James Mustich's 1000 Books to Read Before You Die discussion

Monthly Group Read Ideas

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (sleepysheep) | 8 comments Mod
Hello all - I'd love to get a monthly group read (or more than one!) going for May. I thought about just using a random number generator to select 4 possible books and then create a poll, but perhaps someone has other ideas on how to choose?

With such a small group, we could just start with taking suggestions. Or we could split the group reads into fiction/nonfiction and do 2. Other suggestions and ideas welcome!

message 2: by Marlise (last edited Apr 19, 2019 04:59PM) (new)

Marlise (mawz76) | 175 comments Mod
I'd suggest selecting 2 books with a random number generator since the group is so small. Personally I'd be happy with one book a month. Maybe we could alternate between fiction and nonfiction each month? Do you have a link to the book list? If you haven't already I could help you by making a bookshelf for the group with the books on the list. I have a couple days off work. Lol

message 3: by Marlise (new)

Oops disregard the help with the bookshelf comment. I see that it is up already, thanks!

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 144 comments I think the random number generator would be fine to start. Pick four and then set up a poll.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Well we have our first book of the month/group read! I've updated the current book and set up the poll for June.

If anyone wants to start a discussion thread for this month's title, feel free :)

message 6: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Moore (nathanmoore) Where did everyone purchase this month’s read? I’m having a hard time tracking it down.

message 7: by Marlise (new)

Got mine on ebay

message 8: by Rachel (new)

it is a hard one to find! I was surprised that it wasn't at any of my local libraries, I managed to request it through a university ILL. worldcat is a good option for finding if a library close to you has it.

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 144 comments When will the poll be out for July's books?

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Sorry for the delay in getting polls out - July and August are up now! I'll start getting them up for each quarter in the future so there is more time to find the books and all that.

message 11: by Mariella (new)

Mariella Rinaldi | 165 comments Mod
Marlise wrote: "Do you have a link to the book list?"

1 000 Books List

message 12: by Janet (new)

Janet Is there a pick for September? If not, could we pick one? I'm up for anything except Proust!

message 13: by Mariella (new)

Mariella Rinaldi | 165 comments Mod
Janet wrote: "Is there a pick for September? If not, could we pick one? I'm up for anything except Proust!"

Indeed, there's already been:

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

message 14: by Janet (new)

Janet Mariella wrote: "Janet wrote: "Is there a pick for September? If not, could we pick one? I'm up for anything except Proust!"

Indeed, there's already been:

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay"

Great! That's a personal favorite. I look forward to the discussion.

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 144 comments I haven't had much luck with the monthly read picks--I'd read both the last two, and there was one that I couldn't find. I should have posted my question about picking the monthly reads here instead of the 'Introduction' thread. I'm not sure how many active members we have--maybe half a dozen? I kind of like Marlise's idea up at #2 of alternating between fiction and non, but if we solicit nominations and then vote, we ought to get a couple people on board with the discussions.

Just throwing a couple ideas out there.

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol | 65 comments Janet wrote: "Is there a pick for September? If not, could we pick one? I'm up for anything except Proust!"

I am sorry, but I had to LAUGH OUT LOUD about anything but Proust because Proust's brother was quoted saying: "The sad thing is that people have to be very ill or to have broken a leg in order to have the opportunity to read In Search of Lost Time." I laughed because I DID BREAK MY LEG, and I took the opportunity to read Proust! I am 1/3 of the way through and believe it or not: I LIKED IT!

Picture to prove it: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1EVcqrnp...

message 17: by Carol (new)

Carol | 65 comments I am late to the party, but I just put the book on hold.

message 18: by Marlise (new)

Carol wrote: "Janet wrote: "Is there a pick for September? If not, could we pick one? I'm up for anything except Proust!"

I am sorry, but I had to LAUGH OUT LOUD about anything but Proust because Proust's broth..."

That's hilarious Carol! Haha welcome to our little group!

message 19: by Janet (new)

Janet Unfortunately I have never broken a leg and I am ridiculously healthy. But I will keep Proust in mind just in case of accidents.