World, Writing, Wealth discussion

The Lounge: Chat. Relax. Unwind. > Sex addiction - a cop out or a real thing?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5192 comments Many times, when people are caught in compromising sexual situations, they check themselves into a treatment center for "sex addiction." Is this a real thing or just a cop out?

message 2: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 7090 comments I think it's a real thing.

But someone could claim to be a 'sex addict,' as an excuse for bad behavior.

message 3: by Nik (last edited Apr 20, 2019 03:13AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 13095 comments As I can see on the Wiki, the entire concept is contentious: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_... .
If it is an addiction wouldn't want to get rid of it. It just should be controllable, similarly to other instincts. Impotence sounds worse.

message 4: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5192 comments So, people whose sexual habits cause problems are really just self-indulgent and not victims of addiction?

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13095 comments Not a medic to determine, although as we can see from wiki's summery neither can doc-s -:)
Certainly, not an expert in psychology, but as far as I understand Freud theorized that libido & aggression were two main driving forces of a soul.
It's our instinct. Then, likewise, we can be fear - addictive or hunger-addictive.
Supposedly, controlling our instincts differentiates humans from animals.
The norms of sexual behavior are being redefined, sometimes excessively. Male courting is soon to be outlawed, just in case -:)

message 6: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5192 comments It seems that any behavior that triggers our pleasure center is deemed potentially addictive. Gambling, sex, shopping, eating, drugs, alcohol, violence. Does DNA determine which - if any of these - becomes a problem that screws with our daily life?

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris Haliday (krishaliday) | 127 comments I think that the

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris Haliday (krishaliday) | 127 comments I think that the issue with sex addiction is exactly that: sexual release has nothing to do with what one would called affective connection or enjoyment: it is strictly biochemical. I found Michael Fassbender's portrayal of Brandon--a sex addict--in Shame (2011) enlightening. For me it made the line somewhat more clear between an addiction and mere self-indulgence or irresponsibility. I ended up feeling nothing but compassion for Brandon: his life was a living hell.