Laurie R. King Virtual Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Housekeeping > Bouchercon 50 meets Beekeeper 25

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (laurierking) | 166 comments Mod
2019 is the 25th anniversary of the book responsible for bringing us all together here. That’s right, The Beekeeper’s Apprentice hits a quarter century this year. So we want to host a celebration of some kind at Bouchercon in Dallas. We’re talking to the planners about a panel, maybe with Charles Todd, who were also first published in 1994. BUT we also want to do something festive!
What do you think? Who among us is going? And what kind of party should we put on? (This would be separate from the dinner we usually have—more intended for the attendees than the “family”.)
An afternoon tea party? Drinks in the bar? Costumes? (I know Meredith will vote for that!)
Here’s the BCon page, in case you’re tempted...
https://www.bouchercon2019.com/
Laurie

message 2: by Dina (new)

Dina | 79 comments I will be going. And ready to celebrate but no costumes, please! At least not for me.

message 3: by John (new)

John (jtb1951) | 549 comments Mod
I will be there. A tea party sounds like an appropriately civil way to celebrate 25 years of Mary Russell!

message 4: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Hirshman | 2 comments How convenient that I have just moved to the DFW area!

message 5: by Erin (last edited Apr 17, 2019 05:38PM) (new)

Erin (tangential1) | 1638 comments Mod
Drinks at the bar are always fun, but on the loud side. Tea would probably be more conducive to chatting about our love of Russell.

A cocktail party would be fun, maybe? Except I rather recall that Russell is not a fan of cocktails...

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary (storytellermary) | 260 comments Mead would be appropriate . . . <3

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura Stratton | 240 comments How Exciting. I wish I lived in Dallas. A tea party sounds like fun - Just don't let Mary cook!

message 8: by KarenB (new)

KarenB | 352 comments I'll be there! And am up for anything, although I am costume-impaired. As Erin said, drinks at the bar do tend to be quite noisy so tea may be a better option.

Twenty-five years! I started reading your books when I was pregnant with my daughter and now she is a college graduate and gainfully employed.

message 9: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 132 comments Congratulations to Laurie (and Mary) on their 25th! Celebrating with Charles Todd also sounds like a great idea.

Alas, I am nowhere near Dallas, but I wish you all well.

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie (k_pratt) | 13 comments I'll be there! It's my first Bouchercon.

I love that it will coincide with Russell's 25th anniversary. To throw in my two cents, I think tea sounds like a very good fit.

message 11: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 92 comments Hey everyone, we managed to grab one of the slots to host the BCon Hospitality Suite!!! And, it’s first thing during the Con, Thursday morning! So Bouchercon will start off with Mary Russell buying everyone a cup of tea—or that curmudgeonly husband of hers buying folks a cup of coffee—and getting everyone charged up for a great conference.

So plan on getting to Dallas Wednesday night—or at least first thing on Thursday, to raise your cup and down your scone with Russell & Holmes.

More to come later, of course, and I imagine we’ll have some kind of a dinner too, but I wanted to share this with you so you can Save The Date. Whee!

Laurie

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 399 comments Laurie, that's great news about the BCon Hospitality Suite! Tea sounds perfect for the occasion, but I might have to stick with my have-to-have-first-thing-in-the-morning coffee first. The 25th anniversary of Russell & Holmes is something I'm looking forward to celebrating, as The Beekeeper's Apprentice is one of my best ever reading experiences.

I say we nominate Meredith to be the greeter in period costume. I think she'd love it. Right, Meredith?

message 13: by Erin (new)

Kathy wrote: "I say we nominate Meredith to be the greeter in period costume. I think she'd love it. Right, Meredith?"

I'm sure she'd love the opportunity to get dressed up, but she's not really a morning person, LOL.

message 14: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 92 comments Well, we have the hospitality suite til noon, so...

message 15: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 92 comments The hospitality suite is on, for Thursday morning--yay!

Now we need to get an idea of our numbers for a dinner. We're looking at the Centennial Cafe, in the Hyatt, either Thursday or Friday night--and yes, there are things every night during BCon, but if we meet up unfashionably early, we can leave while things are still on.

So, though we're not taking names yet, I need an idea of how many, so we can reserve a room with the restaurant. Are you coming to BCon? How many seats would you like for the Friends of Laurie dinner?

