Maryse's Book Blog WolfPack/Bridesmaids Meeting Place discussion

Miscellaneous Chatter > Updates on Jenn's Dad/Mom

Comments Showing 1-50 of 125 (125 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments I hope it's okay for me to set this thread up in here. I thought it would be the easiest way to keep you all updated.

message 2: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Jenn texted me yesterday but I didn't have access to my computer until this morning to get this set up.

They met with her Dad's doctors yesterday - news was not what they were expecting or hoping for:

His diagnosis is stage 3 esophageal cancer (not gastric as they had been led to believe). They will not do surgery as it is too risky due to the size of the tumor so he will spend next 6-9 mths getting intense chemo and radiation treatments to try to shrink it. Because he can't eat solid food without choking, they will be putting in a feeding tube to try to keep him from losing any more weight and to ensure he is getting proper nourishment. Jenn is really overwhelmed but trying to stay positive. She wanted me to pass the info along and asked that everyone continue to pray for her Dad.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2458 comments Thoughts, prayers, blessings...all good vibes being sent their way. Warm heart hugs, my friend!!

message 4: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Wow, that's horrible. Lots of prayers to them.

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin Hill (robinhill) | 1525 comments Oh God. Poor Jenn. That's awful. My thoughts are with her family.

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim Carter | 140 comments Thank you for the update Michele, thinking of Jenn and her family. Please encourage her to take time to care for herself, that will give her the strength to be a support to her dad...

message 7: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Keller (bluejenn116) | 425 comments Thank you all so much! My Dad just called and they are moving quickly, they are putting his chemo port in Monday and then he will go for consultation for chemo and radiation on Thursday! I told my Dad he is going to kick this tumors ass and I truly believe he will; he is my real life superhero. Michele mentioned to me that some of you have gone through this with a parent or are currently going through it and just wanted to tell you my thoughts and prayers are with you as well. Love to all of you and again thank you for your prayers. xoxo

message 8: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
((hugs)) and prayers! if you need anything we are here. ❤️

message 9: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Jenn - I'm thinking of you, sweetie. 💗

message 10: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1707 comments (((hugs))) Jenn ❤️ thinking of you and sending positive thoughts and prayers 🙏

message 11: by Donna (new)

Donna B (donnajo11) Praying for her dad ❤️ 🙏🏼

message 12: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Xoxo Jenn!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Sending prayers and good thoughts his way.

message 14: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Many, many prayers for you, your dad, your stepmom, your entire family, and also his doctors.

Love and hugs, Jenn!

message 15: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1159 comments Thank you for the update Michele. Hugs and prayers to Jenn, her Dad and her family. xxoo

message 16: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1025 comments I’m so sorry Jenn, we are actually going through this atm.
I am just having such a terrible year.
My brother in-law was diagnosed about 2 years ago he’s 55years 3 kids. And they have tried everything. So they are trying a trial now.
But he’s now quit his job and my sister has taken leave of absence for 2 months. I think we are just waiting now.
But on the bright side Jenn, my husbands Aunty had the same type of cancer maybe 10 years ago they removed her voice box and she can’t talk or eat. But she is doing fine. She’s very well and 70 years. So he has a great chance, she also has a feeding Tube in her stomach for 10 years. So don’t give up hope.
Unfortunately for my brother in-law, he’s not so lucky. So I’m just praying. ❤️🙏

message 17: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1159 comments Hugs and prayers to you and your family too, Melinda.

message 18: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1025 comments Jan wrote: "Hugs and prayers to you and your family too, Melinda."

Thankyou Jan. xxoo

message 19: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Keller (bluejenn116) | 425 comments Melinda wrote: "I’m so sorry Jenn, we are actually going through this atm.
My brother in-law was diagnosed about 2 years ago he’s 55years 3 kids. And they have tried everyt..."

Thank you Melinda and sending prayers your way. *hugs to you freind* I am praying the trial is his miracle! xoxo

message 20: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1707 comments Melinda wrote: "I’m so sorry Jenn, we are actually going through this atm.
My brother in-law was diagnosed about 2 years ago he’s 55years 3 kids. And they have tried everyt..."

