2020 SQHS Your Literate Life - BOOK REVIEWS ONLY discussion

Michael Vey Hunt for Jade Dragon

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (last edited Apr 19, 2019 01:36PM) (new)

Kevin N | 10 comments Michael Vey Hunt for Jade Dragon – by Richard Paul Evans
Review – by Kevin Limbach

Michael Vey portrays a large sum of interesting characters with different backgrounds throughout. Starting with; and yes, you guessed it, Michael; a once ordinary 14-year-old high schooler who changes drastically over the course of the series by being more heroic and learning he has a few electric powers up his sleeve. Michael is assisted by his mastermind friend Otis and girlfriend Taylor over the course of the book who happen to accidentally meet and discover each other’s likenesses through Taylor’s power of mind-reading. After blowing up the engine of a multi-billion-dollar ship, the Ampere, and sinking it, they had collected a large selection of friends with special powers like-wise who helped them along the way. Now he and his new team are ready to prevent the destruction humanity by the Elgen, a multi-billion-dollar organization who strive to deliver the world free electricity by methods of creating an “electric” race. The last step in the Elgen’s plan is to fix a machine which will allow them to do so. The only person known who can fix the machine is an autistic, deaf and mute girl prodigy named “Jade Dragon” with an IQ beyond comprehension. The only way they can get her to communicate is though the power of Taylor’s mind-reading.

Richard Paul Evans connects to the reader by displaying not only sensory, but the thoughts and emotions of characters in depth. You get to understand the personalities of everyone easily throughout the book and get very attached to the main characters, especially Michael, (though I would advise you to start from the first book in order to understand everything fully). These strong bonds of emotion and chemistry provide a morale boost even through hardships along their entire journey. If you want a book that will be exciting, keep you on the edge of your seat, but at the same time dive deep into the personalities of every character then this one is a book to read.

Notsogoodreads(Austin.H) | 8 comments Hay Kevin this book sounds interesting, I'm kinda big on fantasy books set in the mid-evil times. I'm guessing its in the present day based on you put "high school student". So on a scale 1-10 would you recommend this to other readers?

message 3: by Helene (new)

Helene Synnott | 10 comments I remember reading part of this series a long time ago, and I remember really loving it. The funny and witty Richard Paul Evans really knows how to connect with his readers through his exciting and gripping content. I remember never wanting it to put it down, and I guess forgot about this series while waiting for the last ones to come out. Now that you've reintroduced me to Michael Vey and his adventures I think I'm going to revisit his story and finally finish the series.

message 4: by Will (new)

Will | 10 comments This sounds like a book i would be interested in. I enjoy reading books about abnormal beings and fantasy. sounds like an action filled story which i need to stay interested in a book.

message 5: by Tushar (new)

Tushar | 17 comments This book sounds really cool with the power of electricity being it focus of the story. And the Jade dragon seems like a really awesome character to read about.

message 6: by Oleh (new)

Oleh | 19 comments Well, this book sounds like interesting and exciting. I wonder what relationships they (teenagers with super powers) have with a normal people.
Do normal people feel jealous toward them? Or do these "super teenagers" keep their super powers in secret?

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin N | 10 comments Oleh wrote: "Well, this book sounds like interesting and exciting. I wonder what relationships they (teenagers with super powers) have with a normal people.
Do normal people feel jealous toward them? Or do the..."

Due to being the prime target of the Elgen, the electric teenagers must keep their powers secret. Only their own parents and rebel organization can be allowed know in order to not risk their location being leaked. They never know who might be under cover waiting for a slip up.

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin N | 10 comments Notsogoodreads(Austin.H) wrote: "Hay Kevin this book sounds interesting, I'm kinda big on fantasy books set in the mid-evil times. I'm guessing its in the present day based on you put "high school student". So on a scale 1-10 woul..."

I would give it a 6 largely due to the fact that it doesn't compare too well in terms of new ideas. A large part of the book felt as if scenes were dragged on for too long, at least for my attention span.