2020 SQHS Your Literate Life - BOOK REVIEWS ONLY discussion

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kobe (new)

Kobe Hawkins | 13 comments The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
Reviewed by Kobe Hawkins

A boy named Todd resides in a town called Prentisstown, which is on the New World. It’s a world where men’s and animals’ thoughts are projected to everyone around them. This was discovered upon arrival to the New World and everyone in Prentisstown could hear the thoughts of their neighbors at all times. In the town, there are only men and no women, as the women were apparently killed by disease. The boy, Todd, is on the cusp of being labelled a “man” at only 12 years old, being the youngest in his town. All is well in the town until one day as he walks through the swamp next to town with his dog Manchee (who he can communicate with through thought) he discovers a silence somewhere in the swamp. It disappears, and he finds a man in the swamp named Aaron, who was a preacher at the church on town. He has a bad encounter with Aaron and goes back home to his foster parents Ben and Cillian and tells them what he encountered in the swamp. They say that he needs to leave the town immediately and that everything will make sense soon. So, Todd and Manchee set off into the swamp as Ben and Cillian hold off Mayor Prentiss and his son Davy. While in the swamp, he spots Aaron again, but this time he is chasing him, and he manages to slip away from Aaron. He then finds out that the strange silence was a girl named Viola, whose ship crash landed in the swamp killing her parents. The two of them then set off traveling throughout the new world in search of safety from the people of Prentisstown. Their destination was Haven, the place where the ships landed originally 20 years prior and was the place rumored to have the cure for the noise. Throughout the book we see the challenges they face on their way to Haven and we se the growth that the characters endure.

I think this book is a very entertaining and fun read, and it always kind of has you on the edge of your seat wondering what will happen next. I think the characters are pretty good, except I kind of had trouble really liking the main character at times because of how stubborn and clueless he was. Viola was probably my favorite character in the book with a few mentions along the way like Wilf, a simple-minded man who helps the MC’s on their way to Haven. I think that the idea of hearing everyone’s thoughts would be very nerve-wracking, and I don’t know how someone could get used to that, especially with all the men and their thoughts. Overall, I think this is a good read if you’re into new world or futuristic type of books as this book has that.

message 2: by Oleh (new)

Oleh | 19 comments It looks like very interesting story.
You said that "....on the edge of your seat wondering what will happen next", in such moments while you were reading, have you ever got disappointed according to what direction the story goes?

message 3: by Tahlia (new)

Tahlia | 18 comments It seems fun and engaging. Is it comedic at all? Is there a lot of action? Just wondering if there are any sequels too. It seems like a read worth the time.

message 4: by Yogesh (new)

Yogesh | 15 comments This book sounds really cool because people In this book knows how other feels about them. I wonder if they had any medication for to save the women's.

message 5: by Kobe (new)

Kobe Hawkins | 13 comments Yogesh wrote: "This book sounds really cool because people In this book knows how other feels about them. I wonder if they had any medication for to save the women's."

The women were immune to the noise so their thoughts weren't apparent and in the book it seems a bit chaotic to have their thoughts everywhere.

message 6: by Kobe (new)

Kobe Hawkins | 13 comments Tahlia wrote: "It seems fun and engaging. Is it comedic at all? Is there a lot of action? Just wondering if there are any sequels too. It seems like a read worth the time."

It is pretty much mostly action and it always has something going on so you're always entertained.

message 7: by JADED (new)

JADED | 4 comments oh yeah I remember your boyfriend was talking about this and it seemed tight

message 8: by Will (new)

Will | 10 comments This seems like a interesting book, i enjoy reading futuristic or new world books. It makes you really think about how much life can change

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin N | 10 comments Sounds really cool but also scary at the same time. I couldn't imagine today's world if we were in the same circumstances.