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this too Melinda! Positive thoughts and prayers are with you ❤️

message 21: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Thinking of you both! Unfortunately, this horrible disease has, I'm sure, affected all of us at some point. Stay positive, prayers, and surround yourself with the people you love! *Hugs and kisses*

message 22: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Melinda wrote: "I’m so sorry Jenn, we are actually going through this atm.

Melinda, I was so saddened to hear what your family is going through as well. Hugs and prayers sent your to your family as well...specifically for your brother-in-law and this trial❤️

message 23: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Jean wrote: "Thinking of you both! Unfortunately, this horrible disease has, I'm sure, affected all of us at some point. Stay positive, prayers, and surround yourself with the people you love! *Hugs and kisses*"

So true Jean...

message 24: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4279 comments Thoughts and prayers!

message 25: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1025 comments Thankyou for your kind thoughts. I really believe st this stage it’s just a waiting game. They’ve even bought a plot at the cemetery so I think that’s saying something.

❤️

message 26: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Keller (bluejenn116) | 425 comments Good Morning. I spent time with my Dad yesterday and thought I would send a quick update. Today he has to go have a breathing test done as they need to ensure that his lungs are strong; and tomorrow he sees the cardiologist to ensure there are no issues with his heart before starting chemo. His first chemo treatment is scheduled for this Friday May 3rd. I want to thank all of you again for your heartfelt messages. It means the world to me. Also Melinda I am thinking of you and continued prayers for you and your family. Take Care xoxo

message 27: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Jenn wrote: "Good Morning. I spent time with my Dad yesterday and thought I would send a quick update. Today he has to go have a breathing test done as they need to ensure that his lungs are strong; and tomorro..."

Will continue to pray for y'all, Jenn, and that all of your dad's test come back okay so that he can get that chemo started. {{hugs}} 😘❤️️

message 28: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Melinda--I've only been on here sporadically the past few weeks, so I missed your post. SO saddened and sorry to hear what your BIL is going through. I'll include all of your family in my prayers as well.

Cancer is such a nasty bitch!

message 29: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Jenn, I hope all goes well with your Dad’s testing. How’s he doing with his weight? Are the fruit smoothies and shakes helping any?

message 30: by Donna (new)

Donna B (donnajo11) ❤️🙏🏼

message 31: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Keller (bluejenn116) | 425 comments Michele wrote: "Jenn, I hope all goes well with your Dad’s testing. How’s he doing with his weight? Are the fruit smoothies and shakes helping any?"

Thank you-xoxo....He has continued to lose weight but he is loving the milkshakes and smoothies....the protein shakes...not so much. lol :-)
From the edible fruit arrangement I sent you a picture of his favorite was the fresh strawberries that my step mom made him a milkshake with vanilla ice cream. I think if he was just laying around and drinking these he may have put on weight but my Dad know's how important it is to remain active so he is doing what he can for as long as he can do it for. Although he did have to show my step mom how to mow the lawn just in case he is not well enough or to weak to do it once he starts the treatments. I will be in touch.

message 32: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Keller (bluejenn116) | 425 comments Renee ❤️My heroes are ordinary wrote: "Jenn wrote: "Good Morning. I spent time with my Dad yesterday and thought I would send a quick update. Today he has to go have a breathing test done as they need to ensure that his lungs are strong..."

Thank you so much. xoxo And I 100% agree with you...Cancer is a nasty bitch....just pure evil. Just in the last 8 years starting with my Father in law in 2011, my childhood friend lost his fight at 46 last year to the same cancer my Dad was diagnosed with. And my 4 best friends all lost a parent to cancer. It saddens me and sickens me that all this money and research and here we still are losing loved ones. This is by far my Dad's biggest fight and one we are determined to see him win. I hope you are doing well too! Are you moving around a lot better? *hugs* xoxo

message 33: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Keller (bluejenn116) | 425 comments Donna wrote: "❤️🙏🏼"

Thank you Donna-xoxo

message 34: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Jenn wrote: "Renee ❤️My heroes are ordinary wrote: "Jenn wrote: "Good Morning. I spent time with my Dad yesterday and thought I would send a quick update. Today he has to go have a breathing test done as they n..."

