Art Lovers discussion

Guess Who (by artist's works!) > Not my hometown (Wassily Kandinsky)

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2706 comments Heather, rest assured this next one is less obscure!

message 2: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments 👍😊

message 3: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2706 comments Heather wrote: "👍😊"

No guesses?

message 4: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments I can't see the painting, sorry!

message 5: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments nolde

message 6: by Dirk (last edited Apr 17, 2019 01:01PM) (new)

Dirk Van | 2706 comments Not Nolde, but that's a pretty good guess Geoffrey, almost exactly the same time period.

message 7: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 360 comments August Macke?

message 8: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2706 comments Not Macke, but that is also a very good guess, let's post another one:

message 9: by Gino (new)

Gino Verberckmoes | 13 comments Georges Braques or Georges Seurat ?

message 10: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2706 comments Braques is very close Gino!
But the nationality is wrong and for a period this artist was connected to Bauhaus.

message 11: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2706 comments All right, maybe it’s time for a third painting?

message 12: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments So he's a Blue Reiter. The guy whose name starts with V

message 13: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2706 comments The V for his first name or his surname?

message 14: by Ruth (last edited Apr 18, 2019 10:32AM) (new)

Ruth | 1890 comments Geoffrey wrote: "So he's a Blue Reiter. The guy whose name starts with V"

I just popped in to guess Blaue Reiter. You beat me to it.

message 15: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2706 comments Well yes, the painting above is titled: Der Blaue Reiter, I assume that you know the artist then...

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris Gager (chrisinmaine) | 332 comments Jawlenski? I looked it up

message 17: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2706 comments Ha, that sounds a bit like the name we're looking for ;-)
The "...ski" is correct ;-)

message 18: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2706 comments You're correct Chris in that Alexej von Jawlensky was also a key member of the Blaue Reiter, but it is the other Russian we're looking for...

message 19: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments vermink or something. I am going to have to check the internet

message 20: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Yavlenski. but that's not the guy I have been thinking.

message 21: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments It’s good you and Gino and Chris know something about this person. I’ve never heard of either of them, the one just named or the artist on question.

message 22: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Heather wrote: "It’s good you and Gino and Chris know something about this person. I’ve never heard of either of them, the one just named or the artist on question."

I don´t know him either Heather. I searched on the net.

message 23: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments Hmmm, thank you for making me feel not so ignorant! Lol

message 24: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments Maybe this one was a bit more obscure than originally stated...

message 25: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2706 comments Well… once more I’m baffled at the difference in knowledge.

When the last record, of an auction sale at Christie’s in 2012, reached 23 Million $, it can only means this artist is not so obscure… I think.

Some more facts:
-Born in Moskou 1866
-Germany when 30 years old, part of the Blaue Reiter.
-Back to Moskou at the beginning of WW1. Married a 16 year old girlfriend (he was 50)
-After the war back to Germany where he was connected to Bauhaus until the Nazi’s shut it down
-Then Paris until his death in 1944

Maybe this will ring a bell?

message 26: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 360 comments W. Kandinsky was also a member of the group. I was familiar with his later work, but not his earlier style.

message 27: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2706 comments Yeah!
Congratulations Connie!
It is indeed Kandinsky!

message 28: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments Oh wow! Ok, I concede I do know Kandinsky and I almost put that because he’s the only ‘sky’ I know. But the ‘V’ in the name threw me off. Haha I’m sorry, Dirk. You’re right! I’ve never seen any of these paintings of his before. But he’s not obscure. You fooled me!

message 29: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8273 comments Oh! Now I see the last painting! (I couldn’t see it on my phone). I do know that one. But I looked up the Bauhaus group and he wasn’t listed on the site I looked up. In fact, I didn’t know most of the artists listed there. Now here comes my ignorance. Haha

message 30: by Dirk (last edited Apr 19, 2019 01:23AM) (new)

Dirk Van | 2706 comments I must admit that I like the first three paintings more than his more famous work.
I find his abstract works (mostly) too chaotic...

And let's see, I think I have a handful more artists that are (more or less) famous. The next one I will post if I have a bit of time and will probably be guessed within 20 minutes by the first one of you guys who sees it !

Wanna bet?