Our Shared Shelf discussion

Miscellaneous > Happy Pesach, Jewish community of Our Shared Shelf.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by I (new)

I comment (Icomment) | 34 comments I want to congratulate the Jewish community of Our Shared Shelf because today begins the most important party for them: the pesach. I would like you to explain to me how do you celebrate the pesach or the Hebrew Passover?
I know that you celebrate the liberation of the people of Israel from the slavery of Egypt.

Deuteronomy 16: 1-4 says:

16 Observe the month of Abib, and keep the passover unto the Lord thy God: for in the month of Abib the Lord thy God brought thee forth out of Egypt by night.

2 Thou shalt therefore sacrifice the passover unto the Lord thy God, of the flock and the herd, in the place which the Lord shall choose to place his name there.

3 Thou shalt eat no leavened bread with it; seven days shalt thou eat unleavened bread therewith, even the bread of affliction; for thou camest forth out of the land of Egypt in haste: that thou mayest remember the day when thou camest forth out of the land of Egypt all the days of thy life.

4 And there shall be no leavened bread seen with thee in all thy coast seven days; neither shall there any thing of the flesh, which thou sacrificedst the first day at even, remain all night until the morning.

message 2: by I (new)

I comment (Icomment) | 34 comments I believe in Jesus. He is the son of God. But I respect and ask respect for the Jewish community around the world.

message 3: by I (new)

I comment (Icomment) | 34 comments I repeat: I believe in Jesus as the son of God. And I think we can learn a lot from the faith of the Jewish people. I love the Jewish people.

They have beautiful traditions. And they try to please our God. And we have one God in common: The God of Israel.

message 4: by I (new)

I comment (Icomment) | 34 comments As a group, we say: No to Anti-Semitism. No to racism.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey "I",

I hope you had a happy easter as well !! Pessah is full of traditions and rituals, your share it within your family !

Some special meals are cooked and shared !

I like your style of writing ;)

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited May 10, 2019 06:57AM) (new)

What follows is plagiarism!
This is the absolute laziest translation of Sefer Ha Toda'ah, by Eliyahu Kitov.

Shabbos ha-Gadol:

"On the tenth day of this month (Nisan)... each man should take a lamb for his household, a lamb for each home." Shemos 12:3

Traditionally, because the first lambs for Pesach were bought 4 days before Passover, lambs are still purchased in advance in order that they may be inspected for blemishes.

Egyptians considered the lamb to be a deity and the advanced purchase of lambs for slaughter was perceived as mockery.

They uttered no protest but were struck with afflictions.
[records on papyrus as well as on klaf/parchment indicate afflictions were experienced by members of the community]

Hashem warned of the last plague on Rosh Chodesh Nisan, "One more plague I shall visit upon Pharoah and upon Egypt." Shemos 11:1

The display of sacrificial lambs which followed this warning led the firstborn of Egypt to revolt against their own leaders, alluded to the psalms, "Who Struck the Eyptians with their firstborn." Techillim 136:10

We commemorate the miracles on Shabbos rather than on the 10th of Nisan because of the integral roll Shabbos played in the miracle: Egyptians took notice of the purchase of these lambs against the usual customs of the Children of Israel and the Children of Israel were obligated to be honest on account of Shabbos.

When the 10th of Nisan falls on a weekday, it is customary to hold a fast in remembrance of the death of Miryam who passed 40 years after the Shabbos ha-Gadol of the original Pesach, marking the end of the miraculous well, which accompanied the Children of Israel in the wilderness.

Unlike all previous Shabbos in Egypt, Israel did not return to labor for Pharoah after Shabbos ha-Gadol.

Haftarah is selected from Malachi, the last message from Biblical Prorophets.

The "Great" man, the Rabbi, is honored by giving a speech and he should instruct the congregation concerning the mitzvos of tithes: terumos, ma'asros, and Tzadakah in order that on the first day of Pesach, favorable judgement may be passed on crops.

[The 10th of Nissan]

The death of Miryam after 39 years in the desert.

The three "benefactors" of Israel: Moshe, Aharon, and Miryam.

"And Miryam died there and was buried there. And there was no water for the congregation." Bimidbar 20:1-2

The crossing of the Jordan into the Holy Land.

"And the people ascended from the Jordan on the tenth day of the first month, and they encamped at Gilgal on the Eastern edge of Jericho." Yehoshua 4:19

Specifically celebrated separately from Shobbos ha-Gadol in order that Israel make a clear distinction between the miracles worked by Hashem for Israel under Egyptian oppression and the crossing of the Jordan.

The Fast of the Righteous in Miryam's honor is equivalent to the sacrifice of the red heifer to purify in preparation for Pesach.
[The red heifer is considered to be lost and extinct]

Pesach

"Blessed are You, Lord our G-d, K-ng of the Universe, who has sanctified us through His Commandments and has commanded us to destroy Chemetz."

