Old Books, New Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > May 2019 Book Nominations

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by La Tonya (last edited Apr 20, 2019 06:38AM) (new)

La Tonya  Jordan | 588 comments Mod
This is Susan's post. One of our new moderators . Let's give her a round of applause. 👏👏👏👏

The theme for May 2019 is: Changes. I have always loved reading about spies. Please send me your thoughts about classic books about things changing. It could be about anything to do with changes from a person to vampire/werewolf/fairy, could be changing in love, homes, life, etc.HINT HINT Let the voting begin : Here is a list of the previous books we have read in this group to make sure your nomination has not been a previous Book Of The Month:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Rules
1. One book per person
2. Poll will be set up when we reach 6 valid nominations
3. Book should follow the theme
4. Try to explain why you are choosing the book (optional)

Also keep in mind, for the purposes of this group, we consider a classic book to be at least 50 years old with literary acclaim. This is my first post about books and voting as a new mod. I'm still learning so please be patient.

message 2: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 114 comments The Metamorphosis by Frank Kafka. Read it years (and years) ago. Curious what I’ll think of it as an adult.

message 3: by JazzyJake (new)

JazzyJake | 24 comments Childhood’s End by Arthur C. Clarke
externally forced change changes mankind’s ways. For the better?

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Angstadt | 2 comments I'd like to propose The Rover by Aphra Behn. It is a play from the 18th century that includes switching of genders, roles, and places.

message 5: by La Tonya (new)

Bookninja said to you:
Gone with the Wind by Margaret Michelle. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

message 6: by Candace (last edited Apr 19, 2019 09:34PM) (new)

message 7: by Aurialis (new)

Aurialis  (aurialis) | 4 comments I suggest Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.

message 8: by Ámbar (new)

Ámbar (mbarvioleta) Hi! I want to propose Orlando, by Virginia Woolf. I think it´d be a great book for the theme! Orlando by Virginia Woolf

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula I nominate Peter Pan for our May read. While it may not seem so, from the various versions of the story we've seen produced in visual media, the children in the story do indeed undergo change. Peter is even changed somewhat because of his relationship with the Darling children.

Thank you for taking on the task of moderator, Susan. And to LaTonya for always hanging in there.

message 10: by phlep (new)

phlep | 1 comments I nominate Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes for the May reading. It follows a man living with developmental delays go through the changes of a rising IQ.

(I have never recommended a book to a group, so forgive me if I have broken an unspoken rule!)

message 11: by tabascosauce (new)

tabascosauce (twicebakedsmallpotatoes) | 60 comments Mod
I'm changing my vote, Flowers for Algernon is an amazing book to read for change! (my first vote was for Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.)

message 12: by La Tonya (new)

twice_baked✌️ wrote: "I'm changing my vote, Flowers for Algernon is an amazing book to read for change! (my first vote was for Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.)"

Twice, we will send out a poll where you will actually be able to vote. Enjoy Reading, La Tonya 📚

message 13: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Bianchi | 5 comments I'm joining in the votes for Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. I last read it 52 years ago.

message 14: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 114 comments Aurialis wrote: "I suggest Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier."

I love this novel! Would love to read it again.

message 15: by Aurialis (new)

Aurialis  (aurialis) | 4 comments Sylvia wrote: "Aurialis wrote: "I suggest Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier."

I love this novel! Would love to read it again."

It was one of the first suspense novel that i read.... I would love to reread it too :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.