Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Archives > Nominate Our June Books of the Month

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Apr 21, 2019 03:59PM) (new)

Diane | 12832 comments Post your nominations here for the June group reads. A significant portion of the book must be set in the featured location. We will be reading a selection set in Belgium, a translated book from a female writer, and a memoir from a writer from a MENA country.

Belgium*:
Nominate a book set in Belgium.
Belgium Book List: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Belgium Bookshelf: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Women in Translation
Nominate a translated book from an Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, or Dravidian language that is written by a female author. Examples of some of the more common Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, and Dravidian languages include Assamese, Avestan, Awadhi, Balochi, Beary, Bengali, Bhojpuri, Bishnupuriya, Brahui, Chhattisgarhi, Gondi, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Kashmiri, Kokborok, Konkani, Kurdish, Kurukh, Maithili, Malayalam, Maldivian, Manipuri, Marathi, Marwari, Mizo, Muria, Nepali, Nuristani, Odia, Ossetian, Pashto, Persian, Pukhto, Punjabi, Rajasthani, Rangpuri, Romani, Sanskrit, Sarikoli, Sindhi, Sinhala, Tamil, Telugu, Tulu, Urdu, Zaza-Gorani. Examples of some of the countries who speak these languages include Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Iran, Kurdistan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka. Note: Many authors from these regions are exophonic, meaning they write in language other than their primary language (usually English, and therefore not in translation).

World Memoirs
Nominate a memoir or autobiography from one of the following MENA countries: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen. The book must be a non-fiction memoir and set in one of these countries/regions.

For a list of books we have read in previous months, click here: Previously Read Group Read Books

*For our featured world country selection (this month it is the Dominican Republic): If the book selected by popular vote is not written by a native or resident author of at least 1 year, the book written by a native/resident author with the highest votes will also be selected, resulting in two book selections for that country.

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1002 comments For Belgium, The Flaxfield by Stijn Streuvels.

message 4: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valroos) | 339 comments For Belgium, I would like to nominate War and Turpentine by Stefan Hertmans

message 5: by Carol (last edited Apr 21, 2019 10:54AM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1002 comments For Women in Translation, I nominate River of Fire: Aag Ka Darya by Qurratulain Hyder. (India). From the GR bio, “without question the most important novel of 20th Century Urdu literature.”

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1002 comments I found this list of 33 translated novels written by Indian women authors that might be of interest to nominating members. It is organized by original language of the work, which is not common for book-list bloggers in my experience.

https://www.womensweb.in/2017/08/wome...

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1002 comments @diane, if we can nominate two books in a category, I would like to also nominate Memoirs of an Early Arab Feminist: The Life and Activism of Anbara Salam Khalidi by عنبرة سلام الخالدي (anbara salam khalidi) in World Memoirs. Khalidi was born in Beirut in 1897, translated Homer and Virgil into Arabic, among other things and died in Beirut in 1986.

message 8: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12832 comments Carol wrote: "I found this list of 33 translated novels written by Indian women authors that might be of interest to nominating members. It is organized by original language of the work, which is not common for ..."

I love this list!!!!!!!! Thanks for posting it!

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1002 comments Diane wrote: "Carol wrote: "I found this list of 33 translated novels written by Indian women authors that might be of interest to nominating members. It is organized by original language of the work, which is n..."

You’re very welcome, Diane!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

For World Memoirs, MENA country, I nominate Leap of Faith: Memoirs of an Unexpected Life by Noor Al-Hussein. An Arab-American woman marries the king of Jordan.

message 12: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valroos) | 339 comments For Women in Translation I would like to nominate The Women’s Courtyard by Khadija Mastur

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 299 comments For Belgium King Leopold's Ghost

message 15: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12832 comments Nominations are now closed.