CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2019 > May 2019: A Book to Support Mental Health

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4241 comments Mod
May 6 to 12th is Mental Health Week.

The CMHA says: "Mental health is a state of well-being, and we all have it. We might have a mental illness, and we might not. Either way, we can all feel well. We can all have good mental health. It is about having a sense of purpose, strong relationships, feeling connected to our communities, knowing who we are, coping with stress and enjoying life. And it’s never too early or too late to get there. But it’s not just about what you do for yourself, by yourself—everyone needs healthy and supportive places to work, live and learn."

What are your suggestions for a group read? Share your thoughts in the next few days and I will add a poll to pick the May read.

message 2: by Alan (new)

Alan | 626 comments Didn’t Miriam Toews write a book about the suicide of her sister and her mental health struggles. And there was the recent one by Camille Gibbs.
Also I believe the film from the seventies Outrageous was about,partially a woman with mental health issues. Andvther is Romeo Delaires book about ptsd and Michael Wilson,former finance minister wrote a book about depression. One American, Will Styron wrote an excellent memoir about depression called Darkness Visible.

message 4: by Alan (new)

Alan | 626 comments I’ve never read Joan Clark and always wondered about her work.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisafriel) | 235 comments I had Bellevue Square by Michael Redhill penciled in for the Bingo square (Allison's Pick: A fictional book involving a character with mental health challenges), but I imagine most have already read it.

message 6: by Ann-Marie (new)

Ann-Marie | 213 comments I recently read “The Crazy Game” - on the Canada Reads longlist and a memoir by Craig Marlarchuk (sp?) who was an NHL hockey Goalie who experienced a traumatic injury while playing. It’s a good book to explore PTSD and the triggers that can highlight & amplify mental illness.