Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > May 2019 Supernatural/Weird Western Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 4710 comments Mod
Our May group read theme is Supernatural/Weird Western, which is defined by Wikipedia as, "a subgenre that combines elements of the Western with another genre,[1] usually horror, occult, fantasy or science fiction."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weird_West

So you can nominate a book that fits into this genre (although try to avoid science fiction, since our last two group reads have been science fiction).

Because it's close to the end of the month, we'll only have about six days for you to post your nominations and then five days to vote. Sorry about that.

(Please recall that we don't vote for books we've already had as a group read--There's a link below to check our list of previous group reads).

Here are the other considerations:

1. One nomination per group member. The books must be nominated with a Goodreads link by clicking on 'add book/author'. If a book does not have a Goodreads link, it will not be added to the poll.
2. Books need to be readily available, ie, in print (able to buy new or in ebook format).
3. Books should have some degree of action/adventure content.
4. Past group reads are not eligible to be nominated again. The past group discussions remain open for members to comment. You can view the list of past reads here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

5. Books must be either standalone or first in a series (or they may be later in a series if constructed to be read as a standalone).
6. Authors are asked not to nominate their own books or solicit nominations from members.

Please feel free to include a blurb for the book so others know a little about the book, along with your Goodreads book link.

The poll will go up on April 25th.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 794 comments I'll nominate Cowboys and Aliens a novelization of the movie by Joan D. Vinge.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2893 comments Mod
Well, I'm looking for new "weird westerns" I think good ones are hard to find. I've seen this one but haven't read it so I'll nominate:

Bloodrush

Bloodrush (The Scarlet Star Trilogy, #1) by Ben Galley

message 4: by Haris (new)

Haris | 7 comments Son of Perdition

A recent weird western that's very dark, but very evocative.

https://www.amazon.com/Son-Perdition-...

message 5: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Starks (lastarks) | 45 comments The Grave On Peckerwood Hill This wonderful book blend just the right touches of humor, characters--what characters!--and the slightly occult--it's easy to sense the ghosts--into a perfect Western.

message 6: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (last edited Apr 20, 2019 10:07AM) (new)

Lisa P | 1965 comments Mod
I will nominate Grinder's Keeper a Nathaniel Caine Adventure Grinder's Keeper a Nathaniel Caine Adventure by Eric Bahle by Eric Bahle

Fans of Joe R. Lansdale, Robert Davis, and Adam Millard will love this fast paced tale of the Weird West.
What can one man do against the ancient terror that stalks a helpless town? Hartsburgh is a sleepy mountain town far off the beaten path. But when Nathaniel Caine's path leads that way, dark rumors surface. Something is taking the innocent townsfolk. Something that comes at will in the night and can't be stopped by bullets. Caine rides out, but not all is as it appears on the surface. Hartsburgh hides many secrets, and one of them could spell doom for everyone on the mountain. Caine finds himself in the middle of a deadly game with many players. An army colonel and his cruel sergeant, a murderous road agent and his bloodthirsty gang, a mysterious scout...everyone has their own agenda, but who is the true danger? To save these people Caine must travel a dark path. He must look below the surface and unravel the knot of secrets. And all while trying to keep his own hide intact!

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2893 comments Mod
Well, I've already made a nomination so I can't nom this one but I just became aware that Charlaine Harris has written a "weird western" and I know a lot of people like her. If anyone is looking for a different book (and I know I can't nominate 2 I'm just making anyone aware who hasn't seen it) it's An Easy Death. Looks like it's intended to be the first in a series.

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 4710 comments Mod
I'll nominate An Easy Death.

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

The poll is up. It will close in five days (April 30th 11:59pm Pacific)

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...