Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Charlaine Harris

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments So I was looking for the thread for Charlaine Harris to post a link for a discussion of Dead and Gone that I want to move to the archives folder. And I realized that we don't have a discussion of her started in the group yet! I was a bit shocked! I mean, we discuss her books often enough in other posts, especially the True Blood one, so I thought that I should start this.

First off, here's the link for that discussion. Caution, it probably contains spoilers.

Dead and Gone - Spoliers

Harris was the author that really got me hooked on PNR and UF. Before that, the only fantasy I'd ever read were Harry Potter and Twilight. I love her Sookie Stackhouse series, and think that she's probably created one of the most talked about love triangles with Sookie, Eric and Bill.

I've also read her Harper Connelly series. I really enjoy them, but they seem to be more of an aquired taste. Some people love them, others can't get through them. Personally, I'm excited for the 4th one to come out later this fall.

I've also started reading her Lily Bard series. They aren't paranormal at all, just a good mystery. Pretty quick reads. So far I've liked them, but not as much as her other 2 series.

As for her other books, haven't check them out yet.

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Kelley Anne wrote: "So I was looking for the thread for Charlaine Harris to post a link for a discussion of Dead and Gone that I want to move to the archives folder. And I realized that we don't have a..."

The Sookie series is one of my very favorite series ever, regardless of genre. I've read 2 of the Harper Connelly books. I really didn't like the 1st one and someone gave me the other one I read and it was a little better, but I won't go out of my way to read anymore. Have read 2 of the Lily Bard books and they were okay. I don't care for the Aurora Teagarden books at all.

message 3: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Oh gosh, I've read all the series....

Sookie Stackhouse series - this is where my adventure with UF started, this is the series that got me reading again after a longish break (and by that I mean years of reading very little), this is the series that I compare all other vampire stories to.

Harper Connelly - I like it. 3rd book really got to me and now I cannot wait for the newest release.

Lily Bard series - again, I cannot complain. A solid series. The heroine's strong, physical and takes no shit from anybody. It's not UF, but plain mysteries, but works for me.

Aurora Teagarden - I did not care much for those books, yet I've read them all. Weird huh? I think my sentiment for Charlaine weighted hugely on why I kept reading. You can see Charlaine's progress as a writer while reading those. With every book she gets more and more skilled in her craft. And you can see how she later transformed her ability to write these gullible, light and fluffy mysteries into a vampire drama. But I wouldn't insist you need to read it, no. It's a little like junk food, if you like it - read it, but don't count on getting your full nutrition. Was that harsh? I didn't mean to be harsh.

message 4: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments That's the way that I was with the Harper Connelly series. I enjoyed the first 2, thought that it was a really original and intriguing idea. Then the 3rd book really grabbed me! Loved it! Can't wait for the next book. Originally I had heard that she was only going to write the 4 in the series, but then I heard that the buzz for the series was starting to pick up so she might do more. I hope so!

message 5: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) | 292 comments I have heard good things about all her series. So far I have only read sookie of course cuz it's paranormal ;) But I am getting the Harper Connelly series from a friend of mine and am looking forward to them. Another friend ended up starting with #3 of that series and she's says it's awesome. Guess you don't have to read them in order ;)

message 6: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I would recommend that you read them in order. I mean, if you haven't read the first two, you will be able to follow what's going on. But...because of some developments that happen in #3, it might be weird to read it first and then the other 2, but that's just my opinion. #3 is my fav of them though.

message 7: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments #3 was just much more fast-paced and terror-filled. The other two were not slow exactly, but definitely didn't give me the same sense of urgency and horror as the third Harper Connolly. But, I was sorta weirded out by, well, ya'll who have read it will know what I mean. I expected it and there's nothing WRONG with it, yet it just struck me as odd.

I love Manfred. I hope he's in more of them.

The Teagarden books are quick little cozies. Nice mysteries to read when you just want to be entertained. There's a bit of intrigue, a smidge of suspense, and a smattering of romance. Nothing deep.

Love Sookie Stackhouse. I can talk about that series for hours. It really is the culmination of everything, where her wit shines through and her characters feel real.

Haven't read Lily Bard yet, but it's on the list!

message 8: by Kelley Anne (last edited Aug 25, 2009 01:08AM) (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments lol, yeah I do know what you are talking about that freaked you out. Someone had told me that was going to happen before I ever read any of them, so I was prepared and was noticing the signs all the way through!

message 9: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments But weird, right?!

I still can't decide how I feel about it. We'll see how it goes in the fourth book, I suppose.

message 10: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 77 comments I love the Harper Connelly series, but I believe that Charlaine Harris is planning on phasing it out.

message 11: by Kasia (new)

Kasia I've just noticed, first chapter of Grave Secret is posted online (for free) on Charlaine's website, if you're interested and cannot wait for the book.... She does that, she posted such a preview of Dead and Gone too (before it was officially out).

