AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVELS discussion

The Forgiving Kind
This topic is about The Forgiving Kind
Dowsing for Water!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna Everhart (donnaeverhart) Hey y’all! I will be online today to answer questions between 4:00 to 5:00 p.m. EDT.

Today’s topic is about water divining, or dowsing for water.

Some think this is pseudo-science. Others who either have done it, or know someone who has, swear by the accuracy of a person’s ability to locate water underground. I have never experienced seeing this for myself, but a neighbor of mine has, and so have plenty of other people I’ve encountered at book events since THE FORGIVING KIND released. They have all told me stories of individuals who were able to drill for a well because a dowser came to their property and pointed to the spot that would yield water.

Of course, water is everywhere underneath us, just like the rivers, streams and creeks we can see above ground. The challenge is – at what depth? And where exactly? So, some might make the claim, “it’s everywhere, how could they not find it!” yet others are certain there are people who simply have this ability. They’ve seen it done time and again, with great success.
This was another topic I spent a lot of time researching. I watched YouTube videos, and read various articles – many of them scientific, and while my rational side leans toward the scientific, the dreamer/visionary/romantic in me believes it’s possible there are those who have this unique skill. I find it a fascinating topic. I like to think there are special people with this gift the rest of us don’t have, like those with extrasensory perception.

For my main narrator, Sonny Creech, I thought it was the perfect way to show her connection to the land she loves. In the story, her talent for dowsing is a discovery made when she’s nine years old. From what I understand in my conversations with individuals who know someone who dowses, not everyone related to them can do it. This is how the story is written, Sonny can do it, like her father, but not her brothers.

Have you ever seen someone dowse or divine water? Do you believe in it?
Follow me on social media for the latest publishing news, giveaways, and random photos of a little Yorkie.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/wordstogobuy

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/donnadavisev...

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann Creel | 80 comments Mod
The first time I ever heard of this, it was called water divining, implying that it's a gift of a spiritual kind, and am I right that some water diviners used a forked tree branch of some sort? I find it fascinating and do believe that some people have special abilities that we cannot explain scientifically. Very interesting to think about!

message 3: by Donna (new)

Donna Everhart (donnaeverhart) Ann wrote: "The first time I ever heard of this, it was called water divining, implying that it's a gift of a spiritual kind, and am I right that some water diviners used a forked tree branch of some sort? I f..."

I think I heard about it as a kid - but I've yet to see it done. I think it's fascinating too (that's partly why I included it in the story) and am just about of a mind to find someone to show me!

MissSusie | 10 comments I've seen water diviners work it is an amazing skill that is real!

Tammy(PeaceLoveBooks) (tammathau) When I was growing up in the 70's, my parents rented an old farmhouse from an old farmer. I loved the days when he would come out to putter in his barn. I wasn't allowed in the barn per my parents but he always invited me in. I thought this man was the wisest, coolest person! I remember him showing me a stick he kept in the barn that he said was for water witching. He told me all about how the stick was his father's that was passed down to him and explained how it worked. He never actually showed me though. Of course, looking back, he could've just shown me any old stick and I would've believed him!

message 6: by Donna (new)

Donna Everhart (donnaeverhart) MissSusie wrote: "I've seen water diviners work it is an amazing skill that is real!"

I want to see it, but keep thinking then I might want to try too. (and I'd then freak myself out if it worked. Ha!)

message 7: by Donna (new)

Donna Everhart (donnaeverhart) Tammy wrote: "When I was growing up in the 70's, my parents rented an old farmhouse from an old farmer. I loved the days when he would come out to putter in his barn. I wasn't allowed in the barn per my parents ..."

OMG - it's like he could've been Sonny's father! That's what happens in the book! How about that.

Tammy(PeaceLoveBooks) (tammathau) Donna wrote: "Tammy wrote: "When I was growing up in the 70's, my parents rented an old farmhouse from an old farmer. I loved the days when he would come out to putter in his barn. I wasn't allowed in the barn p..."

This old man told a lot of stories or tall tales as my dad called them!