What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Adult fiction - a man meets a spiritual master during a high society party, possibly held in his honour.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Eighthoursbehindgmail com | 4 comments This is a series of books - 2 or 3. I read it over 20 years ago and it seemed quite old at the time. I vaguely recall that it was set in an American city. The guru was possibly English and travelling around america, the protagonist meets him at a party and begin a spiritual mentorship with him. Set at least 60 years ago. I would love to teach this down for a reread and to locate the rest of the series.
Thank you!!

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Eighthoursbehindgmail ~~
You can "bump" your thread every month or so. This pushes your thread back to the top of the folder instead of languishing here on page 213 from seven months ago where fewer eyes will see it. Get back in the game! Bump!
You can do this by typing a new comment at the end of the thread, or even by typing the word "bump."
Good luck!

Eighthoursbehindgmail com | 4 comments thank you!!

message 4: by Kris (last edited Nov 25, 2019 01:35PM) (new)

Kris | 34447 comments Mod
Eighthoursbehindgmail, can you describe the guru - e.g., his age, what he believes and encourages people to do, does he promote a specific religion?

What about the protagonist - e.g., his age, job/skills/interests, family/friends, marital status, difficulties he was facing?

Eighthoursbehindgmail com | 4 comments Hello Kris!
Lords, it was so long ago that I read this.
The guru was either American or English, I believe it would have been an elderly Buddhist type of religion or possibly Theosophy.

I think that the protagonist was a middle-aged man going through a spiritual crisis.

The book had almost a Victorian era feel to it. I remember a series of rather grand houses parties held in honour of the Guru in which he would speak at.