The Banished Lands and The Bloodsworn discussion

Introduce yourself and books you have read in the Banished Lands

Comments Showing 1-50 of 169 (169 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by William (new)

William Gwynne (willjrgwynne) | 479 comments Mod
Introduce yourself...

message 2: by Ella (new)

Ella Sloat | 17 comments Hello I'm Ella, from Arizona. I'm a pharmacy tech during the week and a bookworm when I'm not at work. I read mostly fantasy books and I don't even remember how I found John Gwynne's books but I fell in love with them and the rest is history. Right now I'm all caught up and I'm left to read A Time of Blood and that makes me extra excited and nervous.

message 3: by Edward (last edited Apr 20, 2019 10:58AM) (new)

Edward | 59 comments Mod
Ella wrote: "Hello I'm Ella, from Arizona. I'm a pharmacy tech during the week and a bookworm when I'm not at work. I read mostly fantasy books and I don't even remember how I found John Gwynne's books but I fe..."

Hi Ella! Great to have you in the war band :) Any lover of the Banished Lands is welcome! I hope you enjoy A Time of Blood! It will certainly keep you on your toes :)

message 4: by William (new)

Ella wrote: "Hello I'm Ella, from Arizona. I'm a pharmacy tech during the week and a bookworm when I'm not at work. I read mostly fantasy books and I don't even remember how I found John Gwynne's books but I fe..."

It's great to have a fellow lover of John Gwynne's books. I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy A Time of Blood when you get around to reading it. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the novels :).

message 5: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Sambora (sambora) | 1 comments Hello! My name is Jackson, in a Bookseller from East Sussex. I've been lucky enough to get early copies of both A Time Of Dread and A Time Of Blood so I'm all up to date in the world of the Banished Lands! My favourite character from F&TF was Maquin and in B&B it's definitely Riv. I know I'm super early and eager it I'm already so excited for book three!

message 6: by Edward (new)

Edward | 59 comments Mod
WittyJackson wrote: "Hello! My name is Jackson, in a Bookseller from East Sussex. I've been lucky enough to get early copies of both A Time Of Dread and A Time Of Blood so I'm all up to date in the world of the Banishe..."

Hello Jackson, great to have you with us :) So brilliant you're all up to date! I am 100% sure the wait for A TIME OF COURAGE will be worth it! Head on over to our A Time of Blood thread to discuss the last books, it would be good to see what you think is going to happen / want to happen in the last book of the trilogy :) Truth and courage!

message 7: by William (new)

WittyJackson wrote: "Hello! My name is Jackson, in a Bookseller from East Sussex. I've been lucky enough to get early copies of both A Time Of Dread and A Time Of Blood so I'm all up to date in the world of the Banishe..."

Great to have you in this group Jackson. Feel free to post any opinions of the books on the discussions, we'd love to talk about them. Sadly a while until A Time of Courage is available but I'm sure it will be a finale that lives up to its predecessors :).

message 8: by Jim (last edited Apr 20, 2019 05:22PM) (new)

Jim Robinson (jimbowan) | 6 comments Hi I am Jim, from Adelaide Australia, I have only just recently read F&TF after seeing a rave review from Petrik who I follow. Unbelievable series, when i finished it i needed a moment to just chill and reflect, even mourn the end of that series, i wanted it to go forever.

Fav character? Maquin, Corban, Gar and you have to say Lykos. I hated that guy! I loved that we got POV chapters from guys like him and Jael, Evnis really mixed things up.

Cant wait to read B&B but im waiting for it to complete before i start it so i can binge it. Will it be 3 or 4 books?

message 9: by Maxime (new)

Maxime (mightymax) | 11 comments Hi everyone! I'm Max I work as a manager in an Indigo bookstore in Canada. Like Jim above, I also read F&TF lately (literally finished Wrath 2 days ago) after seeing Petrik recommend it with a passion. I also am still mourning the end of this great saga and would have taken 4 more books of Corban and his gang.

I see this a lot but my favorite Character arc was definitely Maquin. totally took me in unexpected directions. Camelin was a close second. I also love Craf and Brina. Veradis tortured my soul for a long time for obvious reasons, which I loved for some twisted reason.

