World, Writing, Wealth discussion

The Lounge: Chat. Relax. Unwind. > What musician, past or present, is your favorite, and what song or composition would you recommend?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5192 comments My favorite is Bob Dylan because he's a poet and a musician. He uses his brain as a major instrument to make something provocative and relatable, as the best creative people in all genres do. I'm always amazed by that. I'd recommend listening to "Not Dark Yet."

message 2: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) I listen to a lot of different types of music. This morning I'm in a bluegrass mood, so I recommend this classic by Flatt & Scruggs. It's called "Cripple Creek" and if you are in the mood for some happy toe-tapping music, this is it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4sqi...

message 3: by Ella (new)

Ella Craig | 38 comments Early Billy Bragg – anything from his “Life's a Riot with Spy Vs Spy” album to “Don’t Try this at Home” - difficult to choose favourite track(s), but today I’ll go for “She's Got a New Spell”, “Help Save the Youth of America” and “The Milkman of Human Kindness”.

My all-time favourite song is “(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais” by The Clash, a timeless classic and I want it played at my funeral in about 100 years’ time.

Please note: I do have a softer side; currently blasting out a bit of retro fun with The Spice Girls cranked up to eleven. I probably need to get out more.

message 4: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5192 comments Thanks for that rec, Holly. And, Ella, it's so cool that you know what you want played at your funeral in a 100 years' time :-) I want the old hymns "I'll Fly Away" and "In the Garden" played at mine. I'm going to listen to some Billy Bragg. I'm surprised that there aren't more music fans here.

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13090 comments Scout wrote: "I'm surprised that there aren't more music fans here..."

I'm sure there are plenty. For me it's hard to single out - any one song, even 10

message 6: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2103 comments I think the problem is you asked for "favorite," and if others are like me, you don't have a favorite, you like a basket of artists and groups.

Or you like something without thinking about it. I have a Marvin Gaye live show in my playlist, and I can't ever seem to grow tired of hearing it. But I've never really considered myself a Marvin Gaye fan...

I also have a couple B.B. King shows in my playlist.

I seem to really like Counting Crows live performances since the turn of the century. In the 90s, they performed the songs a little too slow and weepy, but they've since found the perfect balance between the weird and artsy, and lively and energetic.

message 7: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5192 comments Marvin Gaye, BB King, yes! I'll check out Counting Crows.

message 8: by Marie (new)

Marie | 541 comments I like all kinds of music: Classic rock (70's, 80's, and 90's), pop music from the 70's and 80's, hard rock (mostly from the 80's and 90's), country music (mostly 80's to present), soft pop/rock (70's, 80's and 90's).

Favorite band: Journey

Favorite singer: Bruce Springsteen

Favorite country band: Little Big Town

Favorite country singer: Garth Brooks

Favorite female soft pop: Celine Dion

Favorite male soft pop: Lionel Richie