J.D. Robb discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive - 2019 BOM Noms/Polls > May 2019 Book of the Month Nominations - Closed

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10171 comments Mod
Nominations are now being accepted for our May 2019 Book of the Month. Please review the Guidelines below prior to making your nomination.

Nominations open April 18-23
Poll open April 24-28

Please note: You may nominate any book from the Mystery/Suspense/Thriller genre or from any one of the many sub genres, with the exception of books by J.D. Robb and Nora Roberts. We explore Robb's In Death series in Buddy Reads & other discussions in this group. And we read & discuss Nora Roberts books with our sister group, Nora Roberts Groupies. We encourage you to join the discussions any time.

Monthly Book Nomination Guidelines:

1-Each member may nominate 2 books per month. Please include a link to the book that you nominate.

2-We respectfully ask that you only nominate books that you are intending to read and discuss with this group!

3-Nominated books must be from the Mystery/Suspense/Thriller genres or one of the many sub genres.

4-Nominated books must be the first book in a series unless the Robb group has previously read the preceding books.

5-If your nomination wins the poll, we would love for you to consider leading the Book of the Month discussion for that month.

6-J.D. Robb and Nora Robert books are not eligible for nomination. We invite you to join us as we explore the In Death series books in our In Death Buddy Reads and enjoy discussing the Nora Roberts titles in our sister group, Nora Roberts Groupies.

7-If an issue arises in which the winning book is disqualified, the book having received the 2nd most votes in our poll will become our Book of the Month.

message 2: by Christine (new)

message 3: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 12887 comments Mod
Long Road to Mercy by David Baldacci, Atlee Pine #1
Long Road to Mercy (Atlee Pine, #1) by David Baldacci

Description
#1 New York Times bestselling author David Baldacci introduces a remarkable new character: Atlee Pine, an FBI special agent assigned to the remote wilds of the western United States. Ever since her twin sister was abducted by a notorious serial killer at age five, Atlee has spent her life hunting down those who hurt others. And she’s the best at it. She could be one of the Bureau’s top criminal profilers, if she didn’t prefer catching criminals in the vast wilderness of the West to climbing the career ladder in the D.C. office. Her chosen mission is a lonesome one–but that suits her just fine.

Now, Atlee is called in to investigate the mutilated carcass of a mule found in the Grand Canyon–and hopefully, solve the disappearance of its rider. But this isn’t the only recent disappearance. In fact, it may be just the first clue, the key to unraveling a rash of other similar missing persons cases in the canyon. . .

message 4: by Jo Ann (last edited Apr 18, 2019 04:25PM) (new)

Jo Ann (jojog) | 334 comments Blood on the Tracks Blood on the Tracks (Sydney Rose Parnell, #1) by Barbara Nickless by Barbara Nickless, Sydney Rose Parnell #1, available on Kindle Unlimited.

A young woman is found brutally murdered, and the main suspect is the victim’s fiancé, a hideously scarred Iraq War vet known as the Burned Man. But railroad police Special Agent Sydney Rose Parnell, brought in by the Denver Major Crimes unit to help investigate, can't shake the feeling that larger forces are behind this apparent crime of passion.

In the depths of an icy winter, Parnell and her K9 partner, Clyde ― both haunted by their time in Iraq ― descend into the underground world of a savage gang of rail riders. There, they uncover a wide-reaching conspiracy and a series of shocking crimes. Crimes that threaten everything Parnell holds dear.

As the search for the truth puts her directly in the path of the killer, Parnell must struggle with a deadly question: Can she fight monsters without becoming one herself?

message 5: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (jojog) | 334 comments Perfect Remains Perfect Remains (D.I. Callanach, #1) by Helen Sarah Fields by Helen Fields, DI Callanach #1

On a remote Highland mountain, the body of Elaine Buxton is burning. All that will be left to identify the respected lawyer are her teeth and a fragment of clothing.

In the concealed back room of a house in Edinburgh, the real Elaine Buxton screams into the darkness.

Detective Inspector Luc Callanach has barely set foot in his new office when Elaine’s missing persons case is escalated to a murder investigation. Having left behind a promising career at Interpol, he’s eager to prove himself to his new team. But Edinburgh, he discovers, is a long way from Lyon, and Elaine’s killer has covered his tracks with meticulous care.

It’s not long before another successful woman is abducted from her doorstep, and Callanach finds himself in a race against the clock. Or so he believes ... The real fate of the women will prove more twisted than he could have ever imagined.