Yes, finally no more crutches or walker, but I'm still hobbling--because pain.

Regarding your dad's weight--when I was on the bypass machine before I got my LVAD back in 2016, I lost 25 lbs., so I had to put on weight fast when they woke me up. They threatened me with a feeding tube, so I started drinking 3 Ensures a day. I thought I was going to have to choke them down, but I found that the vanilla, slightly frozen, was delicious. I even kept drinking them after I got out of the hospital a few weeks later (I finally stopped when I was gaining a bit too much weight for my liking).

I also tried regular milkshakes that hubs brought me a couple of times, and although I loved the taste of those as well, they seemed much heavier than the Ensures and because of all the meds I was on, my stomach couldn't handle them.

Since you say he doesn't like the protein shakes, not sure if he's tried the Ensures or not, but just in case he hasn't, I thought I'd pass my experience along.

message 35: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Keller (bluejenn116) | 425 comments Renee ❤️My heroes are ordinary wrote: "Jenn wrote: "Renee ❤️My heroes are ordinary wrote: "Jenn wrote: "Good Morning. I spent time with my Dad yesterday and thought I would send a quick update. Today he has to go have a breathing test d..."

I am glad you are getting around better now without your crutches YAY....but sorry you still have pain. Praying that goes away for you soon. and thank you for sharing as yes he does drink those and he does in fact like the vanilla one the best. However what I was referring to are the ones my step mom is making him; they just have a lot of vitamins and what not in them that are a little off tasting for my Dad as his taste buds have also been severely affected by the cancer so things that would normally taste good to him taste awful.

message 36: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Jenn, no idea if this helpful but when we had serious weight loss issues with my son, his doc said to do Boost protein shakes. My son loved them and he is major picky. So maybe try diff brands or flavors??

message 37: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Keller (bluejenn116) | 425 comments I texted Michele but I thought since I had a moment I would say Hi to everyone. :-) I just received a text from my Dad...."30 mins into chemo-doing good. love you xoxo* I just love him. He knew how much I have been struggling and stressing with him doing chemo and wanted me to know he was doing okay. I look at my Dad and although very thin he still looks and acts like my Dad....very active. I don't want the chemo to take that away from us so it's been hard not knowing how his body is going to react. I know it's all a part of the process to get to the outcome we most desperately want but I am just having a really hard time with it. Thank you all for your continued prayers...xoxo

message 38: by Kim (new)

Kim Carter | 140 comments Keeping the prayer chain going Jenn....

message 39: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Jenn wrote: "I texted Michele but I thought since I had a moment I would say Hi to everyone. :-) I just received a text from my Dad...."30 mins into chemo-doing good. love you xoxo* I just love him. He knew how..."

I just saw your text and responded....hugs girlie!! Bask in the blessing of that special bond with your Dad. He has to do the chemo to try to get better...hopefully his body will respond okay...I know it's scary.

message 40: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2458 comments This is going to sound weird, but when I went through chemo, I actually looked forward to my chemo sessions. They were so very relaxing. I had my own room, rather than sitting out in a big room with a lot of people, and we'd bring a laptop to watch a movie, and they'd serve lunch and fuss over me. I was scared to death at first because I expected chemo to be like they showed in the movies - violently sick and just a horrible experience. I am truly blessed in that I never really had any of that, and they have come such a long way in combatting expected side effects. The only trauma I suffered was the hair loss. I will pray that your dad has an easy go of it!!!

message 41: by Nay (last edited May 03, 2019 10:01AM) (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Jenn--still praying for your dad and you and your family! I know that (unfortunately) many people have personally been through chemo or have family members who have, so you're probably getting plenty of advice, but I just had to mention that what helped my mom with her nausea was Zofran (also wonderful for morning sickness) and Reglen. And if he does take Zofran, in case the doctor doesn't mention it, a stool softener should almost always accompany it. I'm praying that he'll zoom through it with not problems!

