Play Book Tag discussion

The Lost Queen (The Lost Queen Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about The Lost Queen
April 2019: History > The Lost Queen by Signe Pike – 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2022 comments The Lost Queen (The Lost Queen Trilogy #1) by Signe Pike

The Lost Queen by Signe Pike – 5 Stars

The Lost Queen is the first book in an anticipated trilogy, set in sixth-century Celtic Britain and featuring the sister of the man who will become Merlin. It's told from the point of view of Langoureth, the “lost queen” who is twin sister of Lailoken, the man who becomes the Merlin of Arthurian myth. If you are looking for more about Merlin, this book might be a disappointment to you because we only get to know Lailoken through the narrative of his sister's life. Langoureth desperately wants to become a Wisdom Keeper of the Old Ways like her twin brother, Lailoken, but her life has already been destined. She is the only daughter of a king who so she must be traded for security, wealth, etc.

The book is composed of three parts. The first is about the twins when they are ten. Their mother has just died and they are being raised by their father, Morken King, and members of the household, including Cathan, head Wisdom-keeper of Strathclyde. The second part tells us of Langoureth as she prepares for marriage to a man chosen by her father. Of course, that's not the man she loves. The final part deals with Langoureth as an adult.

When I first picked up this book the blurbs compared it to Outlander and Mists of Avalon. I think in attempting to appeal to some readers they run the risk of annoying others. I thought this story was so much more than either of those books. The Lost Queen has been meticulously researched and the author states she took six years for the research and writing. I thought it was the perfect blend of history and fiction, since many of the characters are actual historical figures. The writing is gorgeous and while the story is full of details, I didn't feel like it was cluttered with too many details that you had to skim over.

There's a bit of a YA feel here because so much of the book is set before Langoureth turns sixteen. There's a bit of romance, lots of history, some fantasy and of course, an evil monk. There's a real understanding of a time when new new religion of one god (Christianity), clashed with the Old Ways. I feel like that was not beaten to death but done as a way to explain many of the actual historical events taking place in Briton during that time period.

If you are a fan of audiobooks, I urge you to try this book in audio. The narrator, Toni Frutin, was phenomenal. I had not heard of her before this audio and hope she does a lot more narrating in the future. I am so happy that #12 was chosen in the PBT Trim The TBR Challenge. This book had been languishing on my shelf since its release last year. Untitled Book 2 is expected out next year and that one absolutely will not be languishing on any shelf. If you are a fan of historical fiction, history, myth, fantasy or discovering the unknown women of history, you can't go wrong reading this incredible novel.

message 2: by Barbara M (new) - added it

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2221 comments Going on my TBR and hoping the audio is available.

message 3: by Joanne (new) - added it

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7478 comments Already have this on my list-great review!

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 72 comments Wonderful author. Haven't read this book yet, thanks for the review!

message 5: by NancyJ (last edited Apr 20, 2019 11:16AM) (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5222 comments This sounds great. I've been wanting to delve into some more fantasy, and this might be perfect for me. I like that it was well researched, and grounded into a specific time and place.

I haven't read anything from the King Arthur/Merlin era (not as an adult anyway), so do you think it would be a good idea to read something else first to learn more about the mythology of the time?

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2022 comments NancyJ wrote: "This sounds great. I've been wanting to delve into some more fantasy, and this might be perfect for me. I like that it was well researched, and grounded into a specific time and place.

I haven't ..."

This book stands alone. I don"t think knowing anything about Arthurian legend matters at all. I only know the general outline myself. If it hadn't been advertised that way I would never have guessed myself

message 7: by Joanne (new) - added it

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7478 comments Nancy, so many Arthur/Merlin books out there, and they are all so different-I have read quite a few, and they all tell a different story.

message 8: by NancyJ (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5222 comments Thanks, that's good to know.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Lost Queen (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Signe Pike (other topics)