Historical Fiction Lovers discussion

Suggestions for books please :)

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen Richardson (karencrichardson) | 6 comments Mod
Hi everyone,
We've already got some great members, and it's up to you how much you want to join in, but thought we could start with book suggestions, and or favourite three books read in the last year - any kind - don't have to be historical fiction.

message 2: by Karen (new)

Rebecca Reddell is going to choose our first book, and I am looking forward to her choice. A couple of weeks to get it delivered and we can start reading. We can get around to everyone's subgenres bit by bit :)

message 3: by SoulSurvivor (new)

SoulSurvivor (kimosabi2018) I enjoyed 'Remakable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier a lot . It provides good information of scientific (fossils) discovery during the Victorian
Era . The discussion of Victorian mores was awesome as well .

Ed

message 4: by Karen (new)

Soul Survivor wrote: "I enjoyed 'Remakable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier a lot . It provides good information of scientific (fossils) discovery during the Victorian
Era . The discussion of Victorian mores was awesome as ..."

Oh, that's great! I'll have a look at it. We can make that one of the books we discuss if you like?

message 5: by SoulSurvivor (new)

SoulSurvivor (kimosabi2018) Why don't you at least start it , and see what you think ? Thanks for inviting me to the group .

message 6: by Karen (new)

I'm going to order it as soon as I get home, yes. Thank you!
And thanks for joining!

message 7: by Karen (new)

Soul Survivor wrote: "Why don't you at least start it , and see what you think ? Thanks for inviting me to the group ."

I'm finding Goodreads doesn't show up messages or whatever unless I refresh the page so that's why I'm missing everything!
Learning...

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Reddell (goodreadscomuser_rebeccareddell) | 3 comments Hi, all! Thanks for the invite, and I'm humbled to be one of the first to make a reading suggestion. Would the group be interested in reading a classic historical fiction book by Georgette Heyer called Why Shoot a Butler?
It's a mystery and quite fun. Please let me know if you all would like to give it a try! :)

Here's the link to check it out: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Reddell (goodreadscomuser_rebeccareddell) | 3 comments Soul Survivor wrote: "I enjoyed 'Remakable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier a lot . It provides good information of scientific (fossils) discovery during the Victorian
Era . The discussion of Victorian mores was awesome as ..."

I'm adding this title to my "must-read" list! I have to say it looks very interesting! Thank you for sharing the suggestion here. :)

message 10: by SoulSurvivor (new)

SoulSurvivor (kimosabi2018) Rebecca wrote: "Soul Survivor wrote: "I enjoyed 'Remakable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier a lot . It provides good information of scientific (fossils) discovery during the Victorian
Era . The discussion of Victorian..."

And I have added 'The Battle' to mine . Hope you enjoy the Chevalier book .

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Reddell (goodreadscomuser_rebeccareddell) | 3 comments Soul Survivor wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "Soul Survivor wrote: "I enjoyed 'Remakable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier a lot . It provides good information of scientific (fossils) discovery during the Victorian
Era . The discuss..."

Thank you! I appreciate you doing that! I hope you enjoy it, and I'm sure I will like Remarkable Creatures. It looks like my type of read. ;)

message 12: by Julia (new)

Julia Blair (winteralley) | 3 comments I recently read Min Jin Lee's novel, 'Pachinko.' It follows a Korean immigrant family in Japan from 1883 to the present. I love historical fiction in an Asian setting, and this was a look at a part of Japanese society that I was unfamiliar with. Highly recommend!

message 13: by SoulSurvivor (new)

SoulSurvivor (kimosabi2018) You might also enjoy 'The Girl Who Wrote in Silk' by Kelli Estes .
It's Asian connected .

message 14: by Emilie (new)

Emilie Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier is one of my favorites!

message 15: by SoulSurvivor (new)

SoulSurvivor (kimosabi2018) Emilie wrote: "Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier is one of my favorites!"

I agree , she's a great author .

message 16: by Gio (new)

Gio C | 1 comments I really enjoyed "Nefertiti" by Michelle Moran. I can't seem to find too many books on ancient Egypt and this was one that I really enjoyed. If you are looking for more in the Asian culture you should definitely read "The Moon In The Palace" by Weina Dai Randel.

message 17: by SoulSurvivor (new)

SoulSurvivor (kimosabi2018) I haven't read much at all about ancient Egypt , but I can walk like an Egyptian . https://youtu.be/Cv6tuzHUuuk

message 18: by Julia (new)

Julia Blair (winteralley) | 3 comments Soul Survivor wrote: "You might also enjoy 'The Girl Who Wrote in Silk' by Kelli Estes .
It's Asian connected ."

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely add it to my list.

message 19: by Julia (new)

Julia Blair (winteralley) | 3 comments Gio wrote: "I really enjoyed "Nefertiti" by Michelle Moran. I can't seem to find too many books on ancient Egypt and this was one that I really enjoyed. If you are looking for more in the Asian culture you sho..."

Thanks! Another one for the list. I also read Nefertiti and liked it.

message 20: by Robin (last edited May 08, 2019 07:18PM) (new)

Robin Holmes Richardson (acetax) | 2 comments Hello all...

Am new to the group and wanted to chime in about a couple of great series I've read/am reading:

James McLevy mystery series by David Ashton: Set in Victorian Edinburgh. How can you pass up a series about an inspector referred to as "a sharp splinter in the rump of authority"? It is delightful! Currently 4 books, with a spin-off of 2 more. The first book is "Shadow of the Serpent".

American Bicentennial Series by John Jakes: From the mid'70's but an awesome series covering America's first 100 years. I've read it twice. 8 books starting with "The Bastard". Jakes is one of my favorite authors. When you finish this series, try his North and South trilogy.

A great non-fiction read is Dean Jobb's "Empire of Deception". I could not put it down.

Finally, try anything by Edward Rutherfurd. I started with "Sarum". His books are long, but well worth the time.

Happy Reading!!!!

message 21: by SoulSurvivor (new)

SoulSurvivor (kimosabi2018) Just finished 'The Lost Painting ' by Jonathan Harr . This is a very good choice for lovers of art , art historians or people interested in the restoration of aged or damaged paintings . The story , more historical than novel , involves the search for a lost painting of the Italian Baroque artist Caraveggio . The work , ' The Taking of Christ'
was finished between 1600 and 1605 , and went missing in the 1920s or 30s. The quest to find it is meticulously weaved by the author so that you feel a part of the story . I really enjoyed looking up Caravaggio's works on the internet , and found some remarkable discussions of his painting via the Kahn Institute .

message 22: by Padraic (new)

Padraic Connelly (swordofireland) | 3 comments Hi there....thanks for letting me be a part of this group. My book SWORD OF IRELAND was just released yesterday and I think that some of you might enjoy it....the novel is based on actual events and characters at the time of the initial Viking invasion of Ireland in the ninth century. You can read more about it on the website https://www.swordofireland.com . I invite all of you to follow me or add me as as friend.

Thanks,
Padraic Sword of Ireland (The O'Faolain Clan Saga, #1) by Padraic Connelly

message 23: by Robin (new)

Robin Holmes Richardson (acetax) | 2 comments Padraic wrote: "Hi there....thanks for letting me be a part of this group. My book SWORD OF IRELAND was just released yesterday and I think that some of you might enjoy it....the novel is based on actual events an..."

Here's a suggestion (if you haven't read them already): Trinity by Leon Uris ; Redemption by Leon Uris