Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Letters from Ludwig Wittgenstein & Dialectics of Secualrization

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phil (new)

Phil (turbulent_architect) | 32 comments Hi, a couple of problems:

(1) The book Letters from Ludwig Wittgenstein with a Memoir (ISBN 9780631105404) currently lists Ludwig Wittgenstein as an author. In fact, the book is attributed solely to Paul Engelmann, as you can see on the jacket. The book is out of print, so I can't provide you with a page from the publisher's website, but here is a link to Google Books. You can find the bibliographical information at the bottom: https://books.google.ca/books/about/L...

(2) The book The Dialectics of Secularization (ISBN 9781586171667) lists Pope Benedict XVI as the first author and Jürgen Habermas as the second, even though they appear in the opposite order on the cover and Goodreads policy is to list the authors in the order they appear.

message 2: by Phil (new)

Phil (turbulent_architect) | 32 comments Hi, it seems that Dialectics of Secularization has been fixed, but not the memoir. Is there any reason for this?

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41973 comments Mod
We cannot use Google Books as a source. In any case, if the book is someone's letters, it seems reasonable for that someone to be credited as an author.

message 4: by Phil (last edited Dec 12, 2020 01:14PM) (new)

Phil (turbulent_architect) | 32 comments rivka wrote: "We cannot use Google Books as a source. In any case, if the book is someone's letters, it seems reasonable for that someone to be credited as an author."
Oh, wow, I just saw this after over a year of wondering why it hadn't been changed. The book is not just a collection of Wittgenstein's letters; it merely contains some of his letters. It is primarily a memoir and exposition of Wittgenstein's thought written by Paul Engelmann.

In any case, it doesn't really matter what is or isn't reasonable; Engelmann is, in fact, the credited author of the book, not Wittgenstein. Please let me know what does count as a valid source for this kind of information, and I will happily provide it.

message 5: by Leilin (last edited Dec 12, 2020 05:22PM) (new)

Leilin (leilinbooks) | 1786 comments Engelmann is the only one from the cover but several sites of reference still cite both as authors. They do however have Engelmann first, so I switched them. I could enter Wittgenstein as contributor if it sounds better though...

(also providing links to the book entries on Goodreads is always appreciated)

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil (turbulent_architect) | 32 comments Leilin wrote: "Engelmann is the only from the cover but several sites of reference still cite both as authors. They do however have Engelmann first, so I switched them. I could enter Wittgenstein as contributor i..."

Thanks for the reply. I know that sites cite Wittgenstein as an author. However, the book itself does not. I suspect that this is a sales strategy, since Engelmann is completely unknown except to Wittgenstein scholars and enthusiasts. In any case, thanks for changing it. Putting Engelmann as the first author is certainly a big improvement.