I thought you might like to know.

message 12: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I've read her Harper Connelly series and her Sookie series.

I like both of them but I really enjoyed her Sookie series. The only problem I have with the Harper series is her weird relationship with her "brother". It just kinda freaks me out a little. But other than that minor issue lol, I like it.

I haven't gotten around to her mystery series yet. I've heard both good and bad, but it's on my list to read.

Oh.. I also heard that her Harper series was ending with the fourth book. I read it on Harris' website. But you never know, she might change her mind. I think she said something along the lines of (don't quote me lol), she wanted to go out while the series was still good and there was only so much more she could write before the stories became repetitive. So we'll see.

message 13: by Starling (new)

Starling | 176 comments I don't know if this is a spoiler or not...

Jess, he is NOT her brother. They have no parents in common and met when they were old enough that even the step-brother situation doesn't really count. And I think they have always been in love with each other.

I haven't really paid attention to these books, but that much I did get out of them.

message 14: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Possible Spoilers

Starling.. I realize they're not related.. but they grew up referring to one another as brother and sister. Even in the first book they were calling eachother that. So it's still weird to me.

message 15: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Jess wrote: "Possible Spoilers

Starling.. I realize they're not related.. but they grew up referring to one another as brother and sister. Even in the first book they were calling eachother that. So it's sti..."

I agree, Jess. I know they're not related, but it's still weird to me. Maybe that's one of the reasons I don't care for the books. Plus Harper is just really unlikeable to me.

message 16: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments She's very...dour.

message 17: by Starling (new)

Starling | 176 comments Michelle, ALL of Charlaine Harris' heroines start out damaged in some way, and all of them grow through the books. Sookie is emotionally stunted at the beginning. One of her heroines was raped and beaten badly (can't remember her name). Aurora Teagarden is a tiny, rather strange looking person, and impossibly shy.

Harper just hasn't come into her own yet as of the last book I read (#2 or #3). I fully expect her to grow on me.

message 18: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments Lily Bard.

Too true, Starling. I think it's more that I expected Grave to have some of that sneaky humor Aurora and Sookie both have. I wasn't prepared for it to have a more serious, thriller type feel to it. I definitely like them enough that I'm looking forward to the next one. It's just a change-up from the other two series I've read by Charlaine.

That said, I've also read one of her stand-alones, Sweet and Deadly, and went into it knowing what tone to expect. Although I thought the main character could have been a little more fleshed out, I enjoyed it, and she kept me guessing well into the book.

message 19: by Starling (new)

Starling | 176 comments I've read one or two of her stand alone books too, and loved them. I've decided however, that if I'm going to read any more Charlaine Harris books I need to buy them so I have them all. My library doesn't always buy all of the books in a series and are so touch and go that if it is a series you really want to read you have to buy the books yourself.

message 20: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments I've bought them all too. My library seems to be good for all but the first book in any given series! It's so peculiar.

message 21: by Starling (new)

Starling | 176 comments What gets me is when they buy books 2, 3 and 5 and no one notices that they never got book 1 and 4. Just weird.

message 22: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I agree! I hate when libraries do that. And then I'm going to one library and get books 1 to 4 and then all of a sudden they don't have anything until 6. wth.

message 23: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 77 comments It's funny that you guys seem to be missing book #1 at your libraries. Every one I've gone to seem to be missing random books in the middle of series.

message 24: by Anna (new)

Anna (aknas22) | 349 comments I've just been going through the Southern Vampire series lately...not reading every bit of them but scanning through them and reading my favorite parts closely. Right now I'm on All Together Dead and I'm wandering if Charlaine Harris will bring in the Britlingens in future books.

message 25: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments They're in the short story in Must Love Hellhounds, I believe...

message 26: by Anna (new)

Anna (aknas22) | 349 comments Ooo, thanks, I haven't read that one yet.

message 27: by Starling (new)

Starling | 176 comments I've been thinking about my library and the series that are filled with holes and I think I've got the answer.

What is driving the book buying is someone asking for the book when it is relatively new. If someone doesn't ask for book 4 in a 5 book series, they don't buy it.

Until quite recently I just read what they had, but began to order those new books I wanted about 4 or 5 months ago. But I felt guilty about doing that because my taste in books isn't all that popular. Now I realize that there are other people like me who won't ask, and they haven't bought a new book in a couple of months because of budget issues. They don't know what their budget is going to be.

message 28: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments On a different group, someone posted a synopsis of the next Sookie book. I thought that I'd post is on here for those that are interested! Warning, spoilers for the first 9 books!

