Temecula Valley Book Club discussion

GoodReads Recommendations service quirkiness

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Keith, Club Moderator (new)

Keith | 592 comments Mod
I don't typically pay much attention to the GoodReads Recommendations that pop up as I'm surfing the site, because I have so many books on my To Be Read list that I am usually not looking for any more ideas. But I did pause when I noticed the following:

"Because you read The Forty Rules of Love by Elif Shafak, consider Gettysburg by Newt Gingrich."

I mean, whaaaaaaaat? Forty Rules of Love is about the life of the love poet Rumi, and Gettysburg to the best of my knowledge is a battle in the American Civil War. I can't think of two subjects more polar opposite.

Have any of you ever run into a head-scratching recommendation like that, or have you found them helpful? Curious if it's just me because of my all over the place reading habits.

message 2: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (tanya712) | 238 comments I love Goodreads, but their recommendations are terrible. Whatever algorithm they use, they need a different one. I never even look at them anymore.

message 3: by Cari, Club Moderator (new)

Cari (mambaitaliana) | 326 comments Mod
Too funny. I had some romance recommendation the other day. I thought, “What in the...” I had just finished Grunt, but sure, that will seem to suit me. 🤦🏻‍♀️