”

But "STET" was by far the most impactful, the one that really had the most emotional effect on me, and I was impressed on how well that was achieved without an actual "story" (i.e. plot) being present. Though I enjoyed Rose the most, I would probably vote for STET as it's like nothing I've read before in form or power.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 524 comments I’m already thinking that my order is changing. Should I pick based on initial feelings or how they hold up o we the long term?