Play Book Tag discussion

Homegoing
This topic is about Homegoing
April 2019: History > Homegoing 4 stars-Wishing it could have been 5(Trim The TBR)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (last edited Apr 17, 2019 01:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7102 comments Homegoing 4 stars

From the very start this book had me reeled in. Gyasi tells a tale that spans generations, starting with sisters born on the Gold Cost of Africa, now known as Ghana. The sister's,though having the same mother, never know each other. Effi grows up to be married off to one of the British Slave Traders and Esi becomes a slave and ends up in the American South.

The book is broken down into sections, where the story is told, alternating families, by the next generation. For a book that is barely 300 hundred pages long, it packs a lot of history, covering tribal warfare, slave traders, the American south and the great migration after the Civil War.

This was a 5 star read for me, until the very last*Heavy Sigh*-Did it deserve a cut of one full star because of (view spoiler)yep! Other's may not think so, but I spent all afternoon mulling it over-4 stars it is

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8145 comments A whole afternoon! So I have to start this book ASAP, because my 10th grader, the illiterate one, need to read it for English class. So I will actually be in three books at one time. I’ll practice I hate although some of you can tolerate it for better than I. I really don’t like to immerse myself in more than one book at a time, and less I’m reading like a textbook in my field or something. But I’m now critically involved in the Huntress in even under 10%. But tomorrow, I start cooking for Passover, where the audio for Daisy Jones and the six figures in. But at least that should be done by the weekend, and I will be at least halfway through the huntress. Because it’s next Monday that I need to start Homegoing. I really hope it’s good. It’s not even on my TV on anymore. Can at least count for history? You tell me.

Joy D | 3041 comments Nice review, Joanne! I thought the author did a great job of packing a lot of substantive material into a relatively short number of pages.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7102 comments Amy wrote: "A whole afternoon! So I have to start this book ASAP, because my 10th grader, the illiterate one, need to read it for English class. So I will actually be in three books at one time. I’ll practice ..."

Yes it counts for history-226 tags-It really is a good book, it was just that one part that ruined it for me

Susie | 4488 comments I felt as though the first half was a five, and then the second half was a three, so I gave it a four. I agree that the time span was impressive considering the brevity of the work.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5527 comments It was a 4-star read for me as well.

And I agree, it would definitely qualify as history, though it is fiction.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7102 comments Amy wrote: "A whole afternoon! So I have to start this book ASAP, because my 10th grader, the illiterate one, need to read it for English class. So I will actually be in three books at one time. I’ll practice ..."

Amy, LOL, I always know when you are using the voice app on your phone😂 and not typing.

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8145 comments I rarely type... Although I am typing now... Listening to Daisy Jones, and attempting to make Tangy Lemon Bars for the second time.