*"Full Description"
Sookie Stackhouse has finally settled into a relationship with the Viking vampire Eric, and her errant brother Jason seems to have his life in order, too. But all the other people in Sookie's life - Eric himself, her former lover Bill, her friend and boss Sam - are having family problems. Eric's maker shows up with Eric's 'brother' in tow, the ailing Bill can only be healed by a blood sibling, and Sam's brother's marriage is about to take place ...or will it? The furor raised by the coming out of the two-natured has yet to settle; some people are just not ready to sit down to dinner with a man who turns into a dog. And Sookie herself is still recovering from her last ordeal. She's definitely improving, physically and mentally, but she's always going to have some dark moments now. The werewolves tell her that there have been strange and ominous passers-by in the Stackhouse woods; now Sookie is about to come face-to-face with one of her more distant relatives ... *

message 29: by Anna (new)

Anna (aknas22) | 349 comments OOOhh thanks!! Should be lots of Eric...I'm so exited.

message 30: by Anna (new)

Anna (aknas22) | 349 comments Hmmm, I just checked Charlaine Harris' website and I can't find the blurb for the new book. Do you know what its called and when its going to be released?

message 31: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments no clue! Actually, I would assume that the new one will be out Spring of next year. She usually releases them at about the same time each year. I got the info off of a discussion board on the Sookie Stackhouse group. So, I'm not sure how completely reliable it is.

message 32: by Anna (last edited Sep 13, 2009 12:36AM) (new)

Anna (aknas22) | 349 comments Ok I found it on Wikipedia, the new book will be out in May 2010 and its called Dead in the Family. The entry also says that "During the True Blood panel at Comic Con 2009, Charlaine Harris revealed that she has signed a contract for three additional books."

message 33: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Nice another three books!! How exciting.

message 34: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Anna wrote: "Ok I found it on Wikipedia, the new book will be out in May 2010 and its called Dead in the Family. The entry also says that "During the True Blood panel at Comic Con 2009, Charlaine Harris reveale..."

Charlaine is going to be at Bouchercon next month. I had planned on going, but things have conspired against me. But I do have several friends attending and I've told them they have to attend any panels she's on to see what she has to say about the books and about True Blood.

message 35: by Anna (new)

Anna (aknas22) | 349 comments And then you can let us know all the news :)

message 36: by Kaz. (new)

Kaz. Thanks for that info Kelley Anne, it sounds like it will be a great book.

I wonder if it will be "Dead in the Family" plus 2 more books or 3 after that one?

message 37: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 93 comments I just read the first chapter of Grave Secret on Charlaine's site. I can't wait until the book is finally out.

message 38: by Anna (last edited Sep 15, 2009 01:01AM) (new)

Anna (aknas22) | 349 comments Karen wrote:
I wonder if it will be "Dead in the Family" plus 2 more books or 3 after that one?"

The Wikipedia article wasn't clear, I couldn't find the info on Charlaine's website.

message 39: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments I think I heard mention of 13 books. So that would make 4 yet to come.

message 40: by Kaz. (new)

Kaz. Thanks Anna & Michelle, I hope Charlaine updates her web site soon because us fans need these little tidbits to survive, lol.

message 41: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments For those of you who are Harper Connelly fans, the first chapter of the new book is on Harris's website.

http://www.charlaineharris.com/graves...

message 43: by Wild for Wilde (new)

Wild for Wilde (wildforwilde) <3 Charlaine Harris, the Trueblood books and show are awesome! Love the sex scenes lol

message 44: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments One of our members posted this in the True Blood thread. It is the link to the first chapter of Dead in the Family, the newest Sookie book. Enjoy and thanks to Stephanie :)

http://www.charlaineharris.com/DITFCh...

message 45: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (akamonkee) | 46 comments Yeaa this is what I was looking for lol, thanks Jess :)

message 46: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Thanks!

message 47: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) | 106 comments I am really looking forward to Dead in the Family!

message 48: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I really need to do a re-read of the last few books before the next one comes out. I've read too many things since and don't remember a lot of it!

message 49: by Jamie (new)

Jamie I have recently started the Sookie books and am enjoying them very much. I started the Harper series before I did the Sookie books and I was totally drawn into the mystery, sleuth books. I had seen her Sookie books around but never thought to read them, I thought they were going to be along the lines of Twilight but I'm glad I didn't stay away!

message 50: by Wild for Wilde (new)

Wild for Wilde (wildforwilde) Jamie wrote: "I have recently started the Sookie books and am enjoying them very much. I started the Harper series before I did the Sookie books and I was totally drawn into the mystery, sleuth books. I had se..."

Aren't they addicting?? They have inspired me to write my own romance/paranormal mysteries!

« previous 1