Cozy Mysteries discussion

Maddie Day
This topic is about Maddie Day
Featured Cozy Authors > Featured Author - June 2019 - Maddie Day/Edith Maxwell

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (last edited Jun 07, 2019 05:30AM) (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 19729 comments Mod
Our featured author for June 2019 is Maddie Day, who also writes as Edith Maxwell and Tace baker.

From her author page:

Edith Maxwell is an Agatha-nominated and national bestselling mystery author who writes the Local Foods Mysteries. Edith once owned and operated the smallest certified-organic farm in Essex County, Massachusetts.

Maxwell also writes the historical Quaker Midwife Mysteries. Delivering the Truth, featuring a Quaker midwife sleuth in 1888, was released in 2016 and was nominated for an Agatha Award for Best Historical Mystery. Her story, "The Mayor and the Midwife," is the second Rose Carroll story nominated for an Agatha Award for Best Short Story.

As Maddie Day, Edith writes the Country Store Mysteries set in southern Indiana, and the new Cozy Capers Book Group series.

Her short stories have appeared in more than a dozen juried anthologies and magazines. She is active in Mystery Writers of America and Sisters in Crime and is President of SINC New England.

Edith, a fourth-generation Californian, has two grown sons and lives in an antique house north of Boston with her beau, their three cats, a small organic garden, and some impressive garden statuary. She worked as a software technical writer for almost two decades but now writes fiction full time.

Find her online:
Twitter: maddiedayauthor

AS MADDIE DAY:

Country Store Mysteries Series (6 books)

1. Flipped for Murder
2. Grilled For Murder
3. When the Grits Hit the Fan
4. Biscuits and Slashed Browns
5. Death Over Easy
6. Strangled Eggs and Ham (June 25, 2019)

Cozy Capers Book Group
1. Murder on Cape Cod (Dec 2018)

AS EDITH MAXWELL:

A Local Foods Mystery Series (6 books)
Cozy featuring farmer Cam Flaherty.

A Tine to Live, A Tine to Die
'Til Dirt Do Us Part
Farmed and Dangerous
Murder Most Fowl
Mulch Ado About Murder

Quaker Midwife Mystery Series (3 books)

Delivering the Truth
Turning the Tide
Called to Justice
Charity's Burden

AS TACE BAKER

Bluffing is Murder
Speaking of Murder

message 2: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Started Flipped for Murder on the bus this morning, only a couple chapters in.

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Almost current on the Country Store series. One of my new favorites!

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark Baker (carstairs38) | 581 comments I enjoy Edith's books no matter what name she writes under. I have the newest Country Store Mystery on my plate for this month. And I absolutely loved the first in the Cozy Capers Book Group series.

One addition to that both. The fourth Quaker Midwife book came out earlier this year. It's Charity's Burden.

message 5: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Thanks, Mark — for some reason that one did not appear on the book list used for this discussion.

I finished Flipped for Murder the other day and thought it a solid first in series, even if I did figure out whodunnit before I was halfway through. I’ve been hoping the ebooks would go on sale, as I’ve not had any luck finding the paperbacks locally.

message 6: by Meg (new)

Meg (makeli2) | 1902 comments I've just finished the 4th in the series and enjoyed it.

message 7: by MadameZelda (new)

MadameZelda I'm waiting for book 6!

message 8: by Alice (new)

Alice | 2119 comments I am reading Grilled for Murder (Country Store Mysteries #2) by Maddie Day Second book in the series. I liked the first book although read it several years ago. I like the way Robbie, our main character, is written. Not ditzy runs a good business. I would love to try her pancakes.

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7491 comments Starting A Tine to Live, A Tine to Die tonight. I haven't read anything by this author before and decided on this one because it gives me an "E" for my seasonal challenge.

message 10: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 106 comments I just finished A Tine to Live, A Tine to Die. This was a new author for me. I liked the variety of characters, and even though I figured out the murderer, I still thought it was a good book.

message 11: by Alice (new)

Alice | 2119 comments Just finished Grilled for Murder 3.5 stars. Pleasant cozy, you could narrow down possible killer rather quickly. I like the main character, Maddie and her coworker Danna. Two strong hard working woman. I few things I didn't like lack of attention to working in a restaurant. You don't just call up friends to see if someone can work the grill for you that day. Most folks need some training on cook and health and regulations. Also lack of common sense in a kitchen no hats, gloves etc. Her pancakes sound awesome though.

message 12: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7491 comments I finished A Tine to Live, A Tine to Die last night and enjoyed it. The characters were likeable and the story moved along well. I'll be reading more by this author.

message 13: by Alice (new)

Alice | 2119 comments Last night I started Delivering the Truth (Quaker Midwife Mystery, #1) by Edith Maxwell The first in the Quaker Midwife series. It is so good. I love historical mysteries and this one is very well done. Highly recommend.