2020 SQHS Your Literate Life - BOOK REVIEWS ONLY discussion

Dead Girls Dont Write Letters

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackelin (new)

Jackelin Perez | 8 comments Dead Girls Don’t Write Letters by Gail Giles
Reviewed by Jackelin Perez

Right from the beginning the conflict was introduced but as the story goes on the conflict builds in a way the reader might see it coming but still be surprised by the outcome. Sunny doesn’t change much throughout the story but her character does become more open through the rest of the book. Almost the entire book takes place at her house. When Sunny finds out her sister had died in a fire; she becomes responsible of trying to keep her family together as her parents are going through the loss of their daughter. However, Sunny receives a letter and it’s from her sister which confuses and alerts her. Her mom is not mentally doing well, and her dad is struggling in different way so Sunny really thinks about when she can show them to really decide what to do about it. When Jazz comes home no one was really expecting what would happen which completely threw them off and shifted the situation for the worst and Sunny takes it upon herself to try and sort the mess out to settle the curiosity in her and her family.

I personally like quick read books; I think it gives people more space to come up with different scenarios for themselves about what could’ve happened. Sunny starts out cold and very reserved but as the story develops she reveals more of herself and explains why she is the way she is. Her sister coming home really changed things for her in a bad and good way, Jazz and their mom always had a closer bond than Sunny with their mom since Jazz was the oldest. Jazz coming home helped Sunny not have to worry about how she was going to help her mom that day as much as before Jazz came back from the dead I guess you could say. I liked seeing Sunny change because it was not in a drastic way. I also think Sunny’s mom had more of a voice towards the end of the book since throughout the beginning she was a quieter character that kind of went with what happened and didn’t mind much. I think I would read this again despite the confusing ending I just wish the author would have added more detail to the ending but overall it was a good short book.

message 2: by Iris (new)

Iris | 11 comments The way you write your summary makes me wanna ready this book, i like the way you express this book in your own words. ;)

message 3: by Erika (new)

Erika Thorsen | 38 comments Mod
Sometimes reading a book a second time can reveal a lot that you missed the first time, especially now that you know the ending!

You said it was a quick read. About how long is the book? How long did it take you to read it? Do you recommended this book to others? For what type of reader?

message 4: by Jackelin (new)

Jackelin Perez | 8 comments Breanne wrote: "I really liked the way you explain the book! The way you left a sort of cliff-hanger in the summary was good! This story about Sunny makes me think of Pretty Little Liars in a way...? Do you think ..."

I never got around to finishing pretty little liars but I guess the story line is similar to this book with he mystery of a death.

message 5: by Jackelin (new)

Jackelin Perez | 8 comments Erika wrote: "Sometimes reading a book a second time can reveal a lot that you missed the first time, especially now that you know the ending!

You said it was a quick read. About how long is the book? How long ..."

It took me a week without reading every single day but I'm sure it could be read in less than that. I definitely recommend this book to everyone but especially to people who don't have much time to read long books or just simply like shorter reads.

message 6: by Jackelin (new)

Jackelin Perez | 8 comments Iris wrote: "The way you write your summary makes me wanna ready this book, i like the way you express this book in your own words. ;)"

Thank you and yes check it out it doesn't take long to read and its very interesting.