Horror Aficionados discussion

Buddy Reads > The Silence of the Lambs - Thomas Harris

Comments Showing 1-50 of 109 (109 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Ginger (last edited Apr 18, 2019 08:05PM) (new)

Ginger | 3223 comments Come join Terry, Vickie and I as we continue the Dr. Hannibal Lecter series!

You have time to finish up some books since we won't be starting this until May 6th.

message 2: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments Woohoo, can't wait!

message 3: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4837 comments I’m expecting nothing to be silent or meek about this one!

message 4: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3223 comments Terry wrote: "I’m expecting nothing to be silent or meek about this one!"

Ha!!! So true. :D

message 5: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene | 694 comments I will join too :) and will start with you all on said date
🐑

message 6: by Ginger (last edited Apr 20, 2019 09:34AM) (new)

Ginger | 3223 comments Marie Helene wrote: "I will join too :) and will start with you all on said date
🐑"

Woot woot! So glad to hear Marie Helene. Bring on the sheep!

message 7: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene | 694 comments Ginger wrote: "Marie Helene wrote: "I will join too :) and will start with you all on said date
🐑"

Woot woot! So glad to hear Marie Helene. Bring on the sheep!"

And good Dr Lecter too 🍽🍷

message 8: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4837 comments So, are we ready to break our Silence tomorrow? I know I am, 😁!

message 9: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene | 694 comments Yes Terry, I am too!
😄

message 10: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3223 comments For sure!! Bring on the lambs! 🐑🤣

message 11: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments Can't wait, looking forward to it!

message 12: by Terry (last edited May 06, 2019 05:34AM) (new)

Terry | 4837 comments I started this morning. In ch3, (view spoiler)

message 13: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments Darn it, I want to keep reading, but I have to get to bed.😒 Yes, the only downside for me while reading this is that I'm constantly comparing to the movie.🤦‍♀️

message 14: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4837 comments Vickie wrote: "Darn it, I want to keep reading, but I have to get to bed.😒 Yes, the only downside for me while reading this is that I'm constantly comparing to the movie.🤦‍♀️"

I think it’s impossible not to with this one.

message 15: by Ginger (last edited May 06, 2019 08:38PM) (new)

Ginger | 3223 comments Terry wrote: "I started this morning. In ch3, [spoilers removed]"

I know!! There’s already quite a few differences and I’m happy about that. I did not realize (view spoiler)

It’s been hard not thinking of the movie while reading this. I will have to say they picked great actors/actresses for the roles but I’m really liking the book characters more, especially Starling in particular. She seems more of a badass in this book and not so fragile from the movie.

message 16: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4837 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "I started this morning. In ch3, [spoilers removed]"

I know!! There’s already quite a few differences and I’m happy about that. I did not realize [spoilers removed]

It’s been hard no..."

Yes, on your spoiler (view spoiler)

message 17: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene | 694 comments Started yesterday 😀

I enjoyed the Author's Note about him 'visiting' the Monterrey state prison in Mexico. He was only 23, and thought of himself as a seasoned crime reporter: it was before he started meeting the inmates.

Finished ch3. Clarice vs Lecter. First round.

message 18: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments Marie Helene wrote: "Started yesterday 😀

I enjoyed the Author's Note about him 'visiting' the Monterrey state prison in Mexico. He was only 23, and thought of himself as a seasoned crime reporter: it was before he sta..."

Oh, that's interesting. I didn't have that in my copy. Thanks for sharing that tidbit of info Marie Helene!😊

message 19: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4837 comments Vickie wrote: "Marie Helene wrote: "Started yesterday 😀

I enjoyed the Author's Note about him 'visiting' the Monterrey state prison in Mexico. He was only 23, and thought of himself as a seasoned crime reporter:..."

I didn’t have that in mine either. Thanks also!

message 20: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene | 694 comments I am reading it on my Kindle. It seems that I downloaded the 25th Anniversary edition, hence the Author's note.

But you can read it online if you go to the Kindle store and use 'Look inside'

https://www.amazon.com/Silence-Lambs-...

message 21: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments Cool, thanks Marie Helene! That was fascinating to read. :-)

message 22: by Ginger (last edited May 07, 2019 08:35AM) (new)

Ginger | 3223 comments Marie Helene wrote: "I am reading it on my Kindle. It seems that I downloaded the 25th Anniversary edition, hence the Author's note.
http..."

I liked reading the author's note as well. We're reading the same version Marie Helen! :D

message 23: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments I read over my lunch break and am up to chapter 10. Gotta say, I love the more detailed version you get in the book. Also, in chapter 7 (view spoiler)

message 24: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4837 comments Vickie wrote: "I read over my lunch break and am up to chapter 10. Gotta say, I love the more detailed version you get in the book. Also, in chapter 7 [spoilers removed]"

Did you notice in that ch7 part that (view spoiler)

I’m just to the end of ch8 myself.

message 25: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments Terry wrote: "Vickie wrote: "I read over my lunch break and am up to chapter 10. Gotta say, I love the more detailed version you get in the book. Also, in chapter 7 [spoilers removed]"

Did you notice in that ch..."

