Play Book Tag discussion

Triangle: The Fire That Changed America
This topic is about Triangle
April 2019: History > Triangle: The Fire That Changed America 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cheryl Coppens | 324 comments I picked this book up thinking it would be the story of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory and the horrific fire that occurred there. It was both so much more and so much less.There was one chapter devoted to the fire. It was compelling and I couldn't read fast enough. I wanted more. The rest of the book covered the conditions that contributed to the disaster from the political climate of bribes and strong arm tactics to the reasons immigrants came to New York to lack of laws and regulations . While I understand why the author included this, I wanted less - way less. These sections were dry and b-o-r-i-n-g. I also didn't expect this to take up about 80% of the book. I generally enjoy reading history books and this one was well researched, but it was a chore to get through. 3 stars for the amount of research and time the author spent on it

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7261 comments I read a book years ago about this tragedy-For the life of me, I cannot remember the title, or who wrote it! I do remember it being very good though-If it comes to me I will post it, in case you would like something better on the subject.

Cheryl Coppens | 324 comments Thank you Joanne. That would be great!

Karin | 6931 comments Yes, I read this after one of my daughters read it to write a paper because it's related to women's history. Didn't love the book, but it was interesting.

LibraryCin | 8139 comments Oh, shoot! I've had this on my tbr for years... It must have been cheap for the ebook, because I eventually bought it.

This is disappointing. :-(

message 6: by Hahtoolah (new)

Hahtoolah | 410 comments I read this book years ago. I had the same impression as you, Cheryl. I don't remember all the details now, but remember being disappointed that it wasn't enough about the actual event of the fire.