What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Historical Romance Fiction- Falsely Accused and Pregnant

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ariel (last edited Apr 16, 2019 09:03PM) (new)

Ariel | 3 comments Adult Fiction- Historical Romance (Regency maybe?)

Spoiler Free Version:

Young girl is about to enter society and has her sights centered on one rake in particular. They marry and she gets pregnant, but after some trouble arises he falsely accuses her of infidelity. Through the process of annulling the marriage he finds out he was wrong and apologizes. His own secrets come out and cause a little more strain on their marriage but they work through and have their happy ever after.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Focuses on a girl entering society. She considers herself (and is) a bit stupid, but admires others that are smart and knowledgeable. She becomes enamored with a family friend(?) and they wind up marrying after a kiss in the billiards room. He has some secrets that come out about previous children and in the midst of trying to hide it he falsely accuses her of cheating after he finds her passed out at another man's house(in his bed).
She becomes a social pariah and moves back with her family. He allows rumors to run wild about her and proceeds with trying to annul their marriage. At the hearing she makes it clear to everyone she would never cheat on her husband. His secrets come out soon after. He has 3-4 daughters out of wedlock. She invites them all to come and live with them as a family. He apologizes, she forgives, they live happily ever after.

I want to say that I read this book about 4-5 years ago and I stumbled upon it by chance on Goodreads. I've tried to find my way back to it on here, but I haven't had any luck yet.

Has everything typical Chic Lit is meant to offer.

I remember really liking the cover for this book but I can't recall any distinctive features....

Please help if you can!

message 2: by Kris (last edited Apr 18, 2019 10:32AM) (new)

Kris | 34332 comments Mod
Ariel, clever idea to provide us with two plot descriptions - "spoiler free version" vs. "spoilers ahead".

A guess - Once a Duchess by Elizabeth Boyce? There are references to "billiards" in the Google Books preview - https://books.google.com/books?id=pR3...

(Google search - site:www.goodreads.com "historical romance" falsely accused affair divorce "trial")

message 3: by Ariel (new)

Ariel | 3 comments Kris wrote: "Ariel, clever idea to provide us with two plot descriptions - "spoiler free version" vs. "spoilers ahead".

A guess - Once a Duchess by Elizabeth Boyce? There are r..."

This plot is so close I could cry. The heroine in this particular book doesnt consider looking for another husband though. She keeps trying to reconcile with her husband but he refuses to associate with her until the trial for annulment. I remember that she had to walk back home in the snow after trying see him at his house.

I'm still looking though.

message 4: by Ariel (new)

Ariel | 3 comments The closest plot line I've been able to find that matches the one I'm looking for is The Duke's Double byAnita Mills and The Hellion and The Heartbreaker by Jennifer McNare. Its similar to both.

A huge part of the plotline is that the heroine has a hard time learning and considers herself stupid. She highly admires those smarter than her though and looks for it in a husband.