CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2019 > w/o April 19 to 26, 2019

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4242 comments Mod
Good morning readers! Happy Easter to those who celebrate!

It is great to have a 3 (or 4) day weekend to enjoy family, spring weather and, of course, books!

What are you reading? What is next on your bedside table?

“That is one good thing about this world...there are always sure to be more springs.”
― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Avonlea

message 2: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 599 comments I have been flip flopping between too many books over the past several months and want to be more focused on one (or two) at a time. I just finished the audio of The Great Alone and it exceeded my expectations. Had heard so many good comments about the book and they held true for me. Would recommend this one.

I have been slowly getting into Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss, it does have some humorous bits that I am enjoying.

I am begrudgingly trying to finish "The Woo Woo"...it's like a bad hangover from Canada Reads....I really dislike this book. I wanted to give it my honest go, it's taken everything I have and about 6 attempts.

I plan to re-read When Bad Things Happen to Good People. I read it 20+ years ago, and am feeling drawn to it again.

Wishing everyone a happy weekend in all that you may have planned.

message 3: by Emmkay (last edited Apr 19, 2019 08:16AM) (new)

Emmkay | 383 comments I am closing in on a couple of months of working every weekend, and definitely feeling it. Looks like about a month more of the same, urgh. But having a good book on the go does help.

I finished Tilly and the Crazy Eights, which was all right. I think it would appeal to people who have been enjoying the recent up-tick in 'up-lit' and stories about older people.

I also read and was really impressed by an older, likely out of print art book called Cellblock Visions: Prison Art in America. It's not that they're all masterpieces, but the way that the book discusses prison art and the lives of inmates - and shows how this is reflected in their work - is really enlightening.

Also read a Sally Rooney short story in one happy little gulp, Mr Salary.

Currently reading American Prison: A Reporter's Undercover Journey into the Business of Punishment.

message 4: by Story (last edited Apr 19, 2019 08:51AM) (new)

Story (storyheart) Happy long weekend to those who get one.

I abandoned Andre Alexis's Days by Moonlight at the half-way point. Beautifully written though it was, it just did not catch my attention--attention that was fully hijacked by Yuval Noah Harari's chilling and surprisingly funny (in places) 21 Lessons for the 21st Century. This was my first 'couldn't put it down' book of 2019 and I found myself following my husband around forcing him to listen to parts of it.

I also finished and really liked Unmarriageable on audio and am now completely engrossed by My Year of Rest and Relaxation. Thanks to alisonhikesthebackwoods for her endorsement of this. I never would have thought to try it without her enthusiastic review.

I'm also reading Dreyer’s English: An Utterly Correct Guide to Clarity and Style and am loving his snarky writing. While I may follow his advice to bury my dear old friends "Really" and "Truly", he'll have to pry my !! and (parenthetical asides) from my cold, dead, clichéd hands!!

message 5: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4242 comments Mod
Hi everyone, i have been a bit delinquent and missed posting last week. We have got a new puppy and she has been keeping us very busy!!

Since last post, I have only finished A Mind Spread Out on the Ground. It is very eloquently written and has a lot of thought provoking essays. While I totally agree that things need to change and that residential schools and policies are a horrible history of Canada, i did struggle with the negativity of the book. While it is so important that individuals recognize the uniqueness of indigenous and First Nations peoples, I struggled with the way the author lumped together "white people" when so many of us are learning, understanding and ensuring the past history does not continue. It is certainly a book to get people talking which is positive but I prefer the approach of David Chariandy who spoke of spending time with allies, finding "love, connection and intimacy" being a beautiful thing.

I am in the midst of Apron Strings: Navigating Food and Family in France, Italy, and China which I am really enjoying although it is making me hungry. The author came to St. George to speak at One Book One Brant and shared her experience on sabbatical which she spent with her son traveling France, Italy and China to learn how the average families cook. It is a combination of food, history, interesting individuals and some great recipes to try... although i don't think i am up for eating pigeon!!!

I am also listening to The Home for Unwanted Girls although might have to pick up the actual book since I don't have any commuting on the long weekend.

@Wanda - i seem to be having the same problem. i think that i need to put my phone away more often!!

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan | 929 comments Happy Friday, and happy long weekend to those who have today off work!

This week I finished No Tomorrow, which I enjoyed. The Killing Eve books are so different from the TV series, I hope the various plots don't all get jumbled up in my brain.

I'm currently reading On the Come Up, which I'm enjoying very much. This book is less obviously issue-oriented than The Hate U Give and in some ways I'm enjoying it more because of that. Maybe it's just that the issues are dealt with in a more subtle manner. I do like that Thomas has linked the books, though not in a way that requires you to have read THUG first.

I'm also still slowly making my way through Dance of the Happy Shades and have started Jerusalem: Chronicles from the Holy City, both of which are for bingo. Jerusalem is my pick from CBC's 100 True Stories and it's a very interesting graphic memoir/travelogue. It's witty at times but also does a good job of showing how complicated life in Israel is. It's eye opening!

message 7: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 989 comments Happy Easter and long weekend!
This week I finished reading The Red Address Book and Maybe in Another Life and listening to Life Will Be the Death of Me: . . . and You Too! and Evil Has A Name: The Untold Story of the Golden State Killer Investigation.
@Susan, your new puppy is soooo cute!! No wonder you are a little pre-occupied, LOL!!

message 8: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 563 comments Happy Easter everyone, this week been doing some spring cleaning, so audio books have been my best friend. Just finished listening to Cataract City which I thouroughly enjoyed, and it does well in audio.

I have now read three books by Craig and each was so different from the others, Precious Cargo: My Year of Driving the Kids on School Bus 3077 was nonfiction, and The Troop was horror. It is really a sign of a great writer when they can do so many different genres.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2039 comments I haven’t been reading much this week. I’m rewatching Game of Thrones every night once the kids are in bed. I’ve started reading The Gown, but I’m not very far into it. I’m listening to Murder on the Orient Express. My first Agatha Christie book!

message 10: by Petra (new)

Petra | 836 comments @Susan: a new puppy! How exciting! She must be bringing chaos and joy into your family home. Keep having fun with her. Dogs are so wonderful.

@Allison hikes the bookwoods: I don't read many mysteries but do enjoy Agatha Christie books occasionally. Hercule Poirot is a really good character.

Many of the books mentioned above are new titles to me, so lots are going on my overloaded TBR list.

I've been so busy since retiring. It's surprising. I'm doing the things I couldn't do while working and my time is enjoyable and filled. I'm helping my tai-chi instructor with another class of his. I tutor the very beginners after he shows them the moves. This frees his time for the beginners who are one or two sessions ahead.

Recently I've been rereading The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and have completed the first two books. I'm loving it. It's wacky, quirky and zany. It's an incredibly imaginative story that all comes together well.

I've also finished A Canticle for Leibowitz, a look into post-apocalyptic Earth. I enjoyed it quite a bit.