UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > SATURDAY 28TH MARCH - My Virtual Literary Festival - MyVLF.com

Comments Showing 1-50 of 99 (99 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kelly (last edited Apr 18, 2019 11:57AM) (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1037 comments Moderator approved: thank you, Rosemary.

Yesterday, after 18 months of planning and hard work, I launched an exciting new venture with two other writers who, crucially, are avid readers like me - Gwyn GB and Deborah Carr.

MYVLF (htpps://www.myvlf.com) is the world's first online virtual literary festival venue, and a friendly space for readers to connect with authors.

The inaugural online festival is 22/23 June 2019 and our first signed up speakers are international bestsellers, Peter James and Glynis Peters. We'll be announcing more over the coming days.

In MYVLF you can download the free monthly book group read, watch that author's talk at the end of the month and join in the chat session. There will be updates on book news and other reading and writing related info.

https://www.myvlf.com was born out of several questions we had: how do readers find new authors, how do you connect with them without travelling or at some cost (we live on a small island so understand the pain), and how do authors find new readers?

Pop over and have a look at https://www.myvlf.com and join our community.

I'd add a picture but it's beyond me! (Luckily, Gwyn GB and the team are the website experts!)

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11028 comments Wow, this sounds amazing, I've shared it with some friends

message 3: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Very innovative, Kelly, and a very smart website.

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1037 comments Kelly wrote: "Moderator approved: thank you, Rosemary.

Yesterday, after 18 months of planning and hard work, I launched an exciting new venture with two other writers who, crucially, are avid readers like me -..."

Thank you, Desley. Really appreciate that. The response from authors is staggering and we have more to announce soon who'll be at the June Festival.

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1037 comments Kath wrote: "Very innovative, Kelly, and a very smart website."

Thank you, Kath. We worked with some talented young designers and tech guys who have been amazing. They quickly bought into the idea and took our original concept and brought it to life.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21827 comments Certainly looks interesting, I've signed up, now all I have to do is 'do something'

message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1037 comments Jim wrote: "Certainly looks interesting, I've signed up, now all I have to do is 'do something'"

Thanks Jim, we're having a great response.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11028 comments Kelly wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Moderator approved: thank you, Rosemary.

Yesterday, after 18 months of planning and hard work, I launched an exciting new venture with two other writers who, crucially, are avid rea..."

Ooh, am looking forward to hearing what other authors will be at the festival.

message 9: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1037 comments Desley (Cat fosterer) wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Moderator approved: thank you, Rosemary.

Yesterday, after 18 months of planning and hard work, I launched an exciting new venture with two other writers who, crucially..."

Thanks Desley, we've now announced C L Taylor. We also have some one-off video interviews coming up with authors who have new books published (or about to be) - maybe they'll give us a sneak peak and do a reading.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11028 comments Excellent news

message 11: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1037 comments Desley (Cat fosterer) wrote: "Excellent news"

Oh my oh my! We've got some crackers to announce. . .

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11028 comments Can't wait

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2335 comments Great idea! congratulations

message 14: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) | 4153 comments The site is very well done - slick and expensive and elegant in feel.

I joined - it will be interesting to see how it develops.

Are you one of the authors who sill be profiled, Kelly?

message 15: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1037 comments Karen wrote: "Great idea! congratulations"

Desley (Cat fosterer) wrote: "Can't wait"

Thank you, Karen. We're overwhelmed by how the concept has really grabbed people's attention.

message 16: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1037 comments Alicia wrote: "The site is very well done - slick and expensive and elegant in feel.

Are you one of the authors who sill be profiled, Kelly?"

Thank you, Alicia. We worked with some young developers who took our concept and really made it jump into life.

I don't envisage me being profiled, but maybe at some point - if we run out of other people (which I doubt - there are so many fabulous authors around).

Hope all good with you.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11028 comments Kelly wrote: "Alicia wrote: "The site is very well done - slick and expensive and elegant in feel.

Are you one of the authors who sill be profiled, Kel..."

That's a shame.

message 18: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1037 comments Ah, thank you Desley. As well as the actual Literary Festival we also have a Watch Now series of author video interviews that will be starting soon. Maybe we'll pop one of me on there!

message 19: by Rita (new)

Rita Chapman | 389 comments Great idea - I've joined too.

G J (Gaff to my friends) Reilly | 1901 comments Sounds interesting. I'll pop by and check it out!

message 21: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1037 comments Rita wrote: "Great idea - I've joined too."

