2020 SQHS Your Literate Life - BOOK REVIEWS ONLY discussion

Feed by M.T. Anderson

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Finn (new)

Finn | 7 comments In Feed, A novel by M.T. Anderson, we learn of a technology called the “Feed” which is an implant into the brain which overlays things like directions, advertisements, a search engine and such over top of reality for the user. The Feed comes at a price however, as you are unable to turn it off, leaving your brain vulnerable to constant stimulation and never letting the user have a moment of silence. During the story we meet Titus, an upper class teenage boy living in a futuristic society where almost everyone, including him, is implanted with the feed. The story starts with Titus and his friends taking a vacation to the moon, where they go to a low-gravity bar, which unfortunately results with them in the hospital after a terrorist attack. At the hospital Titus and his friends lose access to their feeds. The rest of the story is spent with Titus recovering and reintegrating into a society that he begins to question because of losing his feed.

I think this book, while interesting, could be alienating to some people due to a language barrier. As this story takes place in a futuristic society it only makes sense that the younger generation uses different slang than we do. I think M.T. Anderson’s choice to use such unfamiliar language is a fantastic world-building tool that characterizes Titus and his friends as something relatable to the target young adult audience while simultaneously making me feel old and out of touch, which I probably would be in the context of the story. Overall, I like this book as it really sets its tone well and tells a very pessimistic but realistic story about the development and usage of technology in a modern society. While it may not be for everyone and can definitely be tough to get into, I would say it’s a worthwhile read if you can.

message 2: by Oleh (new)

Oleh | 19 comments It looks like very interesting science-fiction story with some action themes.
I'm interested about that weird slang that you have described in your second paragraph.
Can you, please, show one example where Titus or another character from this story doesn't speak the way we do?

message 3: by Trevor (new)

Trevor | 11 comments I read this book a few years ago and I remember how all the strange words made it hard to fully understand.

message 4: by Dreysen (new)

Dreysen Chritton | 12 comments the way you say it has a weird slang reminds me of the slang in the maze runner. I've been looking at this book for a while but just haven't gotten around to reading it.

message 5: by Finn (new)

Finn | 7 comments Trevor wrote: "I read this book a few years ago and I remember how all the strange words made it hard to fully understand."

Yeah there definitely is a bit of a learning curve but once you get it then its pretty enjoyable

message 6: by Finn (new)

Finn | 7 comments Dreysen wrote: "the way you say it has a weird slang reminds me of the slang in the maze runner. I've been looking at this book for a while but just haven't gotten around to reading it."

i suppose they both have that issue, but i believe that Maze Runner handles it quite naturally if i'm remembering correctly

message 7: by Kobe (new)

Kobe Hawkins | 13 comments This book sounds like it could make a good movie adaptation as well as something that could happen in the future. Do you think this book could make a good movie?