2022 SQHS Your Literate Life - BOOK REVIEWS ONLY discussion

A List of Things That Didn't Kill Me- Jason Schmidt

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bella (new)

Bella | 12 comments A List of Things That Didn’t Kill Me by Jason Schmidt
Reviewed by Bella Mendoza

A List of Things That Didn’t Kill Me is the memoir of a boy growing up in the midst of the American AIDS epidemic. Jason’s father is a gay, drug addicted AIDS patient in the 1980s and life is not easy for them. The rest of the world doesn’t understand the way they live so it has to be kept a secret, just between Jason and his father. If navigating childhood wasn’t already hard enough, Mark isn’t very supportive of his son and doesn’t understand how to raise a child. Jason has to find his way through a confusing and unforgiving world on his own.

There is never a dull moment in this book. The way Jason tells his story is truly beautiful. The writing is very poetic yet still remains relatable. Growing up, this lifestyle was all Jason ever knew; it was his normal, as he explains in this book. This story may seem tragic, but since this story was Jason’s normal, it is framed in a way where the tragic things that happened are just another event in his life. This book makes the things that Jason experienced seem easier to relate to. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for an entertaining nonfiction read.

message 2: by Mason (new)

Mason Anderson | 6 comments This book seems incredibly detailed and interesting. I think i might read this book. Thank you.

message 3: by Bella (new)

Bella | 12 comments Mason wrote: "This book seems incredibly detailed and interesting. I think i might read this book. Thank you."

I do think that this book is full of details that really add to the story. I would recommend it for anyone that is looking for a non fiction book with a good story.

message 4: by Lara (new)

Lara Montoya (lariitaa_mg) | 14 comments This book seems interesting but kind of deep at the same time. I'll check it out.

message 5: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Mestre | 10 comments This book seems so interesting! I don't think I would normally think to read a book like this but it seems so interesting. I love that its poetic but still relatable, because I love poetic style but sometimes its just not relatable. I need to read more non-fiction and this seems like a good place to start!

message 6: by David (new)

David Carr (AGuyThatDoesntLikeBooks) | 9 comments this sounds like a really interesting book, I just might have o read and find out about the relatable aspect too that surely seems interesting thank you very much for recommending this book to me

message 7: by Bella (new)

Bella | 12 comments David wrote: "this sounds like a really interesting book, I just might have o read and find out about the relatable aspect too that surely seems interesting thank you very much for recommending this book to me"

I hope you get a chance to read it. It is really great and I think you will enjoy it.

message 8: by Jackelin (new)

Jackelin Perez | 8 comments I liked the way you described the book with a lot of detail to the main conflict. I will be checking it out