Play Book Tag discussion

The Devil's Highway: A True Story
This topic is about The Devil's Highway
April 2019: History > The Devils Highway by Luis Alberto Urrea 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne ✨ (last edited Apr 19, 2019 08:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) This is my first book by Urrea, and all I can say is WOW! I can see how this was nominated for a Pullitzer prize.! This book was outstanding on so many levels.

The story is about a group of 26 Mexicans who were led by smugglers over the border into Arizona in 2001, into a remote and challenging desert terrain during a heatwave, with very little water and no survival equipment. 14 people died.

Urrea is masterful in his writing and his audio narration of this book. I was completely riveted. I couldn't believe how beautiful and poignant and raw the writing was. Urrea strikes a fair balance between all the different perspectives, and you really grasp how truly difficult the situation is on all sides!

Reading this is an important reminder that border struggles have been going on for a very long time, and not just suddenly an issue during Trump's presidency.The edition I listened to was re-published in 2011 with a new final chapter talking about the border issues continuing from 2001 -> 2011 , and it felt so current to things happening now.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8168 comments Nice Review Anne!

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5538 comments I love Urrea's writing. He's coming to my local indie bookseller in a couple of weeks and I'm eager to go see his presentation.

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) @ Amy - thanks! This book really leaves its mark on the reader.

@ Book Concierge - oooh lucky! that would be amazing to see him in person!

message 5: by Joanne (new) - added it

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7117 comments I am adding this one-*sigh* trimming is just "delete one, add one" for me-lol

message 6: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5326 comments Thanks for the review. This really sounds like something I would read and be moved by.