Again like Jim, I am waiting for the complete trilogy to come out (at least for now as I have a bunch of other books I want to read), but this is one of my two favorite Fantasy sagas I've read in the last 10+ years.

message 10: by Marielle (new)

Marielle (marielle_o) | 2 comments Hi! I'm a mum, wife, friend and business consultant from The Netherlands.
I discovered TFATF via Fantasy Faction and love the series so much!
After finishing ATOD I reread them because I wanted to stay in The Banished Lands.
I preordered ATOB but it hasn't arrived yet... going nuts with anticipation...
Nice to be here everyone!
Truth and courage!!

message 11: by William (new)

Jim wrote: "Hi I am Jim, from Adelaide Australia, I have only just recently read F&TF after seeing a rave review from Petrik who I follow. Unbelievable series, when i finished it i needed a moment to just chil..."

Great to have you in this group with us Jim. Really good to hear that you loved the first series. It does take a while to get over the characters.

Lykos was definitely my favourite villain and I think Maquin is my favourite character as well. Then there are at least a dozen which are close in second place. So many brilliant characters.

Of Blood and Bone currently has two books out and will be a trilogy. The last book is to be called A Time of Courage.

message 12: by William (new)

Maxime wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm Max I work as a manager in an Indigo bookstore in Canada. Like Jim above, I also read F&TF lately (literally finished Wrath 2 days ago) after seeing Petrik recommend it with a pass..."

Hi Maxime, great to have you in The Banished Lands. Look forward to discussing your favourite aspects of each book :).

We love the reviews Petrik writes and it is fantastic he has brought another reader into the Banished Lands.

As I said earlier Maquin is my favourite character as well. OLD WOLF!

Well the second book of the trilogy, A Time of Blood, came out a few days ago, so two thirds done. I would say that they are as good as The Faithful and the Fallen if not better :).

message 13: by William (new)

Marielle wrote: "Hi! I'm a mum, wife, friend and business consultant from The Netherlands.
I discovered TFATF via Fantasy Faction and love the series so much!
After finishing ATOD I reread them because I wanted to ..."

Hello Marielle it's great to have another huge fan of the books in this group. It would be great to hear your thoughts of each book on their discussions :).

I hope A Time of Blood reaches you soon, I think that you will love it as much as A Time of Dread and The Faithful and the Fallen :).

message 14: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 5 comments I’m Kirstin, and I’ve read all of the banished land books apart from a time of blood.

I’m currently re-reading all of them ... almost finished malice ... I felt I needed a thorough refresher before reading a time of blood as it was years since I read the first ones!

It’s good to be back in the banished lands, I absolutely love these books. George R R Martins song of ice and fire books may have started my journey into fantasy genre.... but it is the banished lands that have kept me there ... and I’ve now read a lot of John gwynne’s book recommendations

message 15: by William (last edited Apr 22, 2019 08:33AM) (new)

Kirstin wrote: "I’m Kirstin, and I’ve read all of the banished land books apart from a time of blood.

I’m currently re-reading all of them ... almost finished malice ... I felt I needed a thorough refresher befor..."

Hi Kirstin, it's great that you are such a big fan of The Faithful and the Fallen. I look forward to discussing your favourite aspects of each book.

I hope you enjoy your re-read of each book as much as you did when you first ventured into the Banished Lands :).

message 16: by TS (last edited Apr 22, 2019 07:20PM) (new)

TS Chan (tschan) | 4 comments Hi everyone, I'm TS and one of the co-bloggers of Novel Notions with Petrik (who was mentioned above), Celeste and Haifa.

All of us are fans of the The Faithful and the Fallen. I've read TFATF almost 3yrs ago from Eon Windrunner's recommendation, and loved the entire series, especially the last two books which are on my favorites shelf.

My favourite character in TFATF is Camlin, which caused many, MANY anxious moments for me as he was constantly putting himself in danger. Veradis is also a favourite, as much as I wanted to shake him sometimes.

Also recently read A Time of Dread which I thought was fantastic, and just received the HC for A Time of Blood this week. :)

Eon ♒Windrunner♒   (eonwindrunner) | 24 comments Hi everyone :)

I'm Eon from South Africa, and I LOVE all of John Gwynne's books. First read Malice about 6 years ago and fell in love with the authors writing. Have not been able to get enough of it since then, and I am so happy that I was able to share this wonderful series with my friends. (Obviously, once they read it, they loved it too ;) *high-fives TS)

I am a bit of an outlier regarding favourite characters, as mine are Storm, Craf and Coralen!

I am currently busy doing a reread of both series' while I wait for my gorgeous hardcover of A Time of Blood to arrive. It is great to be in the Banished Lands.

message 18: by William (new)

TS wrote: "Hi everyone, I'm TS and one of the co-bloggers of Novel Notions with Petrik (who was mentioned above), Celeste and Haifa.