Thanks Rita, hope you enjoy being part of the MYVLF community. We are posting some Watch Now author videos over the next couple of days.

Kelly

message 22: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1037 comments G J (Gaff to my friends) wrote: "Sounds interesting. I'll pop by and check it out!"

Thanks Gaff, we are virtual reality ready - just need VR to become more widespread amongst end-users and we'll switch it on. Have a look at the video in the About section and you can see us and the team of young developers we worked with. Great guys.

message 23: by Pam (new)

Pam Baddeley | 2880 comments Joined up. Slightly surprised that it picked up a profile picture which it must have gleaned from Facebook even though I set up separate login credentials and didn't use those of another site.

message 24: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1037 comments Hi Pam, sorry about that. It is really weird. We will need to get the software guys to have a look as we deliberately set it up so you had to make a choice to add a profile pic and the default is a circle with a shadowy head and shoulders. Will look onto and get back to you.

message 25: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) | 4153 comments Ditto me, Kelly. I did not supply a picture (I thought). I have two I use, and they didn't put up the Goodreads one - they put up another.

I really prefer not to have that happen.

I didn't even think about it until Pam said what she did; then I checked, and they have the other photo. It is possible I put it in, but I don't find that a usual part of creating a login, so I might have remembered.

message 26: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1037 comments Pam wrote: "Joined up. Slightly surprised that it picked up a profile picture which it must have gleaned from Facebook even though I set up separate login credentials and didn't use those of another site."

Hi Pam,

I have run a test and only you can see that pic. I think you have to physically add a profile pic for anyone else to see it. I don't have a pic attached to my email so it hasn't picked up a picture for me. Debs does, and she can see her pic but I can't see hers in the chat area, just a greyed out circle. Does the email you used have a picture against it? If not, I will get the tech guys to see where it picked it up from. Thanks so much for the feedback.

message 27: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1037 comments Alicia wrote: "Ditto me, Kelly. I did not supply a picture (I thought). I have two I use, and they didn't put up the Goodreads one - they put up another.

I didn't even t..."

Hi Alicia, please see comment on Pam's post. Does the email you used have a pic attached to it?

My friend, Debs, can see her pic but I can't see it when she is in the chat area. I will run more tests, but I think you have to physically create a profile pic for anyone else to see it.

Thanks so much for the feedback.

message 28: by Alicia (last edited May 11, 2019 12:04AM) (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) | 4153 comments Kelly wrote: "Alicia wrote: "Ditto me, Kelly. I did not supply a picture (I thought). I have two I use, and they didn't put up the Goodreads one - they put up another.

..."

No, I don't have an email signature with a photo.

If only I can see it, fine. Can you see me? It isn't a big deal - my pictures are all over the internet and on my blog, but I do refuse to sign in with FB credentials, for example - I don't want to authorize them talking to each other.

It's probably a lost cause, but I find it intrusive when FB puts up an ad for something I was looking at elsewhere. Spooky.

message 29: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1037 comments I know! We have and Alexa, and it freaks me out a bit. I am sure it is listening in to us. (Not that it would hear anything very interesting)

We are checking with the tech guy to disable what is pulling the photo through. I have double-checked and mine def doesn't appear, but Debs picture now does in chat, which we don't want obviously. We'll change it so the avatar in chat is, for example, the first initial of the user name.

Thank you so much to you and Pam for this feedback. Really appreciate it.

Waiting at Malaga Airport for our flight home to Jersey.

message 30: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1037 comments Alicia, Pam - did you use a gmail address? If yes, I think it is pulling through the photo attached to that email account. We will get it turned off from our side, but I think Gmail automatically pushes the profile through so we will get it removed at our end. Debs' photo was an ancient one from when she first setup a gmail account.

message 31: by Pam (new)

Pam Baddeley | 2880 comments Kelly, no didn't use gmail but did use an address in use for gravatar, for commenting on other people's writing blogs so I think it has got it from there as that does use a picture.

message 32: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) | 4153 comments Kelly wrote: "Alicia, Pam - did you use a gmail address? If yes, I think it is pulling through the photo attached to that email account. We will get it turned off from our side, but I think Gmail automatically p..."

I haven't had this happen anywhere else; you might tell your IT guys some people (which includes a lot of older readers) may find this creepy rather than helpful.

I know the whole world is connected now, but I am not happy about the lack of control and privacy - possibly gmail changed how it does things and I didn't pay attention?

