Read Women discussion

Read Women Chat > Author List

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (kathy40229) | 2 comments Does anyone have any suggestions for reading different authors from around the world ?

message 2: by Tamara (last edited Apr 18, 2019 11:45AM) (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 585 comments Kathy wrote: "Does anyone have any suggestions for reading different authors from around the world ?"

Kathy,

I've enjoy the novels of Anita Desai (India)

I also like some of the novels of Elif Shafak (Turkey), especially The Architect's Apprentice and the The Bastard of Istanbul. Not so enthused about her Three Daughters of Eve.

And I love Distant View of a Minaret and Other Stories, a collection of short stories by Alifa Rifaat (Egypt).

I recently read a wonderful novel, Hotel Silence, by Auður Ava Ólafsdóttir from Iceland.

Baba Dunja's Last Love by Alina Bronsky (Russia) is an absolute delight.

I could go on . . . and on. But I'll spare you.
I've posted my reviews of all these books on goodreads if you want to know more about each book.

Happy reading!

message 3: by Carol (last edited Apr 22, 2019 11:26AM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1697 comments Mod
@Kathy, Elizabeth posted a link to a great GR list a couple of years ago in another subfolder here. It's a list of female authors and novels from non-English speaking countries and is a great resource.

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

If you want to give us any sort of guidance in terms of genres or reading interests, or even target countries to read about, we are glad to help offer more specific suggestions. It's difficult to offer suggestions likely to be useful to you based on such an open-ended inquiry.

message 4: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Here is another GR list of women in translation. I'm sure some of the books overlap with the list Carol included.

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9...

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (kathy40229) | 2 comments Thank you all, I've started in China and will go from there