All of us are fans of the The Faithful and the Fallen. I've read TFATF al..."

Hi Ts, I have read some of your reviews and thoroughly enjoyed them.

It's great you love TFATF and have enjoyed A Time of Dread. I hope you enjoy the next instalment in the series as all the previous books in the Banished Lands.

Camlin is also a favourite of mine, look forward to discussing why he's your favourite characters in the other discussions :).

message 19: by William (new)

Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Hi everyone :)

I'm Eon from South Africa, and I LOVE all of John Gwynne's books. First read Malice about 6 years ago and fell in love with the authors writing. Have not been able to get enough of ..."

Great to hear you have been a long lasting fan of John Gwynne. and have consistently loved each of his books in the Banished Lands to share them with friends.

They are some great characters, Storm with her loyalty, Craf with his humour and Coralen with her fiery nature.

I hope you enjoy A Time of Blood as much as you adored the other novels :).

Eon ♒Windrunner♒   (eonwindrunner) | 24 comments Will.J.R. wrote: "Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Hi everyone :)

I'm Eon from South Africa, and I LOVE all of John Gwynne's books. First read Malice about 6 years ago and fell in love with the authors writing. Have not be..."

Thank you Will. I am sure it won't disappoint :)

message 21: by William (new)

Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Will.J.R. wrote: "Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Hi everyone :)

I'm Eon from South Africa, and I LOVE all of John Gwynne's books. First read Malice about 6 years ago and fell in love with the authors wr..."

I have read it Eon and would say that it is even better than A Time of Blood, continuing with the fantastic elements of the first in the series.

Eon ♒Windrunner♒   (eonwindrunner) | 24 comments Will.J.R. wrote: "Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Will.J.R. wrote: "Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Hi everyone :)

I'm Eon from South Africa, and I LOVE all of John Gwynne's books. First read Malice about 6 years ago and fell in..."

That is great news, thank you Will. My anticipation is SKY HIGH!

message 23: by Jack (new)

Jack Cunningham | 1 comments Hi!! I'm Jack from Ireland. Although I'm a scientist through occupation, fantasy and sci Fi are my passion. After being stuck in hospital for a few months Tolkiens works were a constant companion. This started my love of fantasy and I can honestly say The Faithful and the Fallen' series is my favorite fantasy series of all time. Glad to be apart of the clan. I look forward to reading all your opinions !

message 24: by William (new)

Jack wrote: "Hi!! I'm Jack from Ireland. Although I'm a scientist through occupation, fantasy and sci Fi are my passion. After being stuck in hospital for a few months Tolkiens works were a constant companion. ..."

Great to have another lover of The Faithful and the Fallen Jack, I look forward to discussing your favourite moments on the other discussions.

I saw you are currently reading A Time of Dread, I hope you enjoy it as much as the first series :).

Welcome to the warband, Truth and Courage!

message 25: by TS (last edited Apr 23, 2019 07:14PM) (new)

TS Chan (tschan) | 4 comments Will.J.R. wrote: "TS wrote: "Hi everyone, I'm TS and one of the co-bloggers of Novel Notions with Petrik (who was mentioned above), Celeste and Haifa.

All of us are fans of the The Faithful and the Fallen. I've re..."

Thank you, Will!

I'm looking forward to A Time of Blood but also dreading the cliffhanger ending (from the reaction I got from Celeste, it's quite a big one).

message 26: by William (new)

TS wrote: "Will.J.R. wrote: "TS wrote: "Hi everyone, I'm TS and one of the co-bloggers of Novel Notions with Petrik (who was mentioned above), Celeste and Haifa.

All of us are fans of the The Faithful and t..."

It certainly could be called a big cliffhanger. Cannot wait for the events to play out in the final instalment, a wait full of suspense...

message 27: by Edward (new)

Edward | 59 comments Mod
Fantastic to have everyone. We have enough members to strike fear into the heart of any acolyte this side of Dun Seren!

One thing I've always found with dad's books is that it feels like the end of EVERY SINGLE chapter is a cliffhanger. I blame him for my blurry-eyed-ness university mornings induced by reading into the early hours :).

Eon ♒Windrunner♒   (eonwindrunner) | 24 comments Edward wrote: "Fantastic to have everyone. We have enough members to strike fear into the heart of any acolyte this side of Dun Seren!

One thing I've always found with dad's books is that it feels like the end o..."

