2019 SQHS Your Literate Life discussion

This topic is about 1984
1984 by George Orwell

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anthony (new) - added it

Anthony | 6 comments 1984 By George Orwell
Reviewed by Anthony Hobkirk

Taking place in the late 1900’s in a European culture shaken by absolute government control, various groups are fighting in an underground network of ideas for absolute control. Such groups are resisting the seemingly utopian society to combat the authoritarian regime at hand. 1984 takes place in Oceana, where the government controls every aspect of every single person’s life. They control everything from foreign wars, to love, and propaganda that is constantly pumped into their society. One way they get their message across is by blasting propaganda through every television in the country except certain groups. The totalitarian regime has one sworn enemy, Emmanuel Goldstein, leader of a radical resistance group, the Brotherhood. This resistance group opposes all of the controlling parties’ policies and seeks to destroy them completely. The government of Oceania is trying to find him and kill him once and for all. The government also kills off dissidents of the state to try and keep morale and support high. Proponents of the state are given special privileges in an aristocratic fashion where more money gets you more freedoms. The book follows a boy and many others through their lives as they battle the seemingly undefeatable government entity that rules them. Their lives are combatted by government entities and even other citizens, who are called proles in the text which refers to proletariat, the working-class entity throughout industrial societies. This book gives a look into an authoritarian society imagined by Orwell himself.

In my opinion, I thought this book was rather boring. To me it was a very slow read and if you forgot to read one line or got lost on a different page, you were completely bewildered by the story. One minute I was reading about their plans for overthrowing the government, and the next moment I was reading a love story between two characters in the book. It had many qualities that make a great book, one of them was that it had immense detail, it went in depth about almost literally everything. Another aspect of the book that made it great was the verbage used throughout it. Orwell used complicated vocabulary and writes eloquently to portray the story of this novel. He uses many characters to bring in different aspects to the book and change the main characters point of view throughout it. Some things I wasn’t fond of throughout this book, however, was how boring it was at moments in the text. I would be reading through it searching for something interesting to keep me reading. I picked up the book thinking it was going to be one of the best books I had ever read because I was really looking forward to it but in the end, it was actually quite the opposite. There are many more books that would top it on my list just for sheer interest peaking text. Although Orwell wrote this text to be very smooth and vocabulary rich, it doesn’t distract from the fact that this book was boring. Overall, I’m happy I could read it though as it gave me satisfaction of finally being able to cross it off my list after seeing it be called one of the most important books in history that everyone needs to read.

message 2: by Jacob (last edited Apr 18, 2019 10:30AM) (new)

Jacob | 9 comments I read this in eighth grade. I agree that it can get kind of slow and I thought it was kind of weird at times, especially near the ending. It seemed to get really convoluted and off putting. In the end I thought it was fine and that is conveyed Orwell's fears of the future pretty well, but I may have to read it again now that I'm older and can understand it better.

message 3: by Adrianna (new)

Adrianna | 6 comments i had to read this book last year, and i judged it to soon i read it all through it was great i loved the movie and book. i liked how u explained it was boring because i can agree but was a good read.

Tessa Belsher | 4 comments I've also read 1984, and found that it's one of those books I had to read a couple times to be able to enjoy/understand it. I agree that it can be slow at times, but its necessary for the plot. Was this your first time reading it? If so, would you consider reading it again?

message 5: by Anthony (new) - added it

Anthony | 6 comments Tessa wrote: "I've also read 1984, and found that it's one of those books I had to read a couple times to be able to enjoy/understand it. I agree that it can be slow at times, but its necessary for the plot. Was..."

I think its definitely a book you need to read atleast twice to get something out of. I think i will read it again a little farther down the road to try and understand it further as it wasn't very easy to get anything from the first time.

message 6: by Anthony (new) - added it

Anthony | 6 comments Adrianna wrote: "i had to read this book last year, and i judged it to soon i read it all through it was great i loved the movie and book. i liked how u explained it was boring because i can agree but was a good read."

I havent seen the movie but ive been told it is good. I didnt want to watch it before I read the book as i thought it was going to ruin the book for me.

message 7: by Will (new)

Will | 7 comments I haven't watched the movie or read the book but after reading your opinion on the book, sadly i'm not to interested in reading it. I'm not too big of a reader and if a book is really slow i lose interest really easily.