What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Changeling child becomes a fairy knight

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gregory (new)

Gregory (ggrihn) | 1 comments This is a book-length fairy tale I found in our public library in the mid-1960’s. it was an old-looking book then, and was not specifically a children’s book, more in the style of Lord Dunsany or William Morris. The book concerns a human boy who is stolen by the fairies when a baby. The child becomes a favorite of the fairy king’s daughter, grows to adulthood in fairyland, and becomes a fairy knight.
I recall two scenes in particular. In one, the fairy princess has beseeched her father to take particular care of the changeling child. The fairy king commands the land to treat him well, in a spell beginning “Grass, be soft on his unused feet,” or words to that effect.
In the second, the boy has grown up. A fairy knight has to conjure/summon a horse from a mystic gulf by memorizing and then chanting the summoning. He then turns and walks out of the cave, not looking back until the horse he has called follows him out. How well he performs the summoning determines how strong and beautiful the horse will be.

The fairies might have been "elves". This is not "The King of Elfland's Daughter," I know that one. Thank you!

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Gregory ~~
You can "bump" your thread every month or so. This pushes your thread back to the top of the folder instead of languishing here on page 213 from seven months ago where fewer eyes will see it. Get back in the game! Bump!
You can do this by typing a new comment at the end of the thread, or even by typing the word "bump."
Good luck!