Play Book Tag discussion

By the Shores of Silver Lake  (Little House, #5)
This topic is about By the Shores of Silver Lake
April 2019: History > By the Shores of Silver Lake / Laura Ingalls Wilder. 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8018 comments Laura and her family are heading West. Laura and Pa are excited, though Ma is a bit hesitant, but Pa has promised they will find a homestead and settle down, and the girls can go to school.

This is such a great series! There were some beautiful descriptions of the Prairies (there were also some “extra” descriptions (of the prairie and other things) as Laura was Mary’s eyes, as Mary had recently gone blind after a bout with scarlet fever). I also really enjoyed the building of the town. You just don’t think about what it takes to start from scratch with no one else around and to watch a town be built from nothing!

LibraryCin | 8018 comments I am mostly using the history tag for nonfiction, but I feel like this has enough real history, real situations, that I decided to also use this for "history".

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments I totally think these have enough to be called history! They are more than historical fiction but less than nonfiction. Lol

I loved these books as a kid. I want to reread them but am also scared that they won’t be as fabulous as I remember them...

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5537 comments I'm slowly making my way through this series. I've got book # 7 on hold through overdrive (audio). It's taking F O R E V E R to come in. There's only one copy in the library system (and no actual CDs) ... and it seems that everyone who checks it out keeps it for the full two weeks.

I think I figured I'll probably get it in July ....

LibraryCin | 8018 comments Nicole R wrote: "I totally think these have enough to be called history! They are more than historical fiction but less than nonfiction. Lol..."

Yes, exactly!!!

And I think they live up to it, even as an adult. I read them as a kid, as well, but honestly don't remember what I thought of them then. I think I gave the first one 5 stars.