Archive: Other Books > Incontinent on the Continent

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by anarresa (new)

anarresa | 247 comments Incontinent on the Continent
My Mother, Her Walker and our Grand Tour of Italy
By Jane Christmas
4 stars

This was a fun little memoir with a nice balance of humor, mother-daughter relationships, a love of Italy and the unpredictability of travel. I always take memoirs with a grain of salt and that is particularly obvious here because there are gaps and inconsistent timelines over the short vacation the book covers. Also, what insane person decides to take their estranged, elderly, infirm mother to Italy for 5 weeks? Aside from the poor editing or note-taking Jane did a nice job describing the countryside and its history, her current and past relationship with her mother, the adventures of their trip, her frustrations with her mother and herself. The book reads fast and easy, but because of the mix of mother-daughter problems, non-traditional vacationing and the author’s temperament the book probably isn’t for everyone.

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5352 comments I love to read these travelogues and truthfully they aren't generally brilliant writing.

I'm going to keep this on my radar for when it goes down in price.

message 3: by Hebah (new)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments This is a delightful book title. Not sure it's for me, but I did get a chuckle out of it.