Fans of Angela Marson, Mark Billingham and M. J. Aldridge will be gripped by this chilling journey into the mind of a troubled killer.

message 6: by Seth (new)

Seth (electicoutcast) | 280 comments Ghost in the Shell (Ghost in the Shell, #1) by Masamune Shirow Ghost in the Shell by Masamune Shirow

https://smile.amazon.com/Ghost-Shell-...

Deep into the twenty-first century, the line between man and machine has been blurred as humans rely on the enhancement of mechanical implants and robots are upgraded with human tissue. In this rapidly converging landscape, cyborg superagent Major Motoko Kusanagi is charged to track down the craftiest and most dangerous terrorists and cybercriminals, including "ghost hackers" who are capable of exploiting the human/machine interface and reprogramming humans to become puppets to carry out the hackers' criminal ends.

message 7: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 670 comments Jonetta wrote: "Long Road to Mercy by David Baldacci, Atlee Pine #1
Long Road to Mercy (Atlee Pine, #1) by David Baldacci

Description
#1 New York Times bestselling author David Baldacci introduces..."

I read this one and really liked it!

message 8: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 670 comments I have never heard of any of these authors or books, otherwise, so I'm reading the descriptions for new TBR material, as if my overloaded shelves need it!

message 9: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 212 comments I nominate Open Primary by A.C. Fuller

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Agnieszka wrote: "I nominate Open Primary by A.C. Fuller"

Is this book shelved as a mystery/suspense/thriller? I'm not familiar with it and the synopsis doesn't help classify it other than "political".

message 11: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2192 comments It is a political cliffhanger.

message 12: by Sandra (new)

I just need to make sure all nominations adhere to the guidelines and #3 stipulates:

3-Nominated books must be from the Mystery/Suspense/Thriller genres or one of the many sub genres.

message 13: by Seth (new)

Seth (electicoutcast) | 280 comments Strong Enough to Die (Caitlin Strong, #1) by Jon Land Strong Enough to Die (Caitlin Strong #1)

Caitlin Strong is a fifth-generation Texas Ranger, proud to wear the badge of her father and grandfather—until a deadly shoot-out along the Mexican border causes her to question her calling.

Five years later, Caitlin is still trying to purge herself of guilt from the day that ended her Ranger career. But a shattering discovery will reopen old wounds, and Caitlin’s renewed investigation into the truth behind the bloody desert firefight uncovers a terrifying plot that reaches into every home and threatens the very core of the country.

Her only hope for success—and survival—is to team up with Cort Wesley Masters, a deadly outlaw who has every reason to want her dead. But he also holds the key to the truth she desperately seeks in the anguished brain of an amnesiac torture victim.

Caitlin’s tormented quest for redemption takes her to a dark world, ranging from Washington to Bahrain to the wastelands of Mexico, as she finds that the strength to live comes from learning how to die.

(I've been following this series for three years since its debut on GraphicAudio and I think if Eve Dallas ever had a serious contender for an ancestor, it'd be Texas Ranger Caitlin Strong.)

message 14: by Agnieszka (last edited Apr 23, 2019 11:58AM) (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 212 comments Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I was out of town with limited possibility to access GR.

Sharon wrote: "It is a political cliffhanger."
Thank you, I wasn't aware of it. I got it from the author as a political thriller and thought it would fit.

Sandra, please disregard my previous nomination. I nominate instead:
Blood Safari (Lemmer #1) by Deon Meyer Blood Safari by Deon Meyer

When the rich and famous visit South Africa, their first port of call is often Body Armor, the personal security company offering two types of protection: the big and intimidating muscle men called Gorillas or the lean and hungry former government body guards, referred to as Invisibles.

Lemmer is a freelance Invisible. The tiny and beautiful Emma le Roux, a brand consultant from Cape Town, wants to hire him. He needs the money, so he listens to her story. Lemmer’s First General Law is: Don’t get involved. But he has never failed as a body guard and he’s also grown a little too fond of Emma. He uncovers simmering racial and political tensions, greed, corruption, and a network of eco-terrorists. He follows the leads until he finds what he’s after: The people who attacked Emma. Getting to them will be extremely dangerous, and exposing them could have international political implications. If he fails, both he and Emma will end up dead. But Lemmer is sick and tired of being invisible. He goes after them, against all odds.

message 15: by Sandra (new)

Thank you, Agnieszka.

message 16: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2192 comments Another month where I'm interested in all of the books suggested. You all make it tough to vote.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.