Play Book Tag discussion

April 2019: History > The Diary of a Young Girl -- Anne Frank -- 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 556 comments Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank-- 4 stars
With this month's tag being history, I knew it was time to read this classic that I should have read 50 years ago! Well, better late than never and I am glad that I finally decided to get to it.

This book was not what I expected. I expected it to be much more about the daily trials and tribulations of these 8 people hiding from the Nazis for 2 years. I did not expect it to be a look into Ann's feelings about being human and being forced to grow up essentially in captivity. Despite the deprivation, the fear, and the deep dark cloud that covered Europe, she was still able to see God's work, in the natural world and the goodness within most people. And she saw a future, a future that everyone knows she was denied when you open the book to page 1.

Her eloquence and the subjects about which she chose to write are incredible for a Jewish girl of 14, when the chance of survival was so slim. I believe her diary helped her survive, and had she not put pen to paper so consistently for those 2 years, she would have lost her way and given up hope after a few months in the annex.

This book is important, because of its place in history during WWII. The Frank and van Daan families had far greater resources than most of Amsterdam's Jews: money and people who were willing to help and protect them every day. The fact that they lived in hiding for as long as they did (2 years) was remarkable. Most of the Netherland's Jews were not that lucky. Roughly 75% of 150,000 Dutch Jews were killed. Although they never left the building, they knew what was happening and this dichotomy was not lost on them; and certainly not on Anne, who praised God often for being alive.

Wake up and smell the roses.
Carpe diem.
Live every day like it might be your last.
Pay it forward.

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7460 comments Very nice review of I book I read 2 or 3 times when I was young. It always made me stop, as you say, and smell the roses-and be thankful about who I was and where and when I lived.