Play Book Tag discussion

A Red Herring Without Mustard (Flavia de Luce, #3)
This topic is about A Red Herring Without Mustard
Archive: Other Books > A Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel N. | 1444 comments The book begins with 11 year old Flavia accidentally burning down a fortune tellers tent. She invites the woman to stay on her families property and later that night finds the woman injured but not dead. Soon a dead body does appear on the Poseidon fountain on her families estate. Flavia of course helps with the investigation. I like Flavia and the inspector. Flavia's sisters are so obnoxious for no reason and they nearly ruin the books for me. I always hesitate before reading a book in the series due to the horrible sisters.

message 2: by Karin (last edited Apr 21, 2019 04:27PM) (new) - added it

Karin | 6930 comments Ah, but over the course of the series there is less of the horrible sister stuff, although you are a few books shy of that. This is ever so much better on audiobook. And, given her age, one has to take her tales of her sisters with a large grain of salt :). I am on the 10th one, but switched to audiobook with number 5 and I strongly recommend listening to number 4 (which still has the sisters).

There are things going on behind the scenes that won't be revealed for some books to come as well. However, I am a strong Flavia fan even though the books aren't all equally well written. The narrator helps even that out.

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2191 comments Karin wrote: " This is ever so much better on audiobook. And, given her age, one has to ..."

Karin, I totally agree with you on the audio. i wouldn't have it any other way because the reader is perfect for Flavia!