Just finished up rereading ATOD and thought they were even more cliffhangery than ever before as it came to the end. Reminds me of Sanderson who has always been way ahead of all other authors. Your dad is catching up though!

message 29: by Edward (new)

Edward | 59 comments Mod
Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Edward wrote: "Fantastic to have everyone. We have enough members to strike fear into the heart of any acolyte this side of Dun Seren!

One thing I've always found with dad's books is that it feels..."

Have yet to read Sanderson, though my brother is reading his first Sanderson novel. He's loving it. Another to add to the TBR mountain!

message 30: by David S (new)

David S Meanderings) (davidsbookmeanderings) | 21 comments It's so cool to see how spread out we are around the world but brought together by this fantastic series!

I'm David and I'm from the USA and the state of Pennsylvania. I just recently finished The Faithful and the Fallen for the first time and loved every minute of it. I especially, like TS Chan, loved Ruin and Wrath. I will be catching up on the Banished Lands by reading the 2 books in "Of Blood and Bone" sometime this year.

message 31: by David S (new)

David S Meanderings) (davidsbookmeanderings) | 21 comments Truth and Courage!!!

message 32: by William (new)

Great to have you as part of the war band David. Look forward to future talks about the books and I'm sure you will love Of Blood and Bone as well.

Truth and Courage!

message 33: by Michael (new)

Michael | 66 comments I'm Michael, and I've read all of the Faithfull and the Fallen books and both the Of Blood and Bone books. Loved them all. I have also read the short stories in Journeys and Art of War. The only one I haven't read is 'Better to Live than to Die' as I don't engage well with audiobooks. A great series that has given me a new author to love after the passing of my all-time favourite David Gemmell.

Truth and Courage!

message 34: by William (new)

Michael wrote: "I'm Michael, and I've read all of the Faithfull and the Fallen books and both the Of Blood and Bone books. Loved them all. I have also read the short stories in Journeys and Art of War. The only on..."

Great that you have loved all of John Gwynne's works and have even read most of his short stories. Just the wait until A Time of Courage for Of Blood and Bone to end.

Gemmell is a wonderful author who many say has a similar style regarding elements such as the themes of hope, so I can see the link between the two and also love both authors!

I look forward to continue discussing your favourite aspects of any of the books that you wish to talk about.

Truth and Courage Michael!

message 35: by Nick (new)

Nick (nicarlos) | 2 comments Hello fellow Banished Land-ers. I'm Nick from the UK and I work with financial and performance data in Public Health.

I've only been reading regularly for a few years and recently delved into the Banished Lands and what a journey that was! I think I loved just about every character in the Faithful and the Fallen series, for different reasons of course. I'm now reading A Time of Dread.

Other authors I love reading are Brandon Sanderson, Bernard Cornwell (I've recently learned he's one of John Gwynne's favourite authors so you cannot go wrong there) and George RR Martin.

My last name is Raven so I like to think I have some sort of connection with Craf. Nick clever.

....I'll see myself out!

message 36: by Edward (new)

Edward | 59 comments Mod
Nick wrote: "Hello fellow Banished Land-ers. I'm Nick from the UK and I work with financial and performance data in Public Health.

I've only been reading regularly for a few years and recently delved into the..."

Great to have you in the war band, Nick.

So glad you loved The Faithful and the Fallen! Did you have a favourite character? Really hope you enjoy Of Blood and Bone.

We all worship Bernard Cornwell in this house, he's fantastic.

Raven is excellent, slightly envious!

Be sure to leave any reviews of the books if you have anything to say, and there are some quizzes on this group for you to do if you fancy testing your knowledge of The Banished Lands.

Ed

message 37: by Joe (new)

Joe Lindley | 31 comments Hi, I'm Joe from Wakefield. Read Malice last May after the book had been on my TBR pile for about a year & now I wonder why it took me so long. Finished A Time of Blood about a month ago & now I've got that long wait for A Time of Courage. It quickly became one of my favourite series. Love the animals in this as much as the human (and giant) characters... Especially Storm

message 38: by Nick (new)

Nick (nicarlos) | 2 comments Edward wrote: "Nick wrote: "Hello fellow Banished Land-ers. I'm Nick from the UK and I work with financial and performance data in Public Health.

I've only been reading regularly for a few years and recently de..."

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Most definitely but I cannot name just one. Maquin, Corban, Veradis, Alcyon, Halion, Nathair. I'll stop there before I list everyone.

I'm not surprised. He writes the best battle scenes! And reading of those shield walls in F&TF brought back memories of Uhtred.

message 39: by Michael (new)

Michael | 66 comments Joe wrote: "Hi, I'm Joe from Wakefield. Read Malice last May after the book had been on my TBR pile for about a year & now I wonder why it took me so long. Finished A Time of Blood about a month ago & now I've..."