Removing Chametz: failure to fulfill the mitzvah of the removal of Chemetz before the Festival results in many transgressions, the punishment of which can be serious.

If one fails to remove Chametz before the festival, he or she may not derive benefit from it after the festival is over and the Chametz which was not removed or destroyed on the eve of the 14th of Nisan must be destroyed at the conclusion of Pesach.

Half an hour before the stars appear at the end of the 13th of Nisan, one is forbidden from performing all labor until all Chametz has been accounted for, removed, or destroyed.

Failure to remove Chametz violates 2 negative Commandments (Shemos 13:7; ibid 12:19) and 1 positive Commandment (ibid 12:15).

By midday on the 14th of Nisan, one must have no Chametz in one's possession. Violation of the positive Commandment begins at this time and from Sunset that evening until the end of the Festival. Every moment that Chametz is present marks the transgression of the 2 negative precepts as well as the positive Mitzvah.

"By the first day of the Festival, all Chametz shall have been removed from your home." (Shemos 12:15)

"You shall not sacrifice the Pesach offering while there is still Chametz." (ibid 23:18)

Thus, obligation for Chametz to have been removed begins on the 14th as this is the day that the sacrifice was made.

During the Festival, one is to regard Chametz as "dust," worthless, inedible.

One should search the premisis by candle light on the eve of the 14th.

The search for Chametz exhibits one's sincere intention of fulfilling Mitzvos which is imperative if one is to mentally render one's Chametz worthless. Removal of Chametz ensures one will have success in fulfilling the Mitzvos in the home as one who fails to do so is subject to temptation or to habitual indulgence.

The search should be concluded with a full renunciation of Chametz; should one discover in one's possession, Chametz on Shabbos or on Yontif. Previous renunciation of all Chametz satisfies all biblical requirements to destroy it immediately.

To search for and to destroy Chametz are Rabbinic requirements and simple nullification of Chametz satisfies Torah Law, however, failure to nullify existing Chametz is only satisfactory if completed with absolute intention before midday on the 14th and so any Chametz which was overlooked will result in transgression of Mitzvos should one discover it in his or her possession throughout the festival. Although it has been renounced, ownership is indisputable if Chametz is seen in one's possession and therefore, because it was omitted from the mental nullification [recited in prayer before Festival] initially, upon discovery, there is no benefit derived from undeclared Chametz and thus one is best advised to search for and to destroy Chametz prior to the Festival.

If one fails to search for and to destroy Chametz by noon on the 14th, it is imperative that the search be conducted as soon as possible without violating laws of Shabbos or of Yontif; imperative to destroy Chametz extends beyond the Festival so that none may derive benefit from the remaining Chametz which should have been destroyed, thus minimizing culpability.

For fear of a distracted search, one should search only by the light of a Kosher candle; tallow, meat fat , lamp oil, or torch should not be used so that there is no potential to render food traif, to soil one's clothing, or to conduct an inadequate search due to unnecessary fire hazard or inaccessibility. The Aramaic word for fear, "chashasha," formed by the acronym of the Hebrew words for tallow, meat fat, lamp oil, and torch (chelev, shuman, shemen, and avukah) call to mind the importance of a thorough search for fear that failure to do so will result in the transgression of 3 biblical Commandments.

A candle with multiple wicks is considered to be a torch and so one should conduct the search with a solitary candle made from wax.

The beracha should be recited before the search is conducted. If one forgets, one should say the blessing before concluding the search. One may be inclined to wash one's hands before the Berachah.

Following the search, Chametz is destroyed after breakfast the next day.

The search, if possible, should be conducted in silence.

[the feather is the optimist's choice but Elijah and his fellow staff at the museum came across a soft pretzel, and tongs were Josh's choice utensil for Chametz removal]

[Seder begins with slaughter and I am uncomfortable introducing such laws on this forum]

Reference:
Kitov, Eliyahu. The Book of Our Heritage: The Jewish Year and its Days of Significance [vol. 1-3]. Translated from the Hebrew by Nachman Bulman, Revised by Dovid Landesman. Feldheim Publishers, Jerusalem, Israel, 1997.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited May 11, 2019 06:24AM) (new)

As I recall, it was Luke who was proffered the tongs.

Edit: I'll say this much, be it Luke or Josh, Jared better remembers the finding of the soft pretzel than I.

Furthermore: Second Passover begins on 19 May, 2019. Because Passover is so important to the Jewish year, a Second Passover exists for people who had an approved excuse to omit practice during the true Passover. People who are considering conversion or who are tinkering with their own private religious beliefs are better suited to observe Second Passover.

Edit.1: The Denver Museum of Nature and Science has released the following statement: "We currently have one of each, an Elijah as well a Theodore on staff."
Edit.2: They're interested in cloning, there at the museum.