I guess I'll know if my photo starts popping up places when I create an account.

message 33: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1037 comments Alicia wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Alicia, Pam - did you use a gmail address? If yes, I think it is pulling through the photo attached to that email account. We will get it turned off from our side, but I think Gmail a..."

Hi Alicia, I think most people wouldn't like it. I wouldn't. That's why we asked for it to be set up where people had to make a conscious decision to add a profile pic, I suspect most people won't bother. I am so grateful you and Pam pointed this out to us, and we'll get it fixed by the techie guys.

Sorry for any bother.

message 34: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1037 comments Pam wrote: "Kelly, no didn't use gmail but did use an address in use for gravatar, for commenting on other people's writing blogs so I think it has got it from there as that does use a picture."

Thanks Pam, we'll get the tech guys to prevent the pics from appearing at our end. We deliberately asked for people to be able to add a pic if they wanted, but not for it to just show up!

Thank you so very much for bringing this to our attention, and really sorry for any bother.

message 35: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) | 4153 comments Kelly wrote: "Alicia wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Alicia, Pam - did you use a gmail address? If yes, I think it is pulling through the photo attached to that email account. We will get it turned off from our side, but ..."

Not a major bother, but I'm glad you see it the same way - it is reassuring.

I'm trying not to turn into an old curmudgeon (a losing battle).

message 36: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1037 comments You can be reassured you are not a curmudgeon - at all. None of the 3 founders of MYVLF would be happy with our profile pics just popping up all over the place - Debs freaked when I told her your pics were appearing - and then she realised hers was as well!

Thanks again for the feedback - really appreciate it. x

message 37: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) | 4153 comments Thanks for the chuckle.

message 38: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21827 comments Thinking about it Kelly I suspect that part of the problem is that the various systems (google, goodreads etc) were set up, the coding done, long before we started getting nervous about our privacy.
Whilst these companies might be starting to say the right things now, the systems they run are immensely complicated, and I suspect that because of the way time passes on and people come and go, move jobs etc, nobody really understands them.
So when a new system starts to interact with them, nobody really knows what is going to happen, or what ancient code, slumbering in the depths, is going to rise up towards the light :-)

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9068 comments That's a comforting thought Jim ;)

I signed up yesterday, still haven't had a confirmation email? Have checked all folders

message 40: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1037 comments Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) wrote: "That's a comforting thought Jim ;)

I signed up yesterday, still haven't had a confirmation email? Have checked all folders"

Hi Rosemary, have you got it now. I think we blew the systems's mind earlier today! If you haven't had it yet, perhaps it is in your spam folder, I will get it fixed asap.

message 41: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1037 comments Jim wrote: "Thinking about it Kelly I suspect that part of the problem is that the various systems (google, goodreads etc) were set up, the coding done, long before we started getting nervous about our privacy..."

Oh! sounds frightening - although not as scarey to my co-founder when an ancient photo, that she hates, re-surfaced!

I do know what you mean - time goes on and updates happen, and who really knows what lies beneath!

message 42: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1037 comments Kelly wrote: "Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) wrote: "That's a comforting thought Jim ;)

I signed up yesterday, still haven't had a confirmation email? Have checked all folders"

Hi Rosemary, have you got it..."

sorry!!! just realised you said you had checked all folders. I have reached out to the tech team.

message 43: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) | 4153 comments Startup growing pains.

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9068 comments Thanks for activating me Kelly!

message 45: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1037 comments Alicia wrote: "Startup growing pains."

Indeed! Feedback is so valuable at this point. Thanks so much. Hope you're having a good day. I'm going out for a work dinner and would rather be at home!

message 46: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1037 comments Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) wrote: "Thanks for activating me Kelly!"

Yay - you're in! Hope you have a good poke around. x

message 47: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) | 4153 comments Kelly wrote: "Alicia wrote: "Startup growing pains."

Indeed! Feedback is so valuable at this point. Thanks so much. Hope you're having a good day. I'm going out for a work dinner and would rather be at home!"

Just envious of your energy.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11028 comments Glad all is well with you Rosen, I will miss the newsletters, but you do deserve a break

message 49: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1691 comments I've joined too. Like everyone else, I think it's an excellent web site. Thank you for this opportunity for a bit more visibility and another place to get to know readers and writers.

message 50: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Clayton | 1037 comments Thank you, Anna. I am so sorry I never saw your post before this. Don't know what happened there. Thank you, we're really overwhelmed by the response.

« previous 1