Play Book Tag discussion

Code Name: Lise: The True Story of the Woman Who Became WWII's Most Highly Decorated Spy
This topic is about Code Name
April 2019: History > Code Name: Lise: The True Story of the Woman Who Became WWII's Most Highly Decorated Spy by Larry Loftis - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 4865 comments This is the story of Britain's most highly decorated spy, an astoundingly courageous and daring woman. It's full of action, suspense, and even romance - and it's all true.

Though the term "non-fiction thriller" may seem oxymoronic at first, this book is a perfect example of the genre. Because of the wealth of documentation on this, especially from the principals themselves in the form of debriefing statements and memoirs, even the dialogue is accurate and not at all made up. It's written like a thriller, which makes it a fast-paced and easy read, but it's a straight-forward account of the activities of the spy protagonists in World War II. It's quite compelling and I highly recommend it, but a warning to the weak-stomached - it has descriptions of torture and the atrocities of the Nazi concentration camps and prisons.

message 2: by Joanne (new) - added it

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7121 comments I have this on my TBR, been debating whether it stays or goes-your review has saved it!