Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1)
This topic is about Scythe
Scythe

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacob (last edited Apr 18, 2019 10:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jacob | 15 comments Scythe by Neal Shusterman
Reviewed by Jacob Munson
In Scythe by Neal Shusterman, humanity has advanced to the point at which not even death can stand in their way. They know all, cannot die, and have given all ruling power to the Thunderhead, a perfect AI that makes all decisions and runs the world, except for one thing: population control. This aspect of the world is handed over to an organization called Scythes, who are handpicked out of the common people to train as apprentices in the art of killing randomly, or gleaning, with compassion. The way this is kept ethical is that the scythes must adhere to a few select rules, mainly killing without bias and not taking pleasure in the ending of life (which is basically what they mean by killing with compassion). Scythe tells the story of two citizens, Roman Damisch and Citra Terranova, who are offered apprenticeship to a scythe, Michael Faraday. The catch is, only one can become a scythe, making it a competition. This combined with the fact that the “new-order” scythes, ones who stray from the more traditional scythes and choose often to not only abuse their power, but enjoy the act of killing, are on the rise and though their influence, require that whoever succeeds Faraday’s apprenticeship be required to kill the other as their first gleaning makes the stakes about as high as they can be.

I really enjoyed this book because of a few things, one of which was the way the story twisted and played with what you think is going on. It’s not linear in the sense that it’s predictable and shallow. This is shown later when Rowan meets Scythe Goddard, who is famous for enjoying killing en masse, yet he spared a fourth grader from death when gleaning a pizza place and takes her to the penthouse he commandeered. Why he did this, no one could figure out, as he had previously shown no mercy to anyone. It was later found out that this young girl, named Esme, was actually the daughter of the High Blade, or leader of the Scythedom, and Goddard was threatening to glean her to get the High Blade to either ignore his actions or take action on his enemies when it suited him. This is only one example of the twists and turns in this story and I really enjoy being unable to predict what will happen next. I strongly recommend this book to anyone who wants a futuristic utopia/dystopia story.

message 2: by Tushar (new)

Tushar | 17 comments i have heard of this book many times. and so your review helped me decide to read this. well done on review.

Jacob | 15 comments Tushar wrote: "i have heard of this book many times. and so your review helped me decide to read this. well done on review."

Thanks for the compliment! I really recommend this book, its sequel, Thunderhead, and its final chapter, The Toll, when it finally comes out. I think you will really enjoy it!

message 4: by Hector (new)

Hector (hecctorm) | 8 comments This sounds like a really interesting book. This is probably what I'm going to read next after reading your review. Great job.

Jacob | 15 comments Hector wrote: "This sounds like a really interesting book. This is probably what I'm going to read next after reading your review. Great job."

This book is a really interesting read. I strongly recommend it to everyone. It has a lot if surprises in it that you won't see coming from super far beforehand!

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin N | 10 comments This sounds really interesting! It makes you think a lot about what society would be like if we were far enough advanced to the point that common jobs today would no longer be needed.