Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Top Three Thursday > Top Three Grimdark

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4417 comments Mod
Sadly no takers on last week's topic, but this week, share with us your favourite grimdark novels and series!

message 2: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
The Complete Malazan Book of the Fallen

Beyond Redemption

An Autumn War

Best three series. For the bottom two the best book of the series. With Malazan it's very close for the best book of the series.

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments Malazan
Black Company
First Law

message 4: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments 1 - Hm, what could it be? Do I even have to mention it another time in this group? Yeah, it's Malazan once again xD

2 - Manifest Delusions

3- First Law

message 5: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4417 comments Mod
1. Malazan, starting with Gardens of the Moon. (Of course).

2. Manifest Delusions, starting with Beyond Redemption.

3. Bloodsounder's Arc, starting with Scourge of the Betrayer.

message 6: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments ASOIAF: first novel A Game of Thrones
First Law: first novel The Blade Itself
The Dagger and the Coin: first novel The Dragon's Path

Honorable mention: The Black Company

message 7: by Petrik (new)

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments -Malazan Book of the Fallen
-Manifest Delusions
-First Law

Honorable mention: Bloodsounder's Arc

message 8: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Petrik wrote: "-Malazan Book of the Fallen
-Manifest Delusions
-First Law

Honorable mention: Bloodsounder's Arc"

Hehe, we have the same faves xD

I only read the first Bloodsounder book but somehow didn't continue. I didn't love it but people said the series should be judged as a whole. Still I somehow didn't continue, ugh. Maybe I'll pick it up again one day.

message 9: by Petrik (new)

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments Bea wrote: "Petrik wrote: "-Malazan Book of the Fallen
-Manifest Delusions
-First Law

I only read the first Bloodsounder book but someh..."

I actually just checked our rating comparison and it turns out that grimdark is where our ratings align most xD

I love Bloodsounder's Arc, it's an odd series because it's more like one book separated into three so I understand why a lot of people find the first book meh. I do suggest (as always) to give the second book a try though; it's short anyway. The third book of that series is amazing.

I'm currently beta reading for Jeff Salyards and it's another great book imo. More accessible for readers too.

message 10: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Haven't read much grimdark, but I think George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire is the grimdarkest I've read? First Law is on my TBR though (and Malazan, I guess... I'll read it eventually.................)

message 11: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Petrik wrote: "Bea wrote: "Petrik wrote: "-Malazan Book of the Fallen
-Manifest Delusions
-First Law

I only read the first Bloodsounder bo..."

Yeah, I believe that Scott and Jenna also said it should be seen as one big book instead of a trilogy. If I pick it up I'd have to reread book 1 (it's short though).

Oh, cool! Have you beta-read before?

message 12: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Kathrine wrote: "Haven't read much grimdark, but I think George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire is the grimdarkest I've read? First Law is on my TBR though (and Malazan, I guess... I'll read it eventually........"

First Law is a good choice if you liked GoT :)

message 13: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Bea wrote: "First Law is a good choice if you liked GoT :)"

Noted :D

message 14: by Chris (last edited Apr 22, 2019 12:39PM) (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1610 comments Kathrine wrote: "Bea wrote: "First Law is a good choice if you liked GoT :)"

Noted :D"

We're reading The Blade Itself now, here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

/HINT

message 15: by Petrik (new)

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments Bea wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Bea wrote: "Petrik wrote: "-Malazan Book of the Fallen
-Manifest Delusions
-First Law

I only read the first ..."

Nope! Definitely the first time. And I don't plan to do a lot of it. It's a different experience from reviewing and you have to read and reread the same story quite a lot because changes and edits are made constantly.

message 16: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I hope book 8 of the first law series returns to where the trilogy was at for quality. The singles for me were mediocre at best.

message 17: by Petrik (new)

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments Scott wrote: "I hope book 8 of the first law series returns to where the trilogy was at for quality. The singles for me were mediocre at best."

I still enjoy his standalone books, but they're definitely below the standards that the first trilogy has set. I hope Age of Madness will bring that time of glory back.

message 18: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Petrik wrote: "Scott wrote: "I hope book 8 of the first law series returns to where the trilogy was at for quality. The singles for me were mediocre at best."

I still enjoy his standalone books, but they're defi..."

More Glotka!!!!!

message 19: by Shae (new)

Shae | 372 comments Haven't read a great deal of Grimdark, but keen to read more :-)

1. The First Law Trilogy Boxed Set: The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged, Last Argument of Kings - Am just about to finish Last Argument of Kings, have absolutely loved this trilogy!
2. Prince of Fools - Grim but also quite humorous :-)
3. The Emperor's Blades - I don't mind a bit of gritty military fantasy.

message 20: by Navi (new)

Navi (nvsahota) | 237 comments Sorry for the super late comment!

I can only think of one recommendation:

Jade City - one of my favourite reads of 2018!

Jade City (The Green Bone Saga, #1) by Fonda Lee

message 21: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I have to echo those who gave Bloodsounders an honorable mention. If you treat that as one long book by the end it's amazing.

message 22: by Petrik (last edited Jul 19, 2019 10:48PM) (new)

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments Scott wrote: "I have to echo those who gave Bloodsounders an honorable mention. If you treat that as one long book by the end it's amazing."

Agreed. Btw, speaking of grimdark, I'm reading an ARC of Michael Fletcher's newest book (City of Sacrifice, not at GR yet) at the moment. You're in for one heck of a ride, man...

message 23: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Petrik wrote: "Scott wrote: "I have to echo those who gave Bloodsounders an honorable mention. If you treat that as one long book by the end it's amazing."

Agreed. Btw, speaking of grimdark, I'm reading an ARC o..."

Oh! Is it set in the Manifest Delusions world?

message 24: by Petrik (new)

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments Bea wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Scott wrote: "I have to echo those who gave Bloodsounders an honorable mention. If you treat that as one long book by the end it's amazing."

Agreed. Btw, speaking of grimdark, I'm r..."

Nope! Completely new world and series! I should be done with it tomorrow. It's pretty great, as usual!

message 25: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Petrik wrote: "Agreed. Btw, speaking of grimdark, I'm reading an ARC of Michael Fletcher's newest book (City of Sacrifice, not at GR yet) at the moment. You're in for one heck of a ride, man......"

Looking forward to it. I think Fletch should hook me up. I've been one of the earliest advocates for him. :)

message 26: by Petrik (new)

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments Scott wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Agreed. Btw, speaking of grimdark, I'm reading an ARC of Michael Fletcher's newest book (City of Sacrifice, not at GR yet) at the moment. You're in for one heck of a ride, man......"..."

Haha I'll ask him about it! No promises though because I believe that he's giving an ARC to people who has a blog only. Which to me is weird because even though I have a blog, I still think that it's less effective than Goodreads in reaching a wider audience but I won't get into that otherwise this will be a long ramble xD

message 27: by Petrik (new)

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments I just finished the book, Scott. Awesome as always, I'll say it's up there with Ghosts of Tomorrow in terms of quality.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Comment here if you want an ARC, just don't post a full review until there's a pre-order link and official cover reveal! :)

message 28: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Petrik wrote: "I just finished the book, Scott. Awesome as always, I'll say it's up there with Ghosts of Tomorrow in terms of quality.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show......"

Thanks for that.

message 29: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1610 comments Yes, thanks for that Petrik.

message 30: by Petrik (new)

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments You're welcome! :)