What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fairy Tale about a man who wishes for a wife and a nearby swan/goose is turned into a woman for him to marry

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kara (last edited Apr 17, 2019 07:39PM) (new)

Kara Fuerholzer | 11 comments Okay, so there was a guy and he got to make wishes. One of his wishes was for a wife and the wish granter turned a swan or a goose into a woman. Over time the woman became depressed because she wanted to be a bird again and fly with her sisters. It’s possible she jumped out a window in the end. I feel like the other wishes he made backfired too.

It’s possible that this might be the Swan Maiden and I’m just confusing it with another fairy tale but I really feel like it was it’s own thing. It might not have been an original one (like Brothers Grimm) but one that was used in a book (probably YA, cause that’s what I read). Does this sound familiar to anyone?

message 2: by Leah (new)

Leah (gnowhael) | 45 comments Not exactly YA, but maybe The Crane Wife? There are other variations of this tale as well.

message 3: by Kara (new)

Kara Fuerholzer | 11 comments Unfortunately no, sound good though! The more I think about it, the more I think that the fairy tale was told to a character in a book and not part of the main story line

message 4: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 2 comments It sounds like your describing Swan Lake, except Swan Lake is about a girl that gets turned into a swan and not the other way around. Hmm...

message 5: by Kara (new)

Kara Fuerholzer | 11 comments hahah yeah, I'm a ballerina so I love swan lake! They are definitely similar but I swear she wasn't ever a human before.

message 6: by Meghan Rose (new)

Meghan Rose | 23 comments was this a european fairy tale? or could it have been native american?

message 7: by Kara (new)

Kara Fuerholzer | 11 comments Most likely European

message 8: by Rayah (new)

Rayah Harbridge | 9 comments Is it maybe Summer and Bird? This book focuses more on the daughters (Summer and Bird) of a man and this swan wife but the plot details of the man and wife fit.

message 9: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5206 comments Summer and Bird for the link.

message 10: by Ashlan (new)

Ashlan (captured_bookish) | 15 comments I think you are thinking of “the third wish” by Joan Aiken? Here is a link...

https://www.btboces.org/Downloads/4_T...

message 11: by Kara (new)

Kara Fuerholzer | 11 comments The Third Wish seems to fit perfectly but I don't recall ever reading that version. Was it based on another tale or is it it's own thing?

message 12: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5206 comments What a beautiful story!

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Kara ~~
You can "bump" your thread every month or so. This pushes your thread back to the top of the folder instead of languishing here on page 213 from seven months ago where fewer eyes will see it. Get back in the game! Bump!
You can do this by typing a new comment at the end of the thread, or even by typing the word "bump."
Good luck!