Reading 1001 discussion

Atonement
This topic is about Atonement
1001 book reviews > Atonement by Ian McEwan

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Daisey | 222 comments This story is packed full of frustration and sadness, but it is also a fascinating and beautiful story. I really enjoyed the writing style and the method of telling the story from the perspective of the novelist. This method made me stop and think carefully about what I was reading as well as my thoughts on the perspective several times.

Read for TBR Takedown April 2019

Kristel (kristelh) | 3801 comments Mod
Read in 2009 as a my face to face book club group. "A really good book about a young girl's telling of what she thought was real that affected her family. She wishes to have atonement, to make things right but WWII gets in the way. It is a great story with an ending that is hard to guess. I really liked this one.

Diane Zwang | 1189 comments Mod
5/5 stars
This being only my second McEwan novel. I loved the prose, I loved the story. Look forward to more of his novels.

“But she had seen Robbie's letter, she had cast herself as her sister's protector, and she had been instructed by her cousin: what she saw must have been shaped in part by what she already knew, or believed she knew.”

“She had come looking for her sister – no doubt with exhilarated notion of protecting her, or admonishing her, and had heard a noise from behind the closed library door.”

“At this stage in her life Briony inhabited an ill-defined transitional space between the nursery and adult worlds which she crossed and recrossed unpredictably.”