My mom did have some nausea and hair loss, but the meds worked so well that she never missed a day of work.

message 42: by Nay (last edited May 03, 2019 10:04AM) (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Lisa wrote: "This is going to sound weird, but when I went through chemo, I actually looked forward to my chemo sessions. They were so very relaxing. I had my own room, rather than sitting out in a big room wit..."

Lisa--I had no idea you'd been through this, and I'm so sorry you had to experience it! ❤️️

I went with my mom to all of her chemo sessions and she had the same experience. We sat there an chatted, and sometimes she'd nap a bit and I'd read. It gave us time to spend together, which I will always cherish.

message 43: by Lisa (last edited May 03, 2019 10:31AM) (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2458 comments Renee ❤️My heroes are ordinary wrote: "Lisa wrote: "This is going to sound weird, but when I went through chemo, I actually looked forward to my chemo sessions. They were so very relaxing. I had my own room, rather than sitting out in a..."

Thanks, Nay. It's been about 8 years now. Stage 3 Ovarian Cancer. Had to take out all my girl parts too, which wasn't a big deal. I was kind of glad to be done with that stuff...but damn it threw me into menopause and the dreaded hotflashes! Amazing what great doctors, incredible advances in medicine, and a positive outlook can do - once the shock wears off, of course. And I didn't mean to hijack your thread, Jenn. Just wanted you to hear some "good" stories surrounding such scary things...and to let you know you have a zillion thoughts of love and healing headed your way!!

message 44: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Keller (bluejenn116) | 425 comments OMG Lisa I am so sorry you had to deal with that evil monster too. Hugs to you and congratulation on 8 years of winning your fight!!!! No need to apologize, I love hearing happy ending cancer stories. My husband is one of those too so I always hang on to the hope that he beat Kidney Cancer, my step mom and sister in law beat breast cancer, And my Dad will win his fight too. You guys are so awesome. You give me such strength and I love you all for it. Thank you so much! xoxo

message 45: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Good for you, Lisa! What a warrior you are!

Jenn--I'm so sorry you've had to deal with so much of it in your family but happy to hear that they've beat it!

message 46: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Lisa wrote: "Renee ❤️My heroes are ordinary wrote: "Lisa wrote: "This is going to sound weird, but when I went through chemo, I actually looked forward to my chemo sessions. They were so very relaxing. I had my..."

Lisa, I just find you to be such a badass now! Not that I didn't already!! So amazed! Thank you for sharing! I think success stories are so important because we do often only hear the bad stuff.

message 47: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments As a sidenote for success stories, my husband is also a cancer survivor...bladder cancer diagnosed at age 42 with 3 small kids (at the time). He used to run a lot...like ran marathons, etc. The doctors told him it saved his life because if he hadn't, it would have gone undetected. He just turned 56 on Sunday...and he's still cancer free. So there you go Jenn...another one to add to the positive list.

message 48: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2458 comments Michele wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Renee ❤️My heroes are ordinary wrote: "Lisa wrote: "This is going to sound weird, but when I went through chemo, I actually looked forward to my chemo sessions. They were so very relax..."

Well if you aren't the sweetest!!! I am no badass, but I think I shall piledrive you into a hugfest nonetheless!!

message 49: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2458 comments Michele wrote: "As a sidenote for success stories, my husband is also a cancer survivor...bladder cancer diagnosed at age 42 with 3 small kids (at the time). He used to run a lot...like ran marathons, etc. The doc..."

See...now that's a badass!! Fuck Cancer and all its ugliness!

message 50: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Omg you guys! I love you all! It sounds like we've all been touched by this ugliness. Stay strong and positive!

*HUGE HUGS AND PRAYERS*

« previous 1 3