Yes, I did notice that too. Exact same impression for me. :-)

message 26: by Rafael (last edited May 08, 2019 12:25PM) (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 580 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "I started this morning. In ch3, [spoilers removed]"

I know!! There’s already quite a few differences and I’m happy about that. I did not realize [spoilers removed]

It’s been hard no..."

I don't remember what book from the quadrilogy says it but he also has (view spoiler)

message 27: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3223 comments Rafael wrote: "I don't remember what book from the quadrilogy says it but he also have "

Woah! Thanks Rafael for the extra information on Lecter's oddness. :D

message 28: by Ginger (last edited May 07, 2019 06:40PM) (new)

Ginger | 3223 comments Terry wrote: "Vickie wrote: "I read over my lunch break and am up to chapter 10. Gotta say, I love the more detailed version you get in the book. Also, in chapter 7 [spoilers removed]"

Did you notice in that ch..."

Vickie wrote: "I read over my lunch break and am up to chapter 10. Gotta say, I love the more detailed version you get in the book. Also, in chapter 7 [spoilers removed]"

I got that about (view spoiler)

message 29: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4837 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "Vickie wrote: "I read over my lunch break and am up to chapter 10. Gotta say, I love the more detailed version you get in the book..."

For someone in (view spoiler)

message 30: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4837 comments Marie Helene wrote: "I am reading it on my Kindle. It seems that I downloaded the 25th Anniversary edition, hence the Author's note.

http..."

I read that introduction. That was great, real life being crazier than fiction for sure.

message 31: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3223 comments Just got to the beginning of Ch13. There’s so much more detail in this like (view spoiler)
I’m really enjoying it! I’m not thinking about the movie as much anymore since the book is so good. Yay!

message 32: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments Ginger wrote: "Just got to the beginning of Ch13. There’s so much more detail in this like [spoilers removed]
I’m really enjoying it! I’m not thinking about the movie as much anymore since the book is so good. Yay!"

Yes, I'm loving the details! That's what is always a shame with watching the movie versions, they lose so much in storyline details and character development. I get it, though, it's a movie, and that's why I love books! :-)

message 33: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3223 comments Vickie wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Just got to the beginning of Ch13. There’s so much more detail in this like [spoilers removed]
I’m really enjoying it! I’m not thinking about the movie as much anymore since the book..."

Exactly! I’m also enjoying the character of Crawford more. He’s much more layered, intelligent and complicated then the movies made him out to be. I would want to work for him as well!

message 34: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3223 comments Ch15 - (view spoiler)

message 35: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene | 694 comments Ginger wrote: "Vickie wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Just got to the beginning of Ch13. There’s so much more detail in this like [spoilers removed]
I’m really enjoying it! I’m not thinking about the movie as much anymore..."

Special Agent Ginger 😉

message 36: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3223 comments Marie Helene wrote: "Special Agent Ginger 😉"

I'm on the case! ;) hahaha

message 37: by Terry (last edited May 09, 2019 05:26AM) (new)

Terry | 4837 comments Ginger wrote: "Ch15 - [spoilers removed]"

I just made it to ch15 also. (view spoiler)

message 38: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments Yes, (view spoiler)

message 39: by Ginger (last edited May 09, 2019 07:32AM) (new)

Ginger | 3223 comments Vickie wrote: "Yes, [spoilers removed]"

Terry wrote: "I just made it to ch15 also. [spoilers removed]"

I agree with you both!! (view spoiler)

message 40: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4837 comments Ginger wrote: "Vickie wrote: "Yes, [spoilers removed]"

Terry wrote: "I just made it to ch15 also. [spoilers removed]"

I agree with you both!! [spoilers removed]"

Definitely! Some movies, you wonder if they ever read it at all!

message 41: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene | 694 comments Finished ch9. Clarice vs Lecter. Round 2.
She is no longer 'Little Starling'.

message 42: by Ginger (last edited May 10, 2019 06:59AM) (new)

Ginger | 3223 comments Got to Ch21 this morning. Crawford is much more present in this book. I'm really enjoying the chase of Buffalo Bill! (view spoiler)

message 43: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 680 comments Yes, Ginger, agreed! And in Chapter 20, (view spoiler)

message 44: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3223 comments Vickie wrote: "Yes, Ginger, agreed! And in Chapter 20, [spoilers removed]"

Oh yes! Good grief I could feel the (view spoiler)

message 45: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene | 694 comments Starting Ch17. Loved the fact that Clarice has bunny slippers 😀

message 46: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene | 694 comments Jodie Foster is a fantastic actress, and she truly deserves her Oscar for TSOTL, but I have now a strong liking for Clarice-from-the-book. And it keeps on growing 🤗

message 47: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 3223 comments Marie Helene wrote: "Jodie Foster is a fantastic actress, and she truly deserves her Oscar for TSOTL, but I have now a strong liking for Clarice-from-the-book. And it keeps on growing 🤗"

I totally feel the same Marie Helene! I like the character so much more in this book.

message 48: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene | 694 comments Finished Ch22.
Could Lecter be ambidextrous? 🤔

message 49: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4837 comments Marie Helene wrote: "Finished Ch22.
Could Lecter be ambidextrous? 🤔"

Not only that, I think he’s good with either hand...🙃😁

message 50: by Terry (new)

Terry | 4837 comments I’ve been sick the last couple of days, so no reading progress for me. Hope to be better tomorrow.

« previous 1 3