Hi, Joe, welcome aboard! I too have read everything up to and including A Time of Blood and eagerly await A Time of Courage.

Yes, Storm and Craf are great, but I have to say that my favourites are probably the giants and bears. Corban is obviously a great character too, being the lead-role.

Michael

message 40: by Michael (new)

Michael | 66 comments Nick wrote: "Hello fellow Banished Land-ers. I'm Nick from the UK and I work with financial and performance data in Public Health.

I've only been reading regularly for a few years and recently delved into the..."

Hi Nick, welcome to the group!

message 41: by Joe (new)

Joe Lindley | 31 comments Michael wrote: "Joe wrote: "Hi, I'm Joe from Wakefield. Read Malice last May after the book had been on my TBR pile for about a year & now I wonder why it took me so long. Finished A Time of Blood about a month ag..."

Hammer is shaping up to fill the void left by Storm. The giants are another favourite part of the Banished Lands, especially Alcyon & Balur One-Eye. More fleshed out & less two-dimensional than the GoT giants

message 42: by William (new)

Nick wrote: "Hello fellow Banished Land-ers. I'm Nick from the UK and I work with financial and performance data in Public Health.

Great to have you in the group Nick. I look forward to having discussions :). Hope you enjoy A Time of Dread as much as The Faithful and the Fallen.

I love Bernard Cornwell! Some great authors there :).

Craf friend. Craf happy you are part of group.

message 43: by William (new)

Joe wrote: "Hi, I'm Joe from Wakefield. Read Malice last May after the book had been on my TBR pile for about a year & now I wonder why it took me so long. Finished A Time of Blood about a month ago & now I've..."

Glad to have you in this group Joe, I am looking forward to discussing different aspects of the story with you.

At least the wait for A Time of Courage is not extremely long, next April. If you feel the need to test your knowledge of the Banished until then, check the quizzes that have been created :).

The animals have always been some of my favourite characters. Storm, Buddai, Shield, Hammer, Craf, the list goes on.

TRUTH AND COURAGE

message 44: by David S (last edited Jul 20, 2019 02:29PM) (new)

David S Meanderings) (davidsbookmeanderings) | 21 comments I thought all of you would really appreciate this
depiction of Corban, Storm, and Craf. https://images.app.goo.gl/Hv5A2j9RfWF...

Edit: Upon further inspection it looks like it was a ripoff of a Game of Thrones picture. But still looks awesome.

message 45: by William (new)

David's wrote: "I thought all of you would really appreciate this
depiction of Corban, Storm, and Craf. https://images.app.goo.gl/Hv5A2j9RfWF...

Edit: Upon further inspection it looks like it was a ripoff of ..."

Can still be ascribed to Corban, Storm and Craf. Looks great!

message 46: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (goodreadscomrumbelle517) | 2 comments Hi, I'm Jackie. Thanks for the invite. So, far I have only read Malice, but I'll have to wait until November before I go on to next books. Can't wait!

message 47: by William (new)

Jackie wrote: "Hi, I'm Jackie. Thanks for the invite. So, far I have only read Malice, but I'll have to wait until November before I go on to next books. Can't wait!"

Great to have you in the war band Jackie. Looking forward to future discussions :).

message 48: by Louisa with an A (new)

Louisa with an A (louisawithana) | 2 comments Hi all, I'm Louisa and I'm from Australia thanks for the invite. I recently finished Ruin and am looking forward to starting Wrath soon but find myself not the mood for fantasy but as soon as I am I'm going to devour Wrath and the Of Blood and Bone series

message 49: by William (new)

Louisa with an A wrote: "Hi all, I'm Louisa and I'm from Australia thanks for the invite. I recently finished Ruin and am looking forward to starting Wrath soon but find myself not the mood for fantasy but as soon as I am ..."

Great to have you as part of war band Louisa. Glad that you have read the first three of the first series. Hope you enjoy the rest when you get around to them :).

message 50: by Louisa with an A (new)

Louisa with an A (louisawithana) | 2 comments Will.J.R. wrote: "Louisa with an A wrote: "Hi all, I'm Louisa and I'm from Australia thanks for the invite. I recently finished Ruin and am looking forward to starting Wrath soon but find myself not the mood for fan..."

I'm certain I will, it's truly excellent writing. I shared the books with my Dad too who is hooked just as much as I am

« previous 1 3 4

The Banished Lands and The Bloodsworn

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Time of Blood (other topics)