Goodreads Ireland discussion

Monthly Group Read Nominations > May 2019 Nominations for Monthly Read

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bookworm with Kids | 566 comments Mod
It's time to start the nominations for the May Read! There is no theme this month - feel free to nominate any book you think we should read!Please ensure the book is currently in commercial print and available widely to ensure all members can participate.

Please remember:
1. People may only nominate one book.
2. All nominations must be seconded.
3. You can nominate a book or second a book not both.
4. If the book you nominate wins, you must lead the discussion.
5. Authors may not self nominate.

The nominations will remain open until midnight GMT on Saturday 27th of April 2019 .
That is:
4pm Saturday 27th April in L.A.
7pm Saturday 27th April Eastern Time (USA)
11 am Sunday 28th April in Sydney.

Happy Nominating!

message 2: by David (new)

David O'byrne (davidobyrne) To die for. Jack reacher series. Bit of excitement for the spring.

message 3: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) The Happy Prince and Other Stories - Oscar Wilde
This is a book of fairy tales for people from 18-80 and can be obtained for free on Project Gutenberg.

We have had no more nominations and no seconders for our two nominations!
I will leave this thread open for another couple of days to see if we have any seconders!!

message 5: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments Ok I will nominate Normal People again lol

Any seconder? ?
Anybody???

message 7: by Donna (new)

Donna McCaul Thibodeau (celtic_donna) | 1141 comments I will second Colleen's nomination!

Thanks, Colleen and Donna!

Thanks to David and Jazzy Lemon too!

As we have only one book nominated and seconded, our May monthly read will be Normal People by Sally Rooney. Our discussion will be led by Colleen.
The nominations are now closed. Thanks to everyone.

message 11: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) That one is too new and i can't get a copy so maybe I can join another time! Have a good one x

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments I am like 139 on the list so doubt I'll get it in May but I will read it.

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Susan wrote: "I am like 139 on the list so doubt I'll get it in May but I will read it."

This book was released in Ireland and the UK last Sept. 2018 in both paperback and HC. I had both the paperback and HC but just gave my paperback away to a friend and got Rooney to sign the hardcover when she was here in DC last month (and a friend at the signing promptly borrowed it from me). It's just over $13 on Amazon US in hardcover and kindle for $12.99. Actually you can get the paperback on Amazon US for $11.64 but it's coming from the UK - it says Book Depository US but delivery is May 20-29. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/057...
The reason why I am chiming in is that back in the day there was an agreement to select books available in US as well as Ireland and UK and this book does meet that criteria. The US is very often up to a year late in getting Irish and UK books. That's why I rely on Kennys and The Book Depository (as well as shopping for books when I'm on the other side of the pond).

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Thanks for the info.