Their menu is here: https://www.hyatt.com/content/dam/hot... )

message 16: by Dina (new)

Dina | 79 comments I plan to be there.

message 17: by Erin (last edited Jul 02, 2019 01:00PM) (new)

I built a quick google form to help us get a better head count. Pop in here and let us know if you are interested in coming and how many seats you'll need (ie. are you bringing friends?) and any other requirements you might have (ex. wheelchair accessibility).

https://forms.gle/pNARYtgComW3LYU97

ETA: feel free to forward the link to anyone you know who's going to be in Dallas but may not visit our Goodreads group page very often!

ETA2: The original form was a bit too anonymous and hard to tell who had replied so I changed it to an RSVP form.

message 18: by KarenB (new)

KarenB | 352 comments Thanks for doing that, Erin!

message 19: by Erin (last edited Jul 02, 2019 12:59PM) (new)

Hey folks! We're talking to restaurants about menus for our Dallas FOL dinner. Do we have anyone with food restrictions that need to be considered? Any vegans in the group? Chocolate allergies?

Thanks!

ETA: I've changed the headcount poll to an RSVP sheet to better track who responded and if they have any special info we should plan for. Please fill out the form if you're thinking of coming!

https://forms.gle/pNARYtgComW3LYU97

message 20: by Erin (new)

Oh! And I'm putting together a quick spreadsheet of group contact info and whereabouts for Bouchercon weekend. Shoot me a PM with your email address if you'd like to be added. For privacy, I don't want to make it totally public access, so the Google doc will be invite only.

message 21: by Marjorie (last edited Jul 28, 2019 01:41PM) (new)

Marjorie (laideemarjorie) | 38 comments Howdy y'all. I will be in Dallas and I'm very excited as I haven't been to Bouchercon since New Orleans. I hope to see all the FOLs and celebrate 25 years of Mary Russell. Thanks! --Marjorie from Connecticut

message 22: by Merrily (new)

Merrily | 1791 comments Mod
Marjorie wrote: "Howdy y'all. I will be in Dallas and I'm very excited as I haven't been to Bouchercon since New Orleans. I hope to see all the FOLs and celebrate 25 years of Mary Russell. Thanks! --Marjorie from C..."

We are all looking forward to seeing you, Marjorie!

message 23: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (laideemarjorie) | 38 comments Hi again! So, is the dinner definitely on Thursday? Or is Friday still possible? And are we volunteering for the Hospitality Suite? And are we all doing a quick meet up on Thursday morning to say hello? Per the B'con counter it's only 82 days away! I'm happy that I decided to attend. It's been way too long. --Marjorie

message 24: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (laideemarjorie) | 38 comments So does the fact that Laurie is doing both panels on Thursday morning (!) affect the Hospitality Room plans? Just wondering. Thanks. --Marjorie

message 25: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 92 comments Well, it means I won’t be there much... though I’m hoping a few Friends of Laurie will hang out over the coffeepot.
(I did point it out to the planners but it was one too many complication for them.)
L.

message 26: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (laideemarjorie) | 38 comments Well, I can certainly be there from opening time until 9:30, but after that I want to be at your panels! I am sure that all (most) of us feel that way. I'm so sorry that they couldn't grant your scheduling request! It will work out one way or another. --Marjorie

message 27: by Erin (new)

Ah! The panel schedule is out! I almost enjoy reading about the panels and deciding on which ones I will attend more than actually attending them, LOL.

I see SO many new names on the panels this year. What's catching everyone's attention? Other than the panels Laurie is on, of course. :-D

message 28: by KarenB (new)

KarenB | 352 comments Deborah Crombie also seems to be double booked - Thursday afternoon she is both being interviewed and on a panel.

I would think the Friends of Laurie could probably tag team the panels and the Hospitality Room. We're all reasonable people. Right??

message 29: by Marjorie (last edited Sep 24, 2019 07:20AM) (new)

Marjorie (laideemarjorie) | 38 comments Deborah Crombie has been in touch with the organizers about her inability to clone herself. LOL. Martin Edwards is also on a panel while moderating another one at the same time. Doing the panel schedule at B'con is a very hard and a mostly thankless job and we were lucky to have Judy Bobalik and Jon Jordan do it so often. They have "retired" and others are doing it this year.

Erin, I agree that going over the panels and choosing which ones to attend (damn, why are Lawrence Block and Dana Cameron on different panels at the same time!) is fun but can be daunting. I am very sorry that the Sherlock Holmes panel is on Sunday after I will have left. But I've been going long enough to know you can't do it all. See you at the bar? --Marjorie

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura Stratton | 240 comments ☹️. I so wish I could come.... I very much wish to meet Miss Russell in person and would be happy to help staff the hospitality suite. I can't wait to hear all about it.

message 31: by Laurie (last edited Sep 26, 2019 09:21AM) (new)

Laurie | 92 comments Hello all! We’ve put up an Eventbrite page for the Thursday night dinner in Dallas, since having several signup lists was getting a bit like juggling cats.

If you’re going to be in Dallas on Halloween, and if you’d like to join the Friends of Laurie (one hopes we’re all friends...) in the Bouchercon hotel, here’s your chance:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/friends-...

This is in addition to the hospitality suite all Thursday morning. Do stop in for some coffee—although to my irritation they gave me not one but two panels that same time. Which means I’ll be dependent on flyers, banners, and people who like me but are tired of listening to me talk, who are willing to hang around the hospitality table and welcome people in my name....

See you in Dallas!
Laurie

message 32: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (laideemarjorie) | 38 comments Laurie (and everyone), it looks like you don't have the first panel on Thursday morning anymore, just the 11:00 am London as setting one. Good news for the Hospitality Room! --Marjorie

message 33: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 92 comments They cancelled the audio book panel? Weird.

message 34: by Marjorie (last edited Oct 05, 2019 08:21AM) (new)

Marjorie (laideemarjorie) | 38 comments Laurie, it looks like they moved it to Friday at 2:30. Here's the current (hopefully correct) list of your panels from the on-line chart:

Laurie R. King London as a Historical Setting Thursday, October 31, 19 11:00 AM 12:00 PM Reunion G-H

Laurie R. King Love and Murder: Writing Romantic Suspense Saturday, November 2, 19 9:30 AM 10:30 AM Landmark D

Laurie R. King The Ghost Town Mortuary Gregory Hood Play by Anthony Boucher Friday, November 1, 2019 11:00 AM 12:00 PM Landmark D

Laurie R. King Unlocking the Mystery of Audiobooks Friday, November 1, 19 2:30 PM 3:30 PM Landmark D

So I'm glad that gives you more time in the Hospitality Room! Now, what do the rest of us need to do to help? --Marjorie

message 35: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 92 comments Just show up, Marjorie! And let Russell & Holmes buy you a cuppa.
L.

message 36: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (laideemarjorie) | 38 comments Okay, thanks. I thought you might need our help. Shout if anything changes. --Marjorie

message 37: by Dina (new)

Dina | 79 comments Looking forward to seeing people at Bouchercon. But fair warning - I have terrible facial recognition ability so please forgive me when I fail to recognize you.
It isn't being unfriendly but merely not competent in that area.

message 38: by Katie (new)

Katie (k_pratt) | 13 comments Super excited about Bouchercon and meeting folks. Looking forward to chatting a bit in the hospitality room tomorrow morning!

Katie

message 39: by Lenore (new)

Lenore | 1078 comments Is anyone going to post a review or recap or whatever of the LRK panels and the hospitality room, for those of us who could not be there?

message 40: by Katie (new)

Katie (k_pratt) | 13 comments I sat in on a couple of Laurie's panels and really enjoyed them. The favorite one might have been "Love and Murder: Writing Romantic Suspense". It was fun hearing her talk about the racy intimacies in her books (between Sherlock and Russell) that were nearly too hot to print - his brushing of Russell's hair, his running a finger down her spine, etc. This in contrast to the writings of Sandra Brown and a few others. It was a lot of fun.

I also thought it was great how many authors credited the Russell stories with inspiring them to write and/or even push the envelope on their own Holmes stories.

Overall, I thought it was a great conference and would definitely encourage folks to go. I learned a lot and had a good time. Plus I got to meet Laurie, so I'm marking it as a huge win!

message 41: by Dina (new)

Dina | 79 comments Sorry I didn't make it to the dinner but I couldn't stay awake. It was good to see a few people anyway. Hope you will consider Bouchercon next year in Sacramento.